• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dan Martin discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
yaco said:
You have to question why Dan Martin ever rode the Vuelta considering his personal circumstances - An opportunity missed for another rider in the team.

Depends on when her due date actually was. It sounds like the actual due date was after the Vuelta, but the timing was still close.

Kirby was discussing the upcoming birth on day one of the Vuelta.

Koronin said:
yaco said:
You have to question why Dan Martin ever rode the Vuelta considering his personal circumstances - An opportunity missed for another rider in the team.

Depends on when her due date actually was. It sounds like the actual due date was after the Vuelta, but the timing was still close.
From her Twitter, she is having twins with a due date of October 7th. But for twins, "full term" is considered two weeks earlier that the due date for a singleton, and they often arrive a week or two earlier than that.

shalgo said:
Koronin said:
yaco said:

From her Twitter, she is having twins with a due date of October 7th. But for twins, "full term" is considered two weeks earlier that the due date for a singleton, and they often arrive a week or two earlier than that.

Thank you for that info. I with that due date even with twins, I'm guessing they were expecting that he could finish the Vuelta and the twins would be born not long after the final stage.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
I'm guessing most people have actually imagined getting children, but looking by this tweet Dan never did that.
Most people would have imagined having them one at a time. And even those who imagine more, can find it a bigger “adventure” than they thought it would be.

Our twins popped out a month early, but we’d been on alert for more than 2 months at that stage after a scare early on. Anything we guess on here is probably wrong, but I’d imagine the Martins have had some advice from their doc that there may be movement afoot.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Leinster said:
He’s been named in the Irish team for the Worlds. That could mean they expect the kids to be out by then, or it could be that they know well he’s ireland’s only half chance of a result in Innsbruck.
so who else has been named for the Irish team for the Worlds?

Tim Booth said:
Leinster said:
He’s been named in the Irish team for the Worlds. That could mean they expect the kids to be out by then, or it could be that they know well he’s ireland’s only half chance of a result in Innsbruck.
so who else has been named for the Irish team for the Worlds?
From the Irish Cycling Federation website. it appears they are not using their full allocation of 6 riders in the Elite race. Realistically the course would not suit Bennett at all and has not ridden much recently and Deignan is on the missing list at Sky

U23 Men

Eddie Dunbar (TT and Road Race)
Michael O’Loughlin (TT and Road Race)
Daire Feeley
Matthew Teggart
Darragh O’Mahony
Conn McDunphy (Reserve)

Elite Men

Dan Martin
Nicolas Roche (TT and Road Race)
Ryan Mullen (TT and Road Race)
Conor Dunne

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/team-announcement-world-road-championships/20154

Dunne and Mullen but no Deignan is odd given the course, no matter how out of shape he may be. He can still bring Martin a bottle on the 5th lap, by which time Mullen will probably be in the showers, and Dunne will either be with Mullen or in the break.

Dunbar would also surely be better on the hills than Mullen, but maybe they think he’s a decent shot of a medal at u23, and if he’s still eligible, then why not?

Re:

Leinster said:
Dunne and Mullen but no Deignan is odd given the course, no matter how out of shape he may be. He can still bring Martin a bottle on the 5th lap, by which time Mullen will probably be in the showers, and Dunne will either be with Mullen or in the break.

Dunbar would also surely be better on the hills than Mullen, but maybe they think he’s a decent shot of a medal at u23, and if he’s still eligible, then why not?

ooh err Missus.

Congrats Dan Martin, and good luck at the upcoming worlds!

Ireland, looking interesting in the junior category in my opinion. Ben Healy, is an exciting young prospect but I am actually more excited about Archie Ryan. - He is a first-year junior and goes uphill fast. The kid is lit.

I think this thread deserves a bump. The Tour has been surprisingly smooth sailing so far for Dan who even out-echeloned teammate Kristoff yesterday and was quietly present in the first group. Now he is up to 9th in GC, where most of his deficit owes to the TTT. He didn't set the world on fire on the Planches des Belles Filles, though, and I suppose that climb should have suited him. Maybe that's why nobody is talking about him. Or because of the upcoming ITT.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Not sure whats wrong with him. he has been below par for last 2 seasons.

This time 12 months ago he won a stage, came 2nd in another, and finished 8th on GC.

He quit the Vuelta early to be at home for the birth of his twins, but still finished 9th at Lombardia after that.

This year he hasn't been stellar, but apart from being sick for the Ardennes he's been generally his usual self. Until the Tour, where he's gone backwards in the mountains,

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Re:

luckyboy said:
He made some strange comments about his Tour, how he felt great but something with the preparation wasn't there. What is going on at UAE?

Kristoff said more or less the same thing.
Roughly translated from memory: "I'm totally out of it. Don't expect anything from me on the last stage. Actually, the whole team is a bit out of it, and we think we know why."
He did not want to go into more details.

TRENDING THREADS