• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Damiano Cunego

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

chiocciolis_calves said:
Jancouver said:
classicomano said:
He will top 5 for sure.

Hahaha, good one! :D

only chance is if he tries to pull-out Di Luca and Santambrogio :cool:

Apparently you haven't glanced at the list of "GC contenders." One of the weaker GC fields in the Giro since the 2001-2004 time frame.

Oh please, weak field or not, without clinic help he got no chance for top 5. He already lost a minute today, so gimme a break :cool:

chiocciolis_calves said:
Jancouver said:
classicomano said:
He will top 5 for sure.

Apparently you haven't glanced at the list of "GC contenders." One of the weaker GC fields in the Giro since the 2001-2004 time frame.

:confused:

The startlist of the last years are all pretty much equal . Actually 2015 looks better than 2014-2013-2012

Contador , Uran, Aru, Porte, Pozzovivo, Van den Broeck , Kreuziger, Konig (+ Caruso, Niemec, Intxausti, Hesjedal, Zakarin, Kruijswijk...)

Quintana, Uran, Aru, JRO, Pozzovivo, Majka , Rolland, Kelderman, Evans (+ Hesjedal, Kiserlovski, Kruijswijk, D.Martin....)

Nibali, Uran, Evans, Scarponi, Betancur ( + Niemec, Majka ,Intxausti, Pozzovivo , S Sanchez, Kiserlovski... )

Cunego close to the top 5 wouldn't surprise me. He is in his best form since Tour 2011 . Win a stage should be much harder though

nuvolablu said:
chiocciolis_calves said:
Jancouver said:
classicomano said:
He will top 5 for sure.

:confused:

The startlist of the last years are all pretty much equal . Actually 2015 looks better than 2014-2013-2012

Contador , Uran, Aru, Porte, Pozzovivo, Van den Broeck , Kreuziger, Konig (+ Caruso, Niemec, Intxausti, Hesjedal, Zakarin, Kruijswijk...)

Quintana, Uran, Aru, JRO, Pozzovivo, Majka , Rolland, Kelderman, Evans (+ Hesjedal, Kiserlovski, Kruijswijk, D.Martin....)

Nibali, Uran, Evans, Scarponi, Betancur ( + Niemec, Majka ,Intxausti, Pozzovivo , S Sanchez, Kiserlovski... )

Cunego close to the top 5 wouldn't surprise me. He is in his best form since Tour 2011 . Win a stage should be much harder though

I didn't realize I argued that the 2014 edition had a stronger GC field? Had Cunego come in with a new team last year and looked in better shape, I would have made the same argument if someone claimed it was ridiculous to claim he could do a top 5.

I am a tad worried that the Giro is again losing some luster with GC riders.

chiocciolis_calves said:
Mayomaniac said:
You forgot to mention that Wiggo was also on the startlist in 2013, that was a pretty big deal.

Unfortunately, his performance was only a big deal when he tried the unique strategy of turning hard right when approaching left-hand curves on the descents, and vice versa.

I think with the long TT Wiggins would have been in with a chance on this one, pretty exciting as well if Contador would have been attacking in the mountains to claw back time.

I think many people will laugh at you for that. 59km is a good distance for a single tt but considering its the only itt in the entire race it really isn't anything special, especially considering the mountains and hills that come up throughout the race.

That said if its 2012 wiggins you are talking about then forget tts, contador might not even be able to stay with him in the mountains.

Re:

The Hitch said:
I think many people will laugh at you for that. 59km is a good distance for a single tt but considering its the only itt in the entire race it really isn't anything special, especially considering the mountains and hills that come up throughout the race.

That said if its 2012 wiggins you are talking about then forget tts, contador might not even be able to stay with him in the mountains.

I'm talking about the Wiggins that's so 100% confident in his abilities that it overcomes the huge doubts in his mind, which probably takes so much out of him that he can only do a handful of times in his career.
2012 Wiggins a prime eample.

Back to Damiano, a top10 is not impossible for him. As I've stated in another thread I hadn't seen him as light as he is now in a long, long time. In an interview he said he finally regained the desire to train hard and sacrifice now that he is with Nippo, something he had probably lost with Lampre. I'd also prefer him to go stage hunting obviously.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Back to Damiano, a top10 is not impossible for him. As I've stated in another thread I hadn't seen him as light as he is now in a long, long time. In an interview he said he finally regained the desire to train hard and sacrifice now that he is with Nippo, something he had probably lost with Lampre. I'd also prefer him to go stage hunting obviously.
Yep, he looks pretty sharp.I have him in top10 of my GGTG,I believe! :D

I would definitely agree Damiano should go the way Garzelli did in '09 and '11, target a stage and the GPM. However, Damiano has been trapped in this terrible flux for quite some time where due to his history and reputation he's too dangerous to give too much rope to, but not good enough to make it stick from the heads of state group, so he has to drop time early to be allowed to go. A bit like in the '09 Vuelta where he won on Aitana from the favourites group, then despite being in the top 10, when he was dropped on Sierra Nevada, he then came to an almost standstill to come in with the laughing bunch so that he could win on La Pandera the next day.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:

what are you blabbing about again. in 2012 wiggins couldn't even follow nibali and jvdb. so of course contador would've eaten him.

elfed68 said:
The Hitch said:

I'm talking about the Wiggins that's so 100% confident in his abilities that it overcomes the huge doubts in his mind, which probably takes so much out of him that he can only do a handful of times in his career.
2012 Wiggins a prime eample.

Of course, Wiggins should be here, he is better than Porte for this Giro, but he losed the necessary motivation and sacrifice to all the work you have to do to get ready for a Giro for a rider like him, and with Contador, Uran, Aru,... he is not sure to win...

Now he has big goals where with less sacrifice he is more likely to succed.