• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I made tomato soup for the first time two days ago. Originally I wanted to make Gazpacho, but turns out you need a blender for that and I don't have one.

So I ended up making tomato soup and I think it turned out pretty well. The ingredients are:

Tomatoes
Onion
Garlic
Vegetable Broth
Tomato paste
Crème fraiche (optional)

Pour boiling water over the tomatoes, let them sit for a while. After a few minutes, peel off the skins. Cut up the tomatoes, onion and garlic. Heat up some olive oil in your pot, throw in the garlic and onion. After a little while, throw in the tomatoes and pour vegetable broth over it. Add salt. Cook for until it is all soft enough. Mush it up. I tasted it at this point, and it tasted fine. Nevertheless I added the tomato paste, which makes for a nicer colour and stronger flavour. Of course, then you lose the "fully home made" label. Finally, I added some crème fraiche to my bowl.

I think this is about as basic as you can make a tomato soup. Next time I want to make home made croutons with it and add some herbs :)

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I had everthing laid out for a super meal. My back objected and threw a hissy fit so I had to go to bed without dinner :(

8x6l9z.jpg

oh well

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

cityaround said:
I like to eat China seafood dumplings and Sichuan Hot pot, also like to eat Japanese sashimi.
Sashimi is great, I love it,always tasting different fish :)
also welcome to CN ;)

@krebs
Well you had to be pretty pis.sed off :eek:

My simple (just nuke it) meal...

Take a tortilla (or two), throw some shredded cheese on it - nuke it in the microwave till the cheese melts.

Add salsa (and some beans if you're looking for protein) - wrap it up, and nuke it again till it's warm.

It's supposed to end up looking something like this. (I'm not terribly successful at the wrapping part with just one tortilla, which is why I end up using two.)

Mushroom soup recipe. Easy, cheap, quick and very tasty. A wee bit of oil, a diced onion, fry until soft (not browned though). No need for garlic, but if you like it, fry with the onion. A punnet of chestnut mushrooms halved (we can get them for £1 at the moment). 1.5 litres of water. Stock cube of your choice if you want. Boil, then slow simmer for 20/30 mins. Blitz with a hand blender and season to taste and that's enough for two people easily. Lovely with some crusty bread...

Mar 16, 2009
Tricycle Rider said:
krebs303 said:
I had everthing laid out for a super meal. My back objected and threw a hissy fit so I had to go to bed without dinner :(

8x6l9z.jpg

oh well
So, which part of this meal would have taken the most effort?

And, is there a way you could have gone without it?
I'm bedridden when when my back flares up and when I do get up I have to use a walker

Actually the whole meacould be prepared in about 30 minutes.

krebs303 said:
Tricycle Rider said:
krebs303 said:

8x6l9z.jpg

oh well
So, which part of this meal would have taken the most effort?

And, is there a way you could have gone without it?
I'm bedridden when when my back flares up and when I do get up I have to use a walker

Actually the whole meacould be prepared in about 30 minutes.

:(

I actually work with seniors (I'm not saying you are one), I'd have to say some of their walkers are more aero than others.

But anyhoo...

What do you eat when you are this incapacitated?

Mar 16, 2009
If you’ve been following IBM’s Watson project and like food, you may have noticed growing excitement among chefs, gourmands and molecular gastronomists about one aspect of its development. The main Watson project is an artificial intelligence that engineers have built to answer questions in native language — that is, questions phrased the way people normally talk, not in the stilted way a search engine like Google understands them. And so far, it’s worked: Watson has been helping nurses and doctors diagnose illnesses, and it’s also managed a major “Jeopardy!” win. Now, Chef Watson — developed alongside Bon Appetit magazine and several of the world’s finest flavor-profilers — has been launched in beta, enabling you to mash recipes according to ingredients of your own choosing and receive taste-matching advice which, reportedly, can’t fail. While some of the world’s foremost tech luminaries and conspiracy theorists are a bit skeptical about the wiseness of A.I., if it’s going to be used at all, allowing it to tell you what to make out of a fridge full of unloved leftovers seems like an inoffensive enough place to start.

Chef Watson

Mar 16, 2009
well I cooked the leg of lamb. I almost blew up the house first but I cooked the leg of lamb. whilst preheating the oven I decided to turn the heat up to high and then down to the proper temp when I put the roast in. the rhe process I turned the oven off then back on without relighting the pilot light. so it sat for 45 minutes with the pilot gas on. I went to put the roast in and the oven was cold. I hadn't checked the tank before started and assumed it had run out of gas. Mike came in with a new tank as I was trying to figure out what was wrong. I went to relight the pilot and kerblam the stove exploded and I was screaming like a little *** boy as I thought I had blown Mike up. I really have not recovered. I keep seeing that explosion over and over.
p.s.
the lamb was delicious

krebs303 said:
well I cooked the leg of lamb. I almost blew up the house first but I cooked the leg of lamb. whilst preheating the oven I decided to turn the heat up to high and then down to the proper temp when I put the roast in. the rhe process I turned the oven off then back on without relighting the pilot light. so it sat for 45 minutes with the pilot gas on. I went to put the roast in and the oven was cold. I hadn't checked the tank before started and assumed it had run out of gas. Mike came in with a new tank as I was trying to figure out what was wrong. I went to relight the pilot and kerblam the stove exploded and I was screaming like a little *** boy as I thought I had blown Mike up. I really have not recovered. I keep seeing that explosion over and over.
p.s.
the lamb was delicious
Jeebuz... wtf, man? Should you be trusted around a gas stove anymore?

Did you sustain any kind of burns? (Besides the mental ones, I mean. :( )

While vegetarian I am glad that the leg of lamb turned out ok, at least. I suppose.

Heal well, Krebs, ya hear!

Mar 16, 2009
Tricycle Rider said:
krebs303 said:
p.s.
the lamb was delicious
Jeebuz... wtf, man? Should you be trusted around a gas stove anymore?

Did you sustain any kind of burns? (Besides the mental ones, I mean. :( )

While vegetarian I am glad that the leg of lamb turned out ok, at least. I suppose.

Heal well, Krebs, ya hear!

some singed hair. and mental still.

Mar 16, 2009
2mg87pl.jpg

Berry Nightcap Parfait. Strawberry Yogurt Drink and Cranberry Juice Light then in the freezer for 45-60 minutes. so refreshing. Start off with puckering tart and finish off with sweet and creamy. Ying and Yang in a mug,

Two pounds of ground chuck ..%80-20..and two pounds of ground short ribs..made into half inch patties...salted and peppered..in the middle of the patty a spoon full +- of Ortega diced green chillis ..and small strips of Jack cheese..sandwich the cheese and chillis w another patty on top and finger work the edges ..it looks like a mini meatloaf..grill it until cooked to your liking..
I put on an onion roll w lettuce and tomato..because of the size nobody finished the burger..

TRENDING THREADS