• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cut unterm Auge knockt Knees aus"

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Susan help please ....!"

Can you please apply your mod talents and get the grammar police onto one of your confreres in the cycling news business ( http://www.radsport-news.com) for the disturbing use of the heading, "Cut unterm Auge knockt Knees aus" on one of their recent articles http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_65166.htm? The vision of a bloodied cyclist going wobbly at the knees is haunting me.

I have neither seen nor heard “Cut” being used in German but the article quotes Ralf Grabsch doing so i.e. "Er zog sich einen Cut unterm Auge zu...."). And using the verb 'ausknocken' in this context is surely positively mischievous? Perhaps the subeditor got so cut up about this usage he/she decided to really put the cut amongst the pigeon toed or throw the Christian to the (editorial) lines?

Apologies for the non English (or at least some of it) on this site but this does seem to be a candidate for bilingual quote of the year.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Immer diese Anglizismen :D

Thats getting more and more a problem for the really old people who never learned English.
We even had a Anglizismus-free day here in Germany this year. :rolleyes:

Linguistic interference is just a fact of life. The current level of Anglicisms in German is still not as bad as the Deutsch à la Mode period where every other word was a French loan; it was this that led to the linguistic purism movement. Some of their recommendations were taken up, some weren't. I anticipate the same kind of thing happening again; German will survive, some of the Anglizismen will be well-established enough to remain, some of them will be transient and disappear; especially those referring to cultural phenomena which will probably die off in a few years.

TRENDING THREADS