• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014: Stage 2, Tarare - Col du Beal

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this?

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just Valverde imo. Purito could've done but I've noticed this past year and a bit he likes to pace himself back rather than follow ridiculous accelerations. Quintana I don't think is explosive enough to follow an all out attack from Froome like we saw today but for sure he would've had a good chance to ride back on the wheel. I don't think any of the others listed would stand much chance. Also Valverde might've blown up before the finish if he responded to all the moves.

Rollthedice said:
Froome was desperate to show today he is the strongest. I think this obsesive desire to humiliate Contador and everybody else for that matter, will cost him in the long run which is TdF. Already he is struggling to drop his contenders. Sky team is a joke so Froomster will be on his own most of the time on the mountains. He still has the TT to win but it's in the third week. I think we will have a very interesting Tour.

Yer he is well out of order for trying to win a race, pure scum .:rolleyes:

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Just back home and watched final mountain. Very entertaining stage.

A few takeaways me seems:

- Froome should talk to a tactics coach
- Sky weaker than I thought
- Nibbles on track
- Berti confirms his awesome early season
- Keldermerckx impressive coming out of the Giro, esp if you compare to others today (Moreno, Hesjedal)
- VDB is back
- Talansky did not get a lot of probs in the topic, but that was an awesome performance, he showed nothing this season so far, so he is on track
- TJVG confirms that he fits well in the BMC team
- Yates will rule stage races in 3 years time

I see Vino getting more correspondence ready for Nibali. Very good rides by Talansky and VDB also Kelderman. Froome having some fun and Contador wheelsucking on a mountain. Who would have thought ? And I thought only Evans did that ? TJVG only lost two and a half minutes so the Tour is looking good for BMC. I still think that Talansky will be a better rider than TJVG in the long term. Kwiatowski dropped early as was Porte who might be having illness problems again or just lack the fitness. So far this has been an entertaining race.

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
indianfanboy said:
Contador says that he had a small mechanical problem in the last kilometer when he was riding off the saddle

Where he said that? I just read an interview of him and he didn't say anything about mech problems.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I just saw the last 5km. I would say

a/ Contador looked very good. Comfortable, strong and confident, I get flashbacks of 2009 AC. I think he could have pulled ahead sometimes but held back, maybe for tactical reasons. I agree, it was really pointless to burn all that energy on day 2. or to prove a point. I see he is now mostly out of the saddle, reminds me of Horner at the Vuelta last year. I know AC rides out of the saddle a lot but he seems to be generating much more power and for long periods sort of like 2009.
b/ Froome pulled for all 5km?? Why waste energy? Chase after folks who were not rivals? He wanted to prove a point. Froome's approach is the "bully" approach. He will clubber you mentally with physical power. The funny thing we know about bullies is that they crumble when someone stands up to them. He did not know what to do when AC stuck to his wheel. I would like to know Froome's wheel and cassette diameter, how is he generating so much power with so much cadence on a hill?

Froome reminds me of him at 2012 Vuelta, he burned out after a while. The impact from TDF 2013 (the excuse we thought). He thinks he is Capt. Superman and rides with what appears very little tactical sense. Oh, Capt Superman does not believe he needs a team to win, so Porte not showing up means little to him. He probably feels he does not need Wiggins to win.

I wondered how AC would win against Froome. Now I know. Stand up to him and he will crumble mentally. Thats it, just speak to him wheel to wheel, man to man, eyeball to eyeball. The mind games is the key game to win, forget the bike stuff, thats secondary. Any world class champion in any world sport will tell you that.

The most interesting section of today's race, of course, was the last 5 or 6 K (and then the last 300 meters!) of the Col du Beal, and the conversations it's generated about Froome and Contador make for greatly interesting reading.

But one of the subplots on the day deserves at least a tip of the hat, and that's the performance of Europcar's Kevin Reza in the breakaway, taking maximum mountain points on the first five of today's six categorized climbs. I don't know whether that team's going to hang on to their WT status or not, but they do occasionally manage to put on an entertaining performance, eh?

jilbiker said:
I just saw the last 5km. I would say

a/ Contador looked very good. Comfortable, strong and confident, I get flashbacks of 2009 AC. I think he could have pulled ahead sometimes but held back, maybe for tactical reasons. I agree, it was really pointless to burn all that energy on day 2. or to prove a point. I see he is now mostly out of the saddle, reminds me of Horner at the Vuelta last year. I know AC rides out of the saddle a lot but he seems to be generating much more power and for long periods sort of like 2009.
b/ Froome pulled for all 5km?? Why waste energy? Chase after folks who were not rivals? He wanted to prove a point. Froome's approach is the "bully" approach. He will clubber you mentally with physical power. The funny thing we know about bullies is that they crumble when someone stands up to them. He did not know what to do when AC stuck to his wheel. I would like to know Froome's wheel and cassette diameter, how is he generating so much power with so much cadence on a hill?

Froome reminds me of him at 2012 Vuelta, he burned out after a while. The impact from TDF 2013 (the excuse we thought). He thinks he is Capt. Superman and rides with what appears very little tactical sense. Oh, Capt Superman does not believe he needs a team to win, so Porte not showing up means little to him. He probably feels he does not need Wiggins to win.

I wondered how AC would win against Froome. Now I know. Stand up to him and he will crumble mentally. Thats it, just speak to him wheel to wheel, man to man, eyeball to eyeball. The mind games is the key game to win, forget the bike stuff, thats secondary. Any world class champion in any world sport will tell you that.

Yeah, sure! Just ask Northug…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K7iL0FfXmO0#t=131

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Wiggo must've had a good laugh when he saw Porte getting his parking ticket about 6 km early. Can't make up for that in less than a month's time.

Contador taking a page out of Zoetemelk's/Evans' playbook. Would be masterful of him if he kept that position purposely, not showing his hand until the first mountain finish in TdF, though I doubt that'll be the case.

Impressive rides from VDB and Talansky. Van Garderen still hasn't realized it's better to ride at your own pace rather than hold on for as long as you can and then buy a parking ticket. Kid doesn't have the smarts nor the capacities to get a good GC today.

Froome's crumbling form in the 2012 Vuelta had a lot more to do with his 2012 TDF than his 'bullying' tactics wearing him out IMO. Contador does have the clear advantage when it comes to tactical acumen, but I don't think Froome can be realistically called weak mentally.

Seeing photos of his smiling face on the podium today does not remind me at all of a man fearful of his rivals or lacking in confidence. Nor should he be one after the performances he put in the last two days.

TRENDING THREADS