• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium International - St 1: Porto Vecchio Col de lÂ’Ospedale, 176km

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Publicus said:
What the hell happened to him? In January he looked great--basically the same form he had at the Tour. In two months he's completely regressed. He doesn't look like a pro. Maybe a retired 7-time Tour champion, but not a contender.

Steroid cycle...just like Fuentes' training plan for Hamilton included.

He is not fat. He is "thick muscled." You can see from the super low body fat percentage on his legs and arms that he is not fat.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
It's awful. It is black slimy butter! Yuck!
BroDeal said:
Steroid cycle...just like Fuentes' training plan for Hamilton included.

He is not fat. He is "thick muscled." You can see from the super low body fat percentage on his legs and arms that he is not fat.

1) you could see some gut
2) Why did he suck so much if he is "thick muscled". He wouldn't of lost that maount of time for being "thick muscled".

Publicus said:
What the hell happened to him? In January he looked great--basically the same form he had at the Tour. In two months he's completely regressed. He doesn't look like a pro. Maybe a retired 7-time Tour champion, but not a contender.

I think once he got the payment for TDU and went to Hawaii with the family he just couldn't be farked anymore. The long haul travel also steals days away from your training. You cannot do a 6 hour ride for at least 4-5 days and you feel like s1it even when travelling on a private jet.

I think most of all it was Contador. When Armstrong started spewing all that stuff about Alberto and the wheels etc. and Contador just smiled and shrugged it off it really got to Armstrong. He knows he can't beat him on or off the bike.

I think Armstrong also got himself into a hole with Radioshack. He now has to support the team and it's riders when I think he'd just prefer to slip away.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
How did Versus spin the shelling out the back of LA?

I really wanted to see how Phil and Bob were going to wash LA's ball, they weren't that bad. Here are a couple things that stuck out to me. I also added a couple comments from my dad who only knows cycling from watching live a couple stages in the Tour of Cali.

Phil and Bob thought it was stupid for Euskatel to be on the front chasing the three. I think they may have said boneheaded.

Both admitted Astana wasn't as weak as they thought they would be. Said something along the lines of they built a team with riders during the transfer period that really seems to be working together and in sync.

When LA was rocketing backwards, Phil said he rode with LA in South Africa and he can really ride a bike. He gave the excuse the Lance is still recovering from his illness. That it was early in the year. They were overjoyed at RS doing so well, Horner and Machado who was called by a different name every time Phil said it.

My dad was watching the last bit with me, he came to do yard work, his comments were why were so many teammates with the old guy? He seemed too far back to "get in trouble" and need help. Unless the course cones were bring picked up and the guys were his map holders. I laughed... Didn't have an answer for him. As he pointed out, some of the other guys back there actually did turns at the front, which is why they were back that far. Why would a professional who didn't kill himself for the team be back that far. Said he should get Weight Watchers on the line.

auscyclefan94 said:
1) you could see some gut
2) Why did he suck so much if he is "thick muscled". He wouldn't of lost that maount of time for being "thick muscled".

He cannot climb because he is huge, i.e. heavy. You can see the muscle in his biceps, triceps, shoulders, and pecs. I bet he has a sixpack.

His training also has not been consistent, so he is down on power.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He cannot climb because he is huge, i.e. heavy. You can see the muscle in his biceps, triceps, shoulders, and pecs. I bet he has a sixpack.
His training also has not been consistent, so he is down on power.

Bro Deal, What have you been up to? Do you know something we don't?:D

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
His excuse was that his body was still malfunctioning from his illness. Well, lets see if his TT is any better, because I can't see how a body malfunction will affect him in a 8 km ITT... I'm a bit of a fan of him and seriously disappointed...

ErmOkk said:
His excuse was that his body was still malfunctioning from his illness. Well, lets see if his TT is any better, because I can't see how a body malfunction will affect him in a 8 km ITT... I'm a bit of a fan of him and seriously disappointed...

I don't believe he was actually sick. It was an excuse not to suffer through 300km at MSR.

We did not see anything in stage 1 that would indicate that he has the power to do well at the ITT.

auscyclefan94 said:
He's saying that he doesn't have the gut, which i find hard to believe!

Use of lots insulin or IGF-1, possibly in conjunction with HGH (no one is really sure), causes visceral fat gain in the abdomen. Fat is gained around internal organs instead of under the skin. This is why body builders have stomachs that look like beer bellies even though they have super low subcutaneous fat levels and you can see all their stomach muscles when they flex.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have that DVD named 'Crash' and he wasn't too bad. But then no mention of Piestrong. It's the same with Ligget and Shewin, when they do a race where there is no aforementioned Piestrong racing, they aren't too bad.

karlboss said:
i know you are extreme anti lance, but that is clearly the 5km banner he passes and he's already off the back.
You are correct, he was dropping off the back at 5kms.....half a km before Vino stepped on the gas.
So, in fact, the truth is worse than the fiction.
Still, it is quite clear he never went into the red, but rode within himself.
Since he rides to train and is training when competing, he might as well stay home until July.
I suppose he is keeping the ass cam guy in a job, though.

Mellow Velo said:
You are correct, he was dropping off the back at 5kms.....half a km before Vino stepped on the gas.
So, in fact, the truth is worse than the fiction.
Still, it is quite clear he never went into the red, but rode within himself.
Since he rides to train and is training when competing, he might as well stay home until July.
I suppose he is keeping the ass cam guy in a job, though.

More worrying is that seeing Contador was on a bad one and it was a day for the 2nd tier riders it makes losing 5 minutes even worse. How can he expect to make up that 5 minutes and then surpass it?

Now in saying all that we'll probably see him bomb of the front and smash the the entire field by 5 minutes come Tour time. I think if that occurs there will be a rider protest.