• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cycling satire

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/news/cycling-remains-faith-game_354755

By 2012, “clean teams” had not only become the norm, they were good for business. Teams were begging riders not to dope, for fear that sponsors would pack up and jump ship. That summer, just weeks before USADA vaporized Planet Armstrong, Bradley Wiggins won the yellow jersey with a credible, believable, almost transcendent Tour victory.

Yet two years past the Wiggins’ benchmark yellow jersey, there are troubling signs that not everyone has “seen the light.”

There are whispers that riders and teams are still pushing the ethical limit. There have been abuses of the TUE process, and stories of riders and teams taking any substance not on the banned list. Perhaps more exasperating is the continued lack of transparency in the anti-doping process.

Without question, professional cycling has undergone an extraordinary transformation in little more than a decade. Gone are big-ring attacks over first-category climbs 40km from the finish line. Winning moves these days usually come inside 3km to go in what’s become a race of attrition. Riders today are emaciated to the bone, dancing out on the razor’s edge in search of magical power-to-weight numbers. Today’s GC contenders are weighing 137 pounds at 6-foot-2, compared to 172-pound giants during the EPO era. Chris Froome is all sinew and elbows compared to the muscle-bound, EPO-fueled riders of the previous generation.

Did Vincenzo Nibali win the Tour clean? All evidence points to that he did. Can we dare to believe?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Z6YmYBi.jpg

frenchfry said:
Wiggins transcendent? I don't have much of an opinion of him one way or another, but transcendent?

It wasn't that long ago we finally agreed on how to spell his name.

hood probably heard the word somewhere and thought adding the word would make the piece look more intelligent. Kind of like Walsh in parts of ITS which have loads of meaningless adjectives that make little sense and only extend the word count.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Wiggins transcendent? I don't have much of an opinion of him one way or another, but transcendent?

What I really like is that after saying Wiggins is God, he starts talking about how the rest of the peloton might have not seen the light.

And then he goes on to talk about Sky and the horse steroids affair.

Amazing stuff :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Satire indeed. :D

WTF is this article all about?

It’s important to remember the sport had already changed from within years before USADA came out with its devastating “reasoned decision.” The real catalyst for change had its seeds in 2006, with the double-whammy of Operación Puerto blood doping ring and the Floyd Landis doping positive at the Tour de France.
LOL. Operation Puerto doesn't exactly sound like something that "came from within."

USADA’s shocking verdict two years ago served as a detailed testament to just how rotten the sport was at its core.
Oh yes. Too bad that someone like Willy Voet hadn't written a book about the Festina Affair 14 years ago. Then we would've already known how rotten it was. :eek:

The sport introduced an equally groundbreaking no-needle policy, and created the Movement Pour Cyclisme Credible, two voluntary efforts that speak volumes about the change of tone.
No is arguing that the "tone" hasn't changed. But it's still the same old tune. MPCC :rolleyes:

By 2012, “clean teams” had not only become the norm, they were good for business. Teams were begging riders not to dope, for fear that sponsors would pack up and jump ship.
Hahahaha! Begging? Why would they have to beg? I thought the change had come from within...back in 2006?

Bradley Wiggins won the yellow jersey with a credible, believable, almost transcendent Tour victory.
I believe the word he's looking for is "boring." And there was no "almost" about it.

Riders today are emaciated to the bone, dancing out on the razor’s edge in search of magical power-to-weight numbers. Today’s GC contenders are weighing 137 pounds at 6-foot-2, compared to 172-pound giants during the EPO era. Chris Froome is all sinew and elbows compared to the muscle-bound, EPO-fueled riders of the previous generation.
Is any of that supposed to be encouraging? WTF?

Any hint of a scandal provokes a knee-jerk, sky-is-falling response,
Freudian?

Did Vincenzo Nibali win the Tour clean? All evidence points to that he did.
Uh huh. All of it? I, too, eagerly await this vast mountain of evidence.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
frenchfry said:

and let's not forget about his even more transcendent superdom who was far stronger

TRENDING THREADS