• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Daniel Martinez is the new Daniel Martin with additional letters

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
imagen.png

Historical photo.

Last edited:
All that sudden love Martínez gets... ;)
I would love him to get his own serious chances. But in this race he's more than 7 minutes behind Bernal, Bernal would need to crack massively, for a change of plan to make any sense and I can't see that today, unless his back is totally up again.
Now if Bernal loses 90 seconds today I would still go with Bernal and try to limit tomorrow's loss. If he loses 3 minutes or more, okay, that should mean he's just not able to fight anymore, and one should go with Martínez tomorrow. But I just don't think Bernal will lose 3 minutes, even if he will have a hard day.
I think this race is just a bit done for Dani. Would be great if he got some other big chances, though, next year. If he trains seriously on his time trial bike at Ineos I can see him becoming a good co-leader for a Tour route with more time trial kilometers, because apart from Thomas and Porte who aren't the youngest, the team is a bit shy of good GC time trialers, Bernal, Carapaz and Adam Yates don't excel there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All that sudden love Martínez gets... ;)
I would love him to get his own serious chances. But in this race he's more than 7 minutes behind Bernal, Bernal would need to crack massively, for a change of plan to make any sense and I can't see that today, unless his back is totally up again.
Now if Bernal loses 90 seconds today I would still go with Bernal and try to limit tomorrow's loss. If he loses 3 minutes or more, okay, that should mean he's just not able to fight anymore, and one should go with Martínez tomorrow. But I just don't think Bernal will lose 3 minutes, even if he will have a hard day.
I think this race is just a bit done for Dani. Would be great if he got some other big chances, though, next year. If he trains seriously on his time trial bike at Ineos I can see him becoming a good co-leader for a Tour route with more time trial kilometers, because apart from Thomas and Porte who aren't the youngest, the team is a bit shy of good GC time trialers, Bernal, Carapaz and Adam Yates don't excel there.
Yes, I agree with him being a good co-leader for a GT that features a decent amout of KMs of ITT.
He has shown that he's a really solid TTer, with a bit of extra work he could become a good 2nd option.

TRENDING THREADS