• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

Still no dedicated thread for the Dauphine, if I am not mistaken, and the race begins tomorrow.

So I take the liberty to start discussion.

Route:
Pretty much the same race design as over some previous years, following the well-known sequence: short ITT => two hilly stages => a mid-race time trial (TTT this time) => four MTF stages (most of them short ones) loaded with mountains.

Stage profiles:

P: Valence => Valence (flat ITT 6,6 km)
34f38

1: Valence => Saint-Just-Saint-Rambert (hilly, 179 km)
44e52

2: Montbrison => Belleville (hilly, 181 km)
f8763

3: Pont-de-Vaux => Louhans-Chateaurenard (flat TTT, 35 km)

4: Chazey-sur-Ain => Lans-en-Vercors (mountain, MTF, 181 km)
6d736

2ed4a

5: Grenoble => Valmorel (single mountain, MTF, 130 km)
c483e

4b9bd

6: Frontenex => La Rosiere Espace San Bernardo (mountain, MTF 110 km)
7f3a5

7: Moutiers -> Saint-Gervais-les-Bains (Le Bettex – Mont Blanc) (mountain, MTF, 136 km)
a785b

40fb5

Full startlist:
https://www.criterium-du-dauphine.fr/en/riders

Teams and key riders:
Ag2R (Bardet, Gallopin, Latour, Vuillermoz)
Astana (Bilbao)
Bahrain (Nibali)
BMC (Caruso, Teuns)
Bora (Buchmann, McCarthy)
Cofidis (Herrada x2)
Dimension Data (Boasson Hagen, Cummings)
EF (Rolland)
Fortuneo (Barguil)
Groupama-FdJ
Katusha (Zakarin)
Lotto-Jumbo
Lotto-Soudal (Benoot, de Gendt)
Mitchelton (A. Yates)
Movistar (Soler)
Quickstep (Jungels, Alaphilippe)
Sky (Thomas, Kwiatkowski, Moscon)
Sunweb
Trek (Brambilla)
UAE (D. Martin)
Vital Concept
Wanty (G. Martin)

Overall impression is that this years TdS takes a deserved revenge on CdD in terms of startlist quality, but even if it is true - you can’t really complain.

Re: Critritum du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

The dauphine has always been pretty good for the last few years but I just hate that the ASO doesn't care about this race itself and makes it all about the Tour de France already. You have a crucial TTT in the tour, you have one here too; You don't want to get tired in a preparation race, so the last three mountain stages are all ridiculously short; You plan to make a recon ride for stage 11 in the tour? You can just do it here as we have the exact same stage in the dauphine route too.
Even the innovative stages in the dauphine are usually just there to test climbs for future tdf editions. This all robs the dauphine it's character and makes it less of a race than a tdf training camp with an official winner

Gigs_98 said:
The dauphine has always been pretty good for the last few years but I just hate that the ASO doesn't care about this race itself and makes it all about the Tour de France already. You have a crucial TTT in the tour, you have one here too; You don't want to get tired in a preparation race, so the last three mountain stages are all ridiculously short; You plan to make a recon ride for stage 11 in the tour? You can just do it here as we have the exact same stage in the dauphine route too.
Even the innovative stages in the dauphine are usually just there to test climbs for future tdf editions. This all robs the dauphine it's character and makes it less of a race than a tdf training camp with an official winner

This year that shouldn't even be an issue, what with the longer time between CdD and TdF this year?

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
This year that shouldn't even be an issue, what with the longer time between CdD and TdF this year?

Isn't that exactly the problem? The Tour is more than a month away so if you're flying here you have a pretty big issue on your hands. That's presumably also why the startlist is bad compared to Suisse, with the latter now being in the traditional CdD slot compared to the Tour.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
When does the broadcasting start on the mountain stages? I'm asking because I wouldn't want to miss out on tv pictures when they pass Cormet de Roselend via Col du Pré. Great climb, it is.
Pretty late, only just something like 1 hour and 35 minutes as far as I can tell.

I don't like the route either and the startlist is quite bad. Not feeling the hype for this race this year.

The TTT would simply have killed the GC race if Froome (or Bernal) was leading Sky, but Thomas or Kwiatkowski can at least in theory be toppled if someone else is super strong on the climbs. I’m not sure how likely it is that anyone will be super strong though, given the gap to the Tour.

i guess it should be interesting to see;
does this AG2R can keep up with a+b sky, bmc and bahrain in the ttt?
does this sky and thomas can hold an advantage 4 days in the mtn?
does a bmc looking for contracts can take a possible leader until the 1st mtn? or qs?
witch Martin, Yates, Zaka and Nibali will show up in the mtn?
final sprint with b+c sprinters is always fun..
i`m interest..

In my head this is the premier week long stage race, or at least, the one I would most want on my palmares. But this year is definitely different - and it's probably for the best because Tour de Suisse definitely needed a boost. Was getting really b grade.

Still a decent field for the Dauphine. I'm kind of interested in how Jungels will go. Podium: Bardet, Nibali & Thomas, not sure which order.

The extra week to TdF has really changed CdD - expect guys trying to get on their teams for TdF to go 100% otherwise GC contenders for TdF will treat it as a training stint.
(Oh, and De Gendt to be in the breakaway :))

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts