• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dan Martin discussion thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great display from him today (and from Quintana and Bardet, after he stopped faffing around with his bike), especially considering what we were hearing yesterday:
Dan Martin had to crawl up the steps of his team bus. Took him a couple of minutes to get to the top. He's now gone for x-ray - Peter Cossins
He's one of those riders (like Hamilton back in the day) who has the psychological strength to keep going despite taking a huge amount of punishment. Also more generally it seems the teams with lightweight climbers have done a ton of work since last October to prepare for today. Lots of people hoped for GC carnage but the teams who kept their guys in it deserve a ton of credit given the parcours, and the quality of the field who were going for the win and not protecting GC (Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Lampaert, Terpstra, Sagan, Degenkolb, Boasson Hagen).

Shame about that flat tire today. This was his kind of a climb.

ncGdlDx.png

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Martin, a little surprisingly, wins the super-combativity prize for the Tour, so Dan will be on the podium in Paris. When was the last time an Irishman did a podium visit at the Tour? Kelly in 1989 for the green jersey?

Re:

rlntlssly said:
Martin, a little surprisingly, wins the super-combativity prize for the Tour, so Dan will be on the podium in Paris. When was the last time an Irishman did a podium visit at the Tour? Kelly in 1989 for the green jersey?

I think so, yeah.

I suppose when a French rider wins a jersey, there’s less reason to give this prize to some French breakaway artist. In general I’m in favour of anything that encourages aggressive racing by the riders in the lower half of the top 10, so giving it to one of them who actually did attack regularly seems like a good idea.

Re:

rlntlssly said:

Nico Roche won the team competition with Tinkoff (in 2015?). Stephen also win it with Carrera in 92 or 93, IIRC. But yeah, Kelly would be the last individual.

Also, not sure how surprising it is. Martin's attacked just about everywhere it was physically possible, it's a well deserved award.

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
rlntlssly said:
Leinster said:
Also, not sure how surprising it is. Martin's attacked just about everywhere it was physically possible, it's a well deserved award.

Undoubtedly deserved, but that isn't usually the criterion!

Randomly drawing a name from anyone who attacked on more than 3 separate stages isn't the usual criterion?
Choosing someone who actually made meaningful attacks is certainly unusual.

toolittle said:
happytramp said:
Someone mentioned on the UAE thread that he was due to race the Vuelta.. Anyone hear anything about that?
Not this year for sure.
He’s about to have twins. Believe me, he’ll do anything to get out of the house for a month. “But honey, the bike race...” “YOU GET IN THERE AND PUT THOSE LITTLE MONSTERS TO SLEEP!!!”

Hill repeats on the Angliru >>>> 3am feeds for alternating chisellers.

Edit; just checked, due in October. He should get those miles in now, because he won’t be allowed near a bike after this winter if my experience is anything to go by.

Leinster said:
toolittle said:
happytramp said:
Someone mentioned on the UAE thread that he was due to race the Vuelta.. Anyone hear anything about that?
Not this year for sure.
He’s about to have twins. Believe me, he’ll do anything to get out of the house for a month. “But honey, the bike race...” “YOU GET IN THERE AND PUT THOSE LITTLE MONSTERS TO SLEEP!!!”

Edit; just checked, due in October. He should get those miles in now, because he won’t be allowed near a bike after this winter if my experience is anything to go by.

Do you get paid to ride a bike?

Also his GF or is it wife quit he running to concentrate on Dans career

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Leinster said:
toolittle said:
happytramp said:
Not this year for sure.

Daniel Martin says goodbye to the Vuelta
http://www.uaeteamemirates.com/martin-saluta-la-vuelta/

From @lavuelta to the biggest challenge of my life. Hard to explain the mixed emotions leaving my @TeamUAEAbuDhabi boys behind but my teammate for life @JessMartin_7 needs me now as we set off on the most exciting adventure we could ever have imagined.
http://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/1036650376508923904

TRENDING THREADS