• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dan Martin discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He seems to be able to open a gap on Carthy when the stages end with an uphill sprint but think there's only a couple more and they could go to the break.
I think they'll certainly go to the break.

He has his stage win. 4th place would be his career-best GT finish. This race is already a success if he doesn't move up on gc. But he should definitely try.

It might not be Carthy who cracks, it might be Carapaz, or even Roglic, (although it might also be Dan himself). But I think there are opportunities there for a rider like Martin, if the team ride the final week clever.

Stages in all 3 grand tours (a chance of top 10's overall as well), Liege, Lombardia and a major stage race in Catulunya. I'm sure the only things he'll look back on with a hint of disappointment are no Fleche - after all the years of trying, and missing out on a grand tour podium.
Will he have one more crack at Flèche next year? I know he’s said his main reason for not doing it this year was to prepare for the Giro, so that’s mission accomplished now.

He’s 35 in August, but then, he’s spent the last 8 years seemingly constantly battling with Valverde, so probably thinks he has a few left in him...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Will he have one more crack at Flèche next year? I know he’s said his main reason for not doing it this year was to prepare for the Giro, so that’s mission accomplished now.

He’s 35 in August, but then, he’s spent the last 8 years seemingly constantly battling with Valverde, so probably thinks he has a few left in him...
He could try, but it's hard to imagine him winning it with the guys currently focusing on the Ardennes.

Definitely worth a win this fight, but it's just really tough to watch him on a bike.

I find it so much easier to empathise with the pros who have appalling looking styles, the guys who look like a grumpy chicken stomping across a yard. I think the main reason I’ve cheered for Bauke Mollema his whole career is that he always looks as if he’s going to put himself off balance with his bobbing head.

Last edited:
I like riders, who really seem to be giving it their all in a fight against their bike, the road and their body. There is a fine line though, and Martin is on the right side of it, while young Vansevenant has stepped over it.

The opposite for me. I find Martin's and Mollema's and some other's styles just ugly - whereas Vansevenant looks hilarious and funny to me. :D

But in general I really prefer riders with a smooth style or those who just look like they can handle their bikes perfectly. ;)

The opposite for me. I find Martin's and Mollema's and some other's styles just ugly - whereas Vansevenant looks hilarious and funny to me. :D

But in general I really prefer riders with a smooth style or those who just look like they can handle their bikes perfectly. ;)

I just hate to look at a rider, who has a very smooth style, get dropped, because it looks like he could do more to hang on (which of course isn't the case).

You never thought Chris Anker Sørensen was soft pedaling, but unfortunately he didn't have a finish like Martin and Mollema.
Judged by this photo even his daughter could beat him in a sprint.

17015828-523246545632465532235.jpg

I said in the race thread, that he was brilliant/fantastic/phenomenal, I forgot which adjective I used. But after re-watching the stage, I changed my mind. He was even more brilliant/fantastic/phenomenal than I thought at first. He had 1 minute on the pink jersey group at 10km to go. One of the rides of this Giro.
I'm just watching again too. He had just over 2 minutes at the foot of the 2nd last climb. He accelerated then, and trimmed the group down to just the guys he wanted to bring with him.

Then they started the final climb with about a minute and a half, and he dropped them too. Just an all-round masterclass. Picked his day, and pulled it off.

I think it is impossible not to like Dan Martin. He is like the Rocky Balboa of cycling - the unknown nobody parachuted into the grand peloton of panache. Yes, he rides like Paula Radcliffe runs, and he has the palest legs in the bunch. The club rider who took a wrong turn onto the racecourse and held on for victory through heart and grit. That he has a huge amount of talent often goes forgotten.

Wow, almost unbelievable that any team with a potential GC contender would skip doing a recon of the Montalcino gravel sections . . . Yet Martin didn’t do a recon, and then was taken aback by the difficulty of the 1st section and lost 6 minutes! It almost seems like deciding to just stick one’s head in the sand (gravel?) and pretend it will work out fine.
On the other hand, impressive he was able to come back from COVID so quickly, glad he managed that.

I'm also not sure how he impressed at the Giro. At least not in a way that would warrant such an article. He had an amazing performance to get his stage win, really really good. But other than that he was worse than at the Vuelta last year I think?

Hell, Bardet put 1.5 minutes into him in that last TT and his climbing was very hit or miss.

I'm also not sure how he impressed at the Giro. At least not in a way that would warrant such an article. He had an amazing performance to get his stage win, really really good. But other than that he was worse than at the Vuelta last year I think?

Hell, Bardet put 1.5 minutes into him in that last TT and his climbing was very hit or miss.

I agree with the overall point, but I doubt he was going full gas in the ITT considering he had nothing to gain from it really.
Maybe he could have done a little better on some of the mountain stages if he hadn't lost all that time in Montalcino. I wonder what role he's going to have in the Tour, but I guess that will depend on Woods's level.

TRENDING THREADS