• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Peacock has special running out today. I just found out about it an hour ago. $20 for Premium for a year. I bought it as they usually have both the Tour and Vuelta.
I’ve had it since it debuted (as well as GCN+). They have most of the ASO races as well. I know they have the Australian stage race, Paris Roubaix, the Dauphine, and probably a couple of more that I forgot since we aren’t in season and I usually try to keep my attention minimal until it starts back up.

I’ve had it since it debuted (as well as GCN+). They have most of the ASO races as well. I know they have the Australian stage race, Paris Roubaix, the Dauphine, and probably a couple of more that I forgot since we aren’t in season and I usually try to keep my attention minimal until it starts back up.
I know, I've had it since before it was streamed. When they showed all those and much more on TV. I knew 99% of us here know what they usually carry and didn't feel like typing it all out. What surprises will we have for 2024? More races or less?

Reactions: perico
I have a terrible feeling we are not going to be able to shake this FLO hold on the remainder of English speaking coverage even with a VPN. Their model is shaky and hollow coverage of races they do cover, and total blackout for the things they don't want to pay to cover.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I have a terrible feeling we are not going to be able to shake this FLO hold on the remainder of English speaking coverage even with a VPN. Their model is shaky and hollow coverage of races they do cover, and total blackout for the things they don't want to pay to cover.
If you get fed up with their coverage you could always take a temporary break and use a VPN connection to watch races in another language, even if you don’t speak it. Riders names will sound close to the same so you still pick that up from the audio, and you can fill in details (like, who is in that 8-rider front group) from the broadcast graphics and by following the race thread here (or PCS). Not all national broadcasters require paid registration, so there’s not the problem with foreign credits cards (which is the case for Eurosport). For example, RTBF.be, the French-language Belgian broadcast, is a great place to watch spring classics, and doesn’t require a fee. The same may be true for Sporza.be, but I haven’t tried them for several years. RTVE.es or EITB.eus (Basque) are great for watching races in Spain, etc.

If you get fed up with their coverage you could always take a temporary break and use a VPN connection to watch races in another language, even if you don’t speak it. Riders names will sound close to the same so you still pick that up from the audio, and you can fill in details (like, who is in that 8-rider front group) from the broadcast graphics and by following the race thread here (or PCS). Not all national broadcasters require paid registration, so there’s not the problem with foreign credits cards (which is the case for Eurosport). For example, RTBF.be, the French-language Belgian broadcast, is a great place to watch spring classics, and doesn’t require a fee. The same may be true for Sporza.be, but I haven’t tried them for several years. RTVE.es or EITB.eus (Basque) are great for watching races in Spain, etc.
Sporza/VRT is free, as are RAI, CT Sport (Czech Rep) and TVP (Poland). The last 3 don't even require registration.

Flo came out of the gate over 15 years ago with a high price model for streaming fringe niche sports. The idea was fans were willing to pay for content they couldn’t otherwise get. But they are particularly aggressive on the geo-restrictions and black out for content they don’t wish to pay for. Over time, you pay more, get less, and have no access to options

Can you watch replays on Flo?
Yes, but they never put up the replay until hours after the race is over, so if you're like me and currently working weekends you can either watch the races at 4 am or after work. Also the ff/rev function is crap, sometimes it works, sometimes it goes all the way to the end, sometimes it jumps to the last show you watched.

I paid $49.00 for a GCN annual subscription. FLO is $150.00!!! And they suck......

it is a lot, but it's getting to the point where i'm ok with overpaying a bit to keep these companies afloat so we have an option to watch the races at all. $12/month is kinda right in line with any other streaming service, and live pro cycling is way better than anything on netflix or hulu, etc.

it is a lot, but it's getting to the point where i'm ok with overpaying a bit to keep these companies afloat so we have an option to watch the races at all. $12/month is kinda right in line with any other streaming service, and live pro cycling is way better than anything on netflix or hulu, etc.
It’s okay to expect more out of coverages. The problem with flo in North America is georestrictions and licensing. And black outs. And lack of provider choices. And quality of coverage.

The less competitive the provider market, the higher the prices, lower quality coverage and content.

Better than nothing? I suppose

It all depends on what races Flo will be covering. We are used to feasting on just about 90% of races by combining Peacock and GCN now. Assuming NBC holds onto all its races Flo can only add the RCS races which includes the Giro and a few one day races.
It's almost a given I'll cough up the money if they only add the Giro and Lombardia.
But I'll whine about their meager catalog, high cost and lousy service. BTW I don't have either Netfix or Hulu so have no idea what they cost. I only have Peacock because that's where they moved the cycling. But I do watch a couple of procedurals. And Peacock only cost me $30 this year and $20 next year. Actually I really dislike streaming. I have a satellite and dvr and can watch and Keep recorded shows. Vuelta 2012 Fuente de and Giro 2015's las few stages are still on it and I still watch them whenever.
Everything except cycling is recorded and watched later so I ff through the commercials. And there are tons of on demand movies I can record and keep. IMO streaming stinks, I Dislike it. But I'm stuck with it for cycling.

Reactions: Sandisfan