• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium International - The showdown

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
richwagmn said:
Second. RS does have a super strong team. If AC was still racing for JB, he could almost phone in the tour. Still strange to me that JB chose LA over AC. I just can't figure that out.

LA looks to me like he's already lost interest. He got his name back in the headlines and made the podium. I'm sure he knows what he's up against with AC.

I still worry a bit about Astana. AC's going to need someone with him at least part way up the climbs. You just never know when something bad might happen. It'd be a shame if AC has some incident at the TDF that could have been easily rectified had he had a team mate. No idea what that would be, but I'm just sayin, it does worry me.

Maybe AC just attaches himself to the Astana or Saxo-Bank train and dares someone to attack or uses them to launch his own attack (ala Verbier).

Assuming he recovers from injury, David De la Fuente will likely serve in that role. There is also Jufre (who seems to be going well), Tiralongo (8th at the Vuelta last year), Navarro and/or Fofonov. There is a very long time between today and July, but these guys seem up to the task so far.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
First quotes from Contador's press conference.

Asked at a news conference on a possible message to the seven-time U.S. Tour winner, Contador has outlined a smile and said: "No message. I come here only because it's best for my preparation and I send no message anyone.

The Spaniard explained that he changed his schedule "because (his) preparation for the Tour is almost perfect at the moment."

My results were very good. Paris-Nice was a tough race. After that, the Tour of Catalonia, it was seven days of racing with a term not very good for my characteristics. The Criterium is only two days with a good run for me, "he said after Thursday acknowledged the course of the race of the coastlines and Friday's against the clock.

Asked about the competitors he most feared, Contador said he had "several strong riders."

"I can not give any names. But there is one who is strong, it's Cadel Evans, the Australian world champion," he added.

Regarding Armstrong, he said that "there are riders who are currently in better shape than him."
http://www.lematin.ch/flash-info/criterium-international-contador-envoie-message-armstrong

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Still strange to me that JB chose LA over AC. I just can't figure that out.

I still remember JB's comments after Alberto won the Giro in 2008, when he could not race the TDF. JB had commented something to the effect of being bored or not finding the whole thing exciting.

Not sure if that meant that AC was just too good compared to everyone else (when he's juiced up) or not.

Perhaps AC is too small-townish for him and not the overwhelming presence of LA.

Regardless, you could see JB just light up again with LA announced coming out of retirement. Must have brought back the good old days and memories of that.

But that rush only lasts so long. I really do have to wonder if JB will stick around as much with LA not being a seemingly realistic competitor.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Because AC will be able to match Vino's attacks and use them as a springboard for success there'll be no opportunity to talk about Vino attacking his teammate. Ullrich had problems because he didn't have that explosive change of pace.

franciep10 said:
This thread should be Renamed Criterium International- The smackdown because this isn't going to be a show down

CN is still billing it as The Showdown:

Further spice is added as Tour favourites Alberto Contador (Astana) and Lance Armstrong (RadioShack) will come face-to-face for the first time since last year’s Tour de France, where a feud between the two then teammates escalated.

Really, CN? I guess it's all about building a narrative...

Moose McKnuckles said:
Of course it's about building a narrative. What's the problem here? The media wants a feud and the feuds gets fans excited.

Nothing wrong with promoting a feud. But at this point, I think Evans V Contador is a lot more plausible AND compelling. (B/c they are likely to be two top animators during the race.)

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Of course it's about building a narrative. What's the problem here? The media wants a feud and the feuds gets fans excited.

some feuds maybe. i'm up for a good feud. a real one. this feud is a fraud. and everyone knows it.

there are real stories. it's just that journalists and editors are as lazy as everyone else and if they can live off the low hanging fruit, they will. i realize they have ads to sell and real services to provide.

sadly, it's these moronic, yet extremely popular frames that support all of the serious journalism and everything else that happens here.

the problem is that setting this genuinely wonderful and interesting bike race in the frame of "lance v berto: the showdown," belittles us all. the race, the racers, the fans, everybody. it makes us all a little dumber.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Nothing wrong with promoting a feud. But at this point, I think Evans V Contador is a lot more plausible AND compelling. (B/c they are likely to be two top animators during the race.)

Armstrong will animate the headlines though:rolleyes:

Armstrong's excuses have already started...
@LA
Off to bed now. Some good racing tomorrow and Sunday - my condition is improving but not there yet. Alberto, Evans, Rogers, Sanchez, etc..

auscyclefan94 said:
Armstrong will animate the headlines though:rolleyes:

Armstrong's excuses have already started...
@LA
Off to bed now. Some good racing tomorrow and Sunday - my condition is improving but not there yet. Alberto, Evans, Rogers, Sanchez, etc..

They've been on that for over a week now. JB got it started. Then Bob Rolle. Then Allan Gallopin. Yesterday it was Phil Liggett. They have to preserve the notion that July will be magically different.

Unfortunately, as AC made clear in his press conference, his form in July will be significantly better than it is now.

That being said, I'm looking forward to a side of schadenfreude with my coffee in the morning. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
They've been on that for over a week now. JB got it started. Then Bob Rolle. Then Allan Gallopin. Yesterday it was Phil Liggett. They have to preserve the notion that July will be magically different.

Unfortunately, as AC made clear in his press conference, his form in July will be significantly better than it is now.

That being said, I'm looking forward to a side of schadenfreude with my coffee in the morning. :D

did those guys say that on versus?

auscyclefan94 said:
did those guys say that on versus?

Actually online articles. Check the Versus website.

EDIT: Just saw this in an AP article.
He doesn’t have to prove that he knows himself perfectly,” said Gallopin. “If we can win, we’re going to try, but in my view that’s going to be difficult.”

“Lance is taking a slower approach to his objective,” added Gallopin. “Lance isn’t stupid, he knows what his level is, and in any case, this a two-day race: His strength is a three-week race.

Allan says this like a 2-day race is AC or Evans or any other GC contenders strength. They are really working overtime to explain in advance why Lance may look like *** tomorrow.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Actually online articles. Check the Versus website.

EDIT: Just saw this in an AP article.

Allan says this like a 2-day race is AC or Evans or any other GC contenders strength. They are really working overtime to explain in advance why Lance may look like *** tomorrow.

God I am looking forward to that!:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Does it not cross any of these idiots minds that a really significant jump in form, not comparable to anything that has previously been apparent during the season, will simply cause tongues to wag like never before?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Does it not cross any of these idiots minds that a really significant jump in form, not comparable to anything that has previously been apparent during the season, will simply cause tongues to wag like never before?

Why? He did that many years when he won the tour. It's not like he ever showed anything in a March race when he won the Tour.

Lance was dominant in time trials at the Tour during his 7 year run. His biggest ITT win prior to June during that stretch? The tour of Georgia.

I'm not saying he'll win the tour or even podium... but I expect him to be much better in July then he is now... just like he was every other year he's ridden for the GC in the tour.

Now you can comment on what a jump like that means regarding doping and such... but if it didn't raise eyebrows his last 8 TDF seasons enough to cause any reaction then I fail to see why it would this year.

kurtinsc said:
Why? He did that many years when he won the tour. It's not like he ever showed anything in a March race when he won the Tour.

Lance was dominant in time trials at the Tour during his 7 year run. His biggest ITT win prior to June during that stretch? The tour of Georgia.

I'm not saying he'll win the tour or even podium... but I expect him to be much better in July then he is now... just like he was every other year he's ridden for the GC in the tour.

Now you can comment on what a jump like that means regarding doping and such... but if it didn't raise eyebrows his last 8 TDF seasons enough to cause any reaction then I fail to see why it would this year.

You're completely wrong.

Go ahead and look up Armstrong's past performance in the Amstel Gold race during the Tour winning years - he showed up and kicked ***, won once and got 2nd like 3 times.

kurtinsc said:

Except for those who are stupid, it did raise eyebrows. Although, "raising" is a rather mild word for what happened. It implies a slow process. In Armstrong's case it was more like the quick action down south elevation that might be encountered upon crossing the threshold of the Playboy mansion on naked party night.

kurtinsc said:

That all may be true, but the sport of cycling is much more visible now compared to during his prior wins. If he looks like meh in all of the pre-Tour races and suddenly looks like he's 2002 Lance, everyone will know what's up. It's not because he trains harder, or his higher cadence, and it certainly isn't because he watches what he eats. All those convenient excuses aren't going to be there any more. He needs RESULTS (IMO).

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

Those tongues will wag irregardless lol, same as it ever was.

But seriously, Lance is an old man and he has one good peak in him this year.
That peak will be in July if all goes to plan

And it may get him a top 20 or better in the TdF.

Forumite David Suro wrote a wonderful post in the Clinic thread "Cycling in the 70's to the present day". It explains the advancement of peaking:
Partial quote....the entire post is a wonderful read, thank you David!

David Suro said:
Enter Greg LeMond. LeMond and his training staff recognized that a rider could be at his absolute best for only a couple of weeks out of the year. Given that the TdF was the only race that had a decent sized following in the United States, Lemond decided to have that be the sole focus of his season for obvious financial reasons. He trained with near singular focus on the Tour and achieved fantastic results. He built to a second 'peak' for World's and showed success there, too.
+
Armstrong, Charmichael, and Bruyneal refined the science of building to a specific 'peak' for the TdF beyond what any other team could accomplish.

I expect to see an interesting dynamic as we approach the TdF in July. First, Alberto will wupp Lance's keester during all the pre-tour "showdowns". Lance will be gracious in defeat I will guess...

Second, when we finally get to France in July - and if both riders start - Lance will enjoy an "UnderDog" fan base that will be reminiscent of PouPou:)

Third, would not be suprised to see anti-Alberto sentiment, in the same way we saw anti-Eddy and anti-Lance sentiment back when they were so dominant.

Last, Alberto will become jealous of the attention and warm feelings toward Lance. Probably starting soon after the Crit Int'l.

Polish said:
Those tongues will wag irregardless lol, same as it ever was.

But seriously, Lance is an old man and he has one good peak in him this year.
That peak will be in July if all goes to plan

And it may get him a top 20 or better in the TdF.

Forumite David Suro wrote a wonderful post in the Clinic thread "Cycling in the 70's to the present day". It explains the advancement of peaking:

I expect to see an interesting dynamic as we approach the TdF in July. First, Alberto will wupp Lance's keester during all the pre-tour "showdowns". Lance will be gracious in defeat I will guess...

Second, when we finally get to France in July - and if both riders start - Lance will enjoy an "UnderDog" fan base that will be reminiscent of PouPou:)

Third, would not be suprised to see anti-Alberto sentiment, in the same way we saw anti-Eddy and anti-Lance sentiment back when they were so dominant.

Last, Alberto will become jealous of the attention and warm feelings toward Lance. Probably starting soon after the Crit Int'l.

Is that you Bobke?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Suro
Enter Greg LeMond. LeMond and his training staff recognized that a rider could be at his absolute best for only a couple of weeks out of the year. Given that the TdF was the only race that had a decent sized following in the United States, Lemond decided to have that be the sole focus of his season for obvious financial reasons. He trained with near singular focus on the Tour and achieved fantastic results. He built to a second 'peak' for World's and showed success there, too.
+
Armstrong, Charmichael, and Bruyneal refined the science of building to a specific 'peak' for the TdF beyond what any other team could accomplish.

Of course that only worked because no one else was deliberately trying to peak so specifically, I would guess:rolleyes:. If all the teams had done so, it would have been a very boring cycling season perhaps, or dominated by unknowns?
Yes, I realize this can be argued against in a ton of ways... so keep it polite.:D

TRENDING THREADS