• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling in France

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I am on holiday in Burgundy, July 18th to July29th and wonder how I can enter any races over there.

I am a member of TLI cycling and VLRC. Although I had been away from cycling competively for 30 years I am now very eager to compete against the best in my age group. During the 1970's I had a decent pedigree. I won a couple of National titles and came 5th in the Junior World Champions in Poland.

I would be grateful if you could let me know how to enter of any local road races or criterions that I would be eligible for whilst on holiday in France.

Many thanks. bigewart

bigewart said:
I am on holiday in Burgundy, July 18th to July29th and wonder how I can enter any races over there.

I am a member of TLI cycling and VLRC. Although I had been away from cycling competively for 30 years I am now very eager to compete against the best in my age group. During the 1970's I had a decent pedigree. I won a couple of National titles and came 5th in the Junior World Champions in Poland.

I would be grateful if you could let me know how to enter of any local road races or criterions that I would be eligible for whilst on holiday in France.

Many thanks. bigewart

To compete you need a valid licence from a UCI affiliated club. There are hardly ever any races specifically for "veterans", so you would have to compete with 18 years old and older ( which I did myself until age 54).

Your best bet is to enter a cyclosportive.
Events of that type started in France in 1982, they have now spread to many countries, but above all to Italy. Anyway they are like mass events in foot racing with participation from 100 to thousands. In the summer months you find them mostly in the more mountainous areas (Alps, Pyrénées), but there might be some in Burgundy.

Good luck to you.

To find out about them go on cycling website like velo101.com and look at the "calendrier" for july.

To enter you don't need to be a member of a bike club, but you do need a Dr certificate saying that you are fit to race.

Didn't find much during that period
24/07 La Mauriennaise
Aussois (74)
Rhône-Alpes 140 km, 75 km
Haute montagne
30 € Site internet
25/07 La Lily Bergaud
Mauriac (15)
Auvergne 143 km, 96 km (2208 m, 1155 m)
Moyenne montagne
25 € avant le 10 jui Site internet
-----------
For "regular FFC/UCI races, here is the link
http://www.ffcbourgogne.com/epreuve...reuveSort=epr_date_deb&dgEpreuveDirection=ASC

TRENDING THREADS