• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Daniel Martinez is the new Daniel Martin with additional letters

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, that is a fact. You not liking them prevents you from acknowledging that. There was too much of Ineos in the peloton in the past decade, JV reduced the levels to normal again and Pogačar, while being free radical, still doing the job of an antioxidant.

Luckily Slovenia doesn't have a long GT tradition, as in that case Roglič and Pogačar might be in Ineos already and the whole situation in the peloton to be settled for another decade.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, that is a fact. You not liking them prevents you from acknowledging that. There was too much of Ineos in the peloton in the past decade, JV reduced the levels to normal again and Pogačar, while being free radical, still doing the job of an antioxidant.

Luckily Slovenia doesn't have a long GT tradition, as in that case Roglič and Pogačar might be in Ineos already and the whole situation in the peloton to be settled for another decade.

I got absolutely nothing against Roglic. I couldn't be more neutral towards a rider. Pogacar is on a -1 or -2 on my personal like order, but there are many riders I like way less and it's not like I hate to see him win or anything.
I just have a deep dislike against hyperbole, against nationalism, or fans who downgrade other athlete's achievements because all they see are their favourites.
As I said before I love, love Messi, but people who only care about Messi in football have always annoyed me just as much.

Jumbo and Roglic are certainly not a good example for a more exciting riding style, since last year they were mostly imitating the former Sky-style. Pogacar is someone who is just individuelly so strong that he doesn't need a train like that and can ride aggressively and still dominate a race. We will see how UAE approach the next Tour.

In general we might see a slight generational change, in that riders are more eager to ride aggressively again and put on a show. Social media and the different upbringing might have something to do with it, the success of riders like Sagan, van der Poel, Alaphilippe with fans might also have shown other riders that this is an attractive way for them.

I just have a deep dislike against hyperbole, against nationalism, or fans who downgrade other athlete's achievements because all they see are their favourites.

And where did i do that?

Jumbo and Roglic are certainly not a good example for a more exciting riding style, since last year they were mostly imitating the former Sky-style.

Yes, this indeed is what i said. Just not from your perspective. Yours being negative and mine positive.

In my opinion a genuine cycling fan ought to find joy and appreciation in that. That is more balance was introduced in the peloton. The alternative, how things were before, is worse.

P.S. As for going further, making thing even better, likely possible. Lets wait until Tour. I have a strong feeling we will get to see some of that.

And where did i do that?

Yes, this indeed is what i said. Just not from your perspective. Yours being negative and mine positive.

In my opinion a genuine cycling fan ought to find joy and appreciation in that. That is more balance was introduced in the peloton. The alternative, how things were before, is worse.

P.S. As for going further, making thing even better, likely possible. Lets wait until Tour. I have a strong feeling we will get to see some of that.

Yeah sure, come on, how often have I read "I am now going to turn my attention to other things as races without Slovenians are not interesting" and stuff like that from you.

Nobody is perfect.

P.S. But OK, if you are going to nitpick like that, objectively, races where Slovenians participate. Are they in general more interesting or not? Honest answer.
Not particularly. They can be, but it's not always the case. UAE and PN for example weren't all that interesting, Basque and TA on the other hand were very enjoyable to watch. The Ardennes classics where they participated, were definitely not more interesting than the Flemish Classics where they didn't.

Reactions: Fuente De
Not particularly. They can be, but it's not always the case. UAE and PN for example weren't all that interesting, Basque and TA on the other hand were very enjoyable to watch. The Ardennes classics where they participated, were definitely not more interesting than the Flemish Classics where they didn't.

On UAE Pogačar was too strong, the same can be said for PN regarding Roglič. Now OK, raiders being too strong, that can be a bit boring. Still there where moments on that races we will long talk about.

As for the classics. Are they classics riders? They do win occasionally, but without them Alaphilippe would likely take two wins. Would that be any more interesting?

As for Basque and TA, just beautiful indeed and in my book that is enough to prove my point. For that part of the season.

P.S. And we more or less know, or at least hope, that was more or less a warm up for the Tour.

On UAE Pogačar was too strong, the same can be said for PN regarding Roglič. Now OK, raiders being too strong, that can be a bit boring. Still there where moments on that races we will long talk about.

As for the classics. Are they classics riders? They do win occasionally, but without them Alaphilippe would likely take two wins. Would that be any more interesting?

As for Basque and TA, just beautiful indeed and in my book that is enough to prove my point. For that part of the season.

P.S. And we more or less know, or at least hope, that was more or less a warm up for the Tour.
Apart from Roglic crashing twice in PN and losing the race like that, there is not one moment from both UAE or PN that I will talk about in the future.

I don't think it matters if they are classic riders or not. They both are strong enough allrounders to play a big role in the classics they race.

Talking about the Tour. Apart from the final TT in last year's Tour, the race wasn't all that exciting. JV killed the race more than some of the Sky/Ineos editions.

Apart from Roglic crashing twice in PN and losing the race like that, there is not one moment from both UAE or PN that I will talk about in the future.

Gino made it special.

I don't think it matters if they are classic riders or not. They both are strong enough allrounders to play a big role in the classics they race.

I don't agree with that. Their job, at classics, is to try to win them. There are other riders, at classics, more suitable and entitled to bring us entertainment.

Talking about the Tour. Apart from the final TT in last year's Tour, the race wasn't all that exciting. JV killed the race more than some of the Sky/Ineos editions.

But that was my whole point. JV brought balance to the peloton. Without them it would be just a continuous Sky/Ineos episode. A genuine cycling fan, not just die hard Ineos fan, for sure must give them credit for that.

Nobody is perfect.

P.S. But OK, if you are going to nitpick like that, objectively, races where Slovenians participate. Are they in general more interesting or not? Honest answer.

Of course it's nice when they take part, they are two of the strongest riders, Pogacar in my eyes the strongest overall at the moment. Does that mean races where they aren't there aren't worth watching or by definition boring? Not at all. Does that mean they have brought an excitement that only they can provide, thereby saving and healing the sport? No.

I am going to stop spamming Dani Martinez' thread now.

Of course it's nice when they take part, they are two of the strongest riders, Pogacar in my eyes the strongest overall at the moment. Does that mean races where they aren't there aren't worth watching or by definition boring? Not at all. Does that mean they have brought an excitement that only they can provide, thereby saving and healing the sport? No.

Then don't blame me for saying the things you agree with.

In my defence i didn't say i won't watch pro cycling due to it being boring. What i said is i must pay a tribute to football, for saying no to Super League. I did that and in our home football league, Prva Liga, Mura won the championship, rightfully so. Today is Champions League finale and i am going to cherish it. I said i will keep an eye on Giro, Evenepoel phenomena, i did just that. The whole Giro occupied me a bit more that i anticipated. Now it is true i won't watch cycling anymore, until Tour. Not because being boring but because Tour will consume me. There is just no way around that. In addition i increased the training interval from 3 times a week to 5 times a week, to be in good shape for Tour.

Priorities.

Then Froome started to show some progress, just no way out of it.

I am going to stop spamming Dani Martinez' thread now.

We did spam a bit but Martínez not necessarily getting angry at us. As most of the time we talked about Ineos and a cyclist prospect as a GT contender in such team. And he is in such position now.

Anyway, see you all at the Tour!

I have to admit, I am a little surprised by the forum’s reaction to Martinez’s performance at this Giro. The guy has a pedigree. Albeit never over three weeks, but he is young. I don’t think anyone me should be surprised by his performance.

If Vaughters had an outright choice between keeping Martinez or Carthy (no budget considerations), I think he is probably regretting his decision. Carthy will always be limited in grand tour GC ambitions by his TT. I think, in this Giro, if Martinez is riding for himself on a decent team, he is on the podium, and could have threatened Bernal.

I have to admit, I am a little surprised by the forum’s reaction to Martinez’s performance at this Giro. The guy has a pedigree. Albeit never over three weeks, but he is young. I don’t think anyone me should be surprised by his performance.

If Vaughters had an outright choice between keeping Martinez or Carthy (no budget considerations), I think he is probably regretting his decision. Carthy will always be limited in grand tour GC ambitions by his TT. I think, in this Giro, if Martinez is riding for himself on a decent team, he is on the podium, and could have threatened Bernal.

Nahh. Wonderfull domestique, could in the future be a leader but despite being able to defend himself in iTT (today he lost 54 seconds to Almeida so he will lose more to Pogacar etc...) very bad descendig skills and there's no way he can be a Top3 contender at a GT with those kind of descendig lack of skills.

Perhaps in one week races he may have a shot of being a leader if the profile of the mountain stages suit him.

If he wants to have a role as a leader he must however leave Ineos, because I don't see him be given the chance to lead in the next 2/3 years at Ineos in a GT

Nahh. Wonderfull domestique, could in the future be a leader but despite being able to defend himself in iTT (today he lost 54 seconds to Almeida so he will lose more to Pogacar etc...) very bad descendig skills and there's no way he can be a Top3 contender at a GT with those kind of descendig lack of skills.

Perhaps in one week races he may have a shot of being a leader if the profile of the mountain stages suit him.

If he wants to have a role as a leader he must however leave Ineos, because I don't see him be given the chance to lead in the next 2/3 years at Ineos in a GT
He just finished 5th at a GT while working as a domestique. He can definitely be a podium contender in the future.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
He just finished 5th at a GT while working as a domestique. He can definitely be a podium contender in the future.
True, but being a domestique at Ineos where he was only called to work after all the other guys in the team. A little bit diferent but sure he may develop to be able to contend for a top3 in the future, who knows. But he still needs to improve his descendings if he wants to have a chance of doing that in a GT.

True, but being a domestique at Ineos where he was only called to work after all the other guys in the team. A little bit diferent but sure he may develop to be able to contend for a top3 in the future, who knows. But he still needs to improve his descendings if he wants to have a chance of doing that in a GT.
True, he was the last domestique to work for Ineos but if he was leading a team he would be doing even less work.
And he was only 2"51" off of the podium having crashed on the descent of the Giau and clearly having to wait for Bernal on Sega di Ala.