• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dan Martin discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fat lot of good that did him today. As brave as those little gains he picked up have been, can't help thinking if he'd guarded his matches better he would've been with the MJ group yesterday and picking up a 6s bonus today instead of losing a minute and a half in 2 stages.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Eagle said:
Gilbert was leader for Amstel Gold Race and then didn't race Fleche and Liege due to injury.

I think you are also over rating his attacking, he's only gained time on the flats when he hasn't been marked as much as the others. Has he even attacked on a climb yet?

Gilbert 2011 form...yeah, look at the mans pedigree and results WHEN he is on form.

He has been consistently second or third at Fleche and Liege...that's being a strong rider. That's class.

Over rating?

Dude, he tried. He tried his pants off on stage 17. If he didn't light the spark, I don't think anyone else would have bothered to have a dig once the elevation got high enough.

Dan has raced very similarly to last year, except this year, his endurance is stronger.

Remove the crash he had on stage 9 when Porte took him down and he'd arguably be very close to yellow. Very close.

Look at how he walk off the bike. He's the last rider you'd assume would take a crack...but he does.

It's his nature and desire to win that is great to watch.

Let's see them light it up tonight.

Re:

yaco said:
Trying to understand how he lost 31 seconds on the descent when he was with the yellow jersey group.
Contador (5th wheel) let a gap open in the early hairpins down off the summit and that was that.

Disappointing thing is that Landa was able to bridge up after that, but no way would he have pushed across with Dan on his wheel.

Re:

Matteo. said:
If only he had the legs of the best GT riders, what a great GT champion would be. Always at the attack even when he has few forces. admirable, bravissimo dan

Without the fall I think he would have been in the podium battle. Even though he broke no bones, he had back issues and must have been badly bruised after falling at speed. Take out the crosswind stage and he looked good in the mountains for the majority of the time and you could argue he was more aggressive than Froome.

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Turns out he actually fractured two vertebrae in that crash.
No wonder he had a hard time walking properly...

Absolutely incredible. Hope it gets a decent rest and recovery and can return to race competitely for the autumn classics. Amazingly braze and tough rider to continue. But questions must be asked of the team not getting this diagnosed before they let him cycle another couple of thousands kms at the TdF. Perhaps there should be (maybe there is) a final call in races where a independent doctor can refuse a rider to ride, another example is fugsland who for now reason cycled another two stages with a broken wrist when he was clearly of no benefit to his team or his own race ambitions.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Really makes you wonder how far Dan Martin could have come without that injury. I think he would have been on the podium instead of Bardet to be honest
Even if you assume a case of Porte sliding out and not taking him out, it would've been a very different race if he'd been with the leaders over the top of Chat.

If Porte hadn't crashed and stayed in the race, someone else with the legs and willingness to attack Froome, it would have been completely different again.

And I can't believe I just suggested the Tour would have been MORE exciting with Richie Porte in it.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Really makes you wonder how far Dan Martin could have come without that injury. I think he would have been on the podium instead of Bardet to be honest

I agree. He was probably stronger than Uran too, but might not have finished ahead of him anyway because Uran's obsessive wheelsucking is closer to an optimal way to ride than Martin's frenetic attacking. We will never know though. It's a pretty amazing accomplishment to come 6th after getting taken out and seriously injured so early n the race.

It was a shame that Majka, Valverde, Porte, Thomas and Fuglsang left the race. They may not have figured at the finish but I tend to think that Valverde and Porte would have at least changed the dynamics of the race not to mention a fully fit Dan Martin. The odds of Froome cracking in the mountains would have been much greater and also Landa's chances of finishing on the podium.