• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

currency effect on prices? US dollar vs Euro

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone noticed deals on euro imports to USA, or products available online from Euro zone? Recent decline in Euro value vs. US dollar should be an advantage for US buyers, no?

Know any European online retailers with great deals?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
stephenj said:
Anyone noticed deals on euro imports to USA, or products available online from Euro zone? Recent decline in Euro value vs. US dollar should be an advantage for US buyers, no?

Know any European online retailers with great deals?

Mostly the UK guys, Ribble, Wiggle, Maestro

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I discovered Wiggles recently and given the Kiwi dollar against the Pound [actually most other currencies] at the moment, I got some great deals! They even include postage over a certain amount....
Anyway it's a great time to have Kiwi dollars and buying "gear" from overseas...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Aapjes said:
But they don't have the euro.

The pound has dropped from 1.67 to 1.45. The Euro has dropped from 1.51 to 1.24. Yes, the Euro has dropped slightly more percentage wise but I still find better deals in the UK. I think the best Euro based site is Comobike.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I hate it.

For some years I have found good deals in both GB and the USA. But nowadays they are not so good because of the rise.

By the way, although Denmark doesn't have euro the Krone is tied up to the euro, so it also hit danes. Everything abroad gets more expensive and nothing gets cheaper. To bad.

The politicians keep saying it is good for the economy because it becomes cheaper for other countries to buy Danish goods, but I don't really care as I am not selling any goods.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
That's alright, I eat Lurpak :p
(and it has come down, but not by as much as the exchange)

Australia is doing OK with all the cross rates at the moment, even before it was often worth going OS for things on sale.
Best thing with PBK and Wiggle is the freight costs
Como has some fair deals but they only ship UPS and often it kills them. I think I have only bought one thing from them because of this
Likewise I have bought some US stuff but it usually is better from the UK be cause of freight. There are exceptions, but often they are not the products I want to get (Did buy my Reynolds wheels from the US though)
To mail a frame from the US takes about AUD80-90 (USPS), from the UK it is AUD40, but free from Wiggle
Also items from the US take at least a week, up to 2. UK (PBK) is only 2-3 work days if in stock (quite amazing, it takes 2 days from Sydney if you don't pay express)