• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Damiano Cunego

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Is having a really good race. Looks like a good bet for fifth overall. He hasn't been the most exciting rider, but it's nice to finally see him ride another good grand tour.

A

Anonymous

Its been great seeing him have a good TDF but top 5 will not happen.

He's been very impressive so far, I think he's got a good chance at top 5 to be honest. Contador and Samuel Sanchez seem cooked, I reckon it's between him and Basso for the final spot and that will be very close.

A

Anonymous

ericthesportsman6 said:
Wouldn't count him out. He could gain more time on Contador tomorrow, and even if he doesn't, AC won't have much to ride for in the TT.

I think Ivan will take it but i maybe biased. Either way its good having 2 italians in the top 10. Scarponi should try the TDF next year.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Without looking at the GC I'd guess he'd drop a couple of spots in the chrono, which will be a shame. Great ride none the less. Never really cracked.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Great comments about Cunego! I am very happy to see him riding well. I hope he tries to make a go tomorrow..we shall see. None the less, fantastic Tour for him so far.

Parrulo said:
if he has the legs he should go for it tomorrow. he isn't a favourite for the win so if the top 4 guys are watching each other he might be able to get the stage and time to save his top 5 spot in the itt
Absolutely agreed.
He's doing great, but he's being quite anonymous all things considered. I think tomorrow might be his kind of stage.

To be fair though, perhaps that's been best for him. He's not gone stagehunting, he's not dropped conspicuously early. He's just quietly got on with things, and has kept his powder dry (no small feat in this crash-ridden event). Tiralongo was 7th in the Vuelta for Lampre a couple of years ago the same way; the Tour is a tougher event, but Cunego is a better rider.

Bumped this thread with a question.

Il piccolo principe has been racing quite good in Trentino and Appenino last weeks. No secret he has not been very good last couple years but he was clearly overweighted his last couple years at Lampre. New team (+ smaller wages?) clearly motivated him again. Wouldn't suprise me if he finished top 10 in the Giro. Would be even more awesome if he somehow managed to win a stage!
Anybody knows his current weight? Think he'll be good in giro if he's under 60 kgs

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Top 10 could be possible for him, but I think that he could win 1 or 2 stages. He could outsprint the GC guys on a climb like Abetone and maybe win the Madonna di Campiglio stage if he takes it easy in the TT, in that chase he could go in the breakaway and fight for the stage win. Maybe stagehunting would be the better option for him and in a recent interview he said the he doesn't want to think about the GC.

Of course he could be top 5 or even win, that Pereiro won the Tour, and I give him more chances that Pereiro that Tour, but he of course is not for sure top 5. There are domestiques that even working has more chances of top 5, but as I said in Giro tread if Cunego has luck and he play well his chances, it is a dangerous man, he showed in Trentino that he is OK and he is a rider that could be with the best in the hardest stages.

He has a high natural hematocric and that is something that is always to help, but cycling are a lot of things.

Normal thing is to see him in the top ten, close to the top 5.

He should stage hunt. Top 10s only mean something to riders who have not done it before and who remembers top 10s except the riders themselves ? He has lost his explosive finish in the hilly classics and can't podium GTs so it's domestique duties or stage wins I think. His 2011 Tour ride was a very good one and surprised a few people but that was four years ago.