• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Ronde van Vlaanderen (270.8 km), 2024 March 31 (Sunday)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it not possible that the crash today is actually bad for MvdP's winning chances? I see the opportunity for a much more uncontrollable race, without the iron grip og Visma or tre,k that he often exploits.

that's all I want. I want so much mayhem and Alpecin having troubles and someone not being VDP winning. even a wild breakaway like Vansummeren and O'Grady at Roubaix

Is it not possible that the crash today is actually bad for MvdP's winning chances? I see the opportunity for a much more uncontrollable race, without the iron grip og Visma or tre,k that he often exploits.

that's all I want. I want so much mayhem and Alpecin having troubles and someone not being VDP winning. even a wild breakaway like Vansummeren and O'Grady at Roubaix
It’s going to be like a scene out of Lord of the Rings - infinite riders attacking all around in a frenzy while MVdP slashes them all away on his horse, riding to victory.

If he goes to sleep like he did twice in the early part of last years race every team with leaders on the right side of the split need to drive it full gas to bury him while they can.

Barring incidents I can’t see anyone hanging onto MVDP on the final Paterburg even if anyone is left at that point.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Idk, yes you would think that but it will be a weird race. Normally MVDP also needs other riders to make the race hard or to ride with him.

With none of the other top contenders there or in fit shape who's gonna ride with him? And especially in the part until 50k? Could be a really weird race. Although idk how he would lose this without crashing or falling ill. But I said the same when Asgreen won lol

Idk, yes you would think that but it will be a weird race. Normally MVDP also needs other riders to make the race hard or to ride with him.

With none of the other top contenders there or in fit shape who's gonna ride with him? And especially in the part until 50k? Could be a really weird race. Although idk how he would lose this without crashing or falling ill. But I said the same when Asgreen won lol
Küng

He always works. If Van der Poel can take him with him-> Perfect

Last edited:
Visma will be having a hard time finding a full team with all their rider problems.
They've got quite some depth in numbers no? The brothers Van Dijke are really decent cobbles riders and would be in the starting line up of any other WT race, Van der Sande and Vermote are useful domestiques with loads of experience and I haven't heard any confirmation that DvB is out for next Sunday. Remarkably with so many riders out, they'll still be one of the best teams.

Right when the crash happened I thought "That's it, just not interested in Sunday anymore...". After sitting with this overnight I'm thinking I might have been too hasty. The playing field has been leveled a bit with Lidl-Trek taking a hit, Visma has had issues all spring, Alpecin I don't think has the best support for MVDP for this race, SQS has been nowhere all year, etc. I really think this race has a very strong chance of turning into uncontrollable chaos. Perfect year for a surprise winner IMHO; even if Mathieu tries to force some kind of early selection no one is going to want to help him to the finale. Of course he's still the favorite but I don't think it's a slam dunk at all. Add in rain and this one becomes extremely difficult to predict.

I'm hoping Matteo finds he can handle 270k; the guy is absolutely on flying form, he's showing he's got a nose for being in the right place at the right time in these races, and he won't be remotely as marked as Mathieu will be. Perfect darkhorse bet for me. While I'm gutted for WVA and Stuyven I'm looking forward to this one again.

Right when the crash happened I thought "That's it, just not interested in Sunday anymore...". After sitting with this overnight I'm thinking I might have been too hasty. The playing field has been leveled a bit with Lidl-Trek taking a hit, Visma has had issues all spring, Alpecin I don't think has the best support for MVDP for this race, SQS has been nowhere all year, etc. I really think this race has a very strong chance of turning into uncontrollable chaos. Perfect year for a surprise winner IMHO; even if Mathieu tries to force some kind of early selection no one is going to want to help him to the finale. Of course he's still the favorite but I don't think it's a slam dunk at all. Add in rain and this one becomes extremely difficult to predict.

I'm hoping Matteo finds he can handle 270k; the guy is absolutely on flying form, he's showing he's got a nose for being in the right place at the right time in these races, and he won't be remotely as marked as Mathieu will be. Perfect darkhorse bet for me. While I'm gutted for WVA and Stuyven I'm looking forward to this one again.
then again, I remember E3 and Mathieu destroyed a field with much fitter/better other favorites over a course 60km shorter with a 44k solo to boot. If he's anywhere near that and Glasgow form I don't think having a team even remotely matters.