• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cunego: You can't win clean!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Cunego had a mediocre Giro showing earlier this year and blamed his under-performing on his abstinence from performance-enhancing drugs.
He was training to peak at the Giro, and was, allegedly, trying to do it clean.

Going clean, he would get shelled out of the main bunch at the bottom of any significant climb.
Foul play! Cunego cried. Everyone else was doped, so he couldn't win clean.
Fast forward 4 months, and he's climbing with the best.

Is it a case of: If you can't beat them, join them, or did everyone else suddenly decide to go clean?

Discuss.

Zoncolan said:
Damiano Cunego had a mediocre Giro showing earlier this year and blamed his under-performing on his abstinence from performance-enhancing drugs.
He was training to peak at the Giro, and was, allegedly, trying to do it clean.

Going clean, he would get shelled out of the main bunch at the bottom of any significant climb.
Foul play! Cunego cried. Everyone else was doped, so he couldn't win clean.
Fast forward 4 months, and he's climbing with the best.

Is it a case of: If you can't beat them, join them, or did everyone else suddenly decide to go clean?

Discuss.

Everyone is clean. Just ask Vaughters. All it takes now is a rice diet or a little Eskimo blood.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I think I will play a bit of a wait and see. The first week was pretty easy compared to many GTs, and he's won a stage. The second mountain stage and he's already falling back. He will get a bit of a forum kicking though ;)

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
Cunego has raced, and may still race with a UCI waiver for naturally high hematocrit (>50%). Has something changed or is everyone else boosting past him? Maybe his 2004 samples should be retested.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
Well I do have an idea what he meant but I don't know for sure, so I wouldn't state as fact 'Kelly clearly thought he was doped'. I'm not like that.

I'll keep you posted on any other noises he makes. ;)

I'm making a noise right now. It's after the first beer following the last Crit of the year. It also has an aura of implication. Time for another.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I'm making a noise right now. It's after the first beer following the last Crit of the year. It also has an aura of implication. Time for another.

They are always the best beers of the year! .... Enjoy.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Anyone can perform well for one day in the mountains. Cunego didn't look nearly as good today. And does that mean we should all be cheering for Vinokourov? He looks decidedly human...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It is one freakin stage for christ sake!! He also didn't show nearly as well the day after!! Now when Sean Kelly makes a noise he is saying someone is doped? What a bunch of turd burglers you all are!!

TRDean said:
It is one freakin stage for christ sake!! He also didn't show nearly as well the day after!! Now when Sean Kelly makes a noise he is saying someone is doped? What a bunch of turd burglers you all are!!
It was only one member who said that, I believe. He loves Lance Armstrong, so it is to assume that he uses every oportunity he has to take it against Cunego.

I am on the same boat as you are. It was just one stage.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
It was only one member who said that, I believe. He loves Lance Armstrong, so it is to assume that he uses every oportunity he has to take it against Cunego.

I am on the same boat as you are. It was just one stage.

Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning!!!

TRENDING THREADS