• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Brabantse Pijl: April 14th 2021

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
also have a feeling many people are completely underrating Pidcock's explosiveness in races up till 200km.

In CX this season he was, at points, even more explosive than VDP. (But then lost that time again in technical parts)

I was not surprised at all seeing him outsprint Van Aert. Not 1 bit
I was aware of his fast sprint, but still, if you asked me before the race, who wins in a sprint after a race like today between him and van Aert, I'd say van Aert at least 8 out of 10 times. Maybe today it was one of the two Pidcock wins in my imaginary world. But I've changed my perception of him a bit after today, that's for sure. Time will tell.

And although I find it actually a good thing not all races are completely dominated by a few guys it's just incredible how high our expectations are regarding these guys. Van der Poel still won Strade and got second in de Ronde, plus several more wins and good placings... van Aert won G-W, and was close to the top in almost every race he was in... I just can't call that disappointing. When you are (believed to be) that strong it becomes a tactical problem, and in our times there are other strong riders who are always very close. So it's no wonder they can't just dominate the one-day-races. (And like I said, that's a good thing.)

Same thing happened with Cancellara. He was almost always the strongest. Better tactically than those guys but also made some big mistakes that cost him chances at winning.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow Pidcock...he is fast! Stupid decision by Trentin there to leadout the sprint. Van Aert very strong. He wins a lot but he also loses a lot. Shades of prime Sagan. Although the two riders with him surprisingly did a lot of work today.

Pidcock looked completely on the limit a couple of times on the climbs. He was on the verge of being dropped. Amazing how he found the strength to go on the attack with van Aert and then win the sprint. Chapeau!
Tbf, at the point Trentin launched I think it was just to protect a podium spot. He could see Cosnefrey closing quickly behind and probably knew he didn't have enough left to beat WVA and Pidcock, having burnt matches earlier in his time out front alone.

I was aware of his fast sprint, but still, if you asked me before the race, who wins in a sprint after a race like today between him and van Aert, I'd say van Aert at least 8 out of 10 times. Maybe today it was one of the two Pidcock wins in my imaginary world. But I've changed my perception of him a bit after today, that's for sure. Time will tell.
I've seen a few comments from other rides about how quick he is in a sprint. One of those was Froome so maybe that one doesn't count, but If I remember correctly another was MvdP...and now WVA.

Pidcock's gonna win Flèche Wallonne too.

He reminds me of the late Bjorg Lambrecht in style and stature.

i’m usually wrong, but from what I have seen every time he has lost ground in races it has been on the steep climbs. Think dropping back in Strade Bianchi, Tour of Flanders and a couple of times in the Brabantse Pijl. Admittedly he also attacked on the steep climbs so what do I know

What... The... F

The Lithuanian rider Olivija Baleisyte of Aromitalia - Basso Bikes - Vaiano missed a turn and ended up on the highway! And she just decided to keep riding instead of turning back??

Stayed away from results and wasn't able to watch until today. Two great finishes. That Vollering/Winder sprint...I don't even know what to say. It seems like like where they took the finish wasn't where I thought they would.

For some reason I wasn't surprised at all to see Pidcock take that. I kinda expected it - he just looked fresh and was pedaling with suppleness. Anyway, another young super talent.

TRENDING THREADS