• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium International - St 1: Porto Vecchio Col de lÂ’Ospedale, 176km

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
More worrying is that seeing Contador was on a bad one and it was a day for the 2nd tier riders it makes losing 5 minutes even worse. How can he expect to make up that 5 minutes and then surpass it?

Now in saying all that we'll probably see him bomb of the front and smash the the entire field by 5 minutes come Tour time. I think if that occurs there will be a rider protest.

Do you know how to finish 5 minutes down? don't try. More telling would be if he was at 100% and lost by 4. I have to laugh, people are going to think I'm an armstrong fan before long.

karlboss said:
Do you know how to finish 5 minutes down? don't try. More telling would be if he was at 100% and lost by 4. I have to laugh, people are going to think I'm an armstrong fan before long.

Then why show up? Why have yourself be a protected rider? Ride as a domestique for the others, grab water and food and just play the role to the fullest. He scouted the route the day before because he wanted to find the prettiest part of the climb to shut it down? I'm just not buying it. He was trying. He didn't go in the red, but he was definitely trying.

EDIT: Those questions are rhetorical (i.e., not questioning you).

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I just watched this and looked at the opening scene where Armstrong is talking to Miller..... are those man-boobs I see??

Why is Armstrong talking to Millar? Or Millar to Armstrong? I though once Millar became 'St. Millar of Garmin' he would not talk to him?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Then why show up? Why have yourself be a protected rider? Ride as a domestique for the others, grab water and food and just play the role to the fullest. He scouted the route the day before because he wanted to find the prettiest part of the climb to shut it down? I'm just not buying it. He was trying. He didn't go in the red, but he was definitely trying.

EDIT: Those questions are rhetorical (i.e., not questioning you).

i should be clear.

I guess if I was guaging Armstrong's form from this climb, I'd be pointing to the fact that he was unhitched at 5km to go, after Navarro pulled off when Vino starts,that was when he stopped trying. The time he loses after is irrelevant.

thehog said:
Now in saying all that we'll probably see him bomb of the front and smash the the entire field by 5 minutes come Tour time. I think if that occurs there will be a rider protest.

The riders won't protest. They're too scared of him and the power he wields both in the peloton and behind the scenes.

They'll meekly go along with the program just like they have since 1999. They know better than to question the "myth", which has become a powerful immovable object, what with his cozy relationship with the UCI and all.

As for Contador, seasonal allergies are terrible. No way could he have ridden like his old self if he was suffering from this.