• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Decision time 2011.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Every poster name your TDF top 10, Jersey winners and if you feel like it other notables.

To demonstrate, I will first post the Official CN Forum predictions as decided by an expert panel - me.

So here are the Official Cycling News Forum predictions for the 2011 Tour de France.

Are you ready to see them?

You are probably dying with excitement.

All will be revealed.

If you just scroll down.

Just a little bit more.

Here they are.

1 Andrew

2 The Great One

3 Cuddles Evens

4 The Condor

5 The Olympic Champion

6 Ivan Grozhny

7 VINO !!!! (+ stage win)

8 Van Den Breakaway

9 Little Prince

10 CVV

Dotted breakaway jersey - Moncoutie

Fake points jersey - Next world and Olympic Champion

Needless and worthless, rider under certain age ranking - Self Explanetory - see List

Lantern Rouge - TGBM

Other comments- Gilbert top 20 and 2 stages. Uran a stage.

Feel you can do better?

Please post your predictions below.

Hurry. The ones on the early pages are more likely to be read ;)

1. Pistola + 2 stages
2. VDB
3. Andy Chain
4. Sanchez
5. Gesinck
6. Evans
7. Kloden
8. Levi
9. Duran + 1 stage
10.Gadret

KOM= Moncoutie
Green=Gilbert

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
1 Andy schleck
2 Basso
3 Evans
4 Franck Schleck
5 Wiggins
6 Leipheimer
7 Contador
8 Van den broeck
9 Sanchez
10 Le mevel

green - Cunego
kom - moncoutie
white jersey - taamare

my guess work.... I think contador will have suffered too much in the giro and wont be able to compete well and go for stage wins... gesink will fall and hurt himself( I don't predict this because I just noticed i forgot about him :S) and ehhh I really have no idea, but andy to win and wiggins to be back at his 2009 best.

1. Contador
2. A. Shleck
3. Van Den Broeck
4. Samu
5. Gesink
6. Evans
7. Vinokourov
8. Wiggins
9. Cunego
10. Danielson (The obligatory Garmin newcomer to Top 10 of Tour)

I think people are reading way to much into the TT abilities. With the TT, you have less then 70 km of it

Green-Gilbert With this new point system, I am going with a surprise, someone who can score points not only on hilly/mtn stage, but also the appropiate intermediate sprints on those stages after climbs.

Polka Dot- Moncoutie, the stage into St. Flour will be the day of his breakaway.

White-Gesink

palmerq said:
1 Andy schleck
2 Basso
3 Evans
4 Franck Schleck
5 Wiggins
6 Leipheimer
7 Contador
8 Van den broeck
9 Sanchez
10 Le mevel

green - Cunego
kom - moncoutie
white jersey - taamare

my guess work.... I think contador will have suffered too much in the giro and wont be able to compete well and go for stage wins... gesink will fall and hurt himself( I don't predict this because I just noticed i forgot about him :S) and ehhh I really have no idea, but andy to win and wiggins to be back at his 2009 best.

Blasphemy! :p Meh, I'm rooting for him but wouldn't put money on it.

palmerq said:
1 Andy schleck
2 Basso
3 Evans
4 Franck Schleck
5 Wiggins
6 Leipheimer
7 Contador

8 Van den broeck
9 Sanchez
10 Le mevel

green - Cunego
kom - moncoutie
white jersey - taamare

Wow! Conti below King Wheelsucker! That's a low blow ;)

gregrowlerson said:
1. Andy
2. Cadel
3. Klodi
4. Gesink
5. Contador (a little tired from Giro, maybe loses big time on one MTF)
6. Frank Schleck (will seriously threaten for the podium until ITT)
7. Sami Sanchez
8. Wiggins
9. VDB
10. Levi

Some further explanation:
Perfect route for Andy; if he brings last years form then he should win, providing that Contador is not on his top (Giro) form. Evans has had good form all season and should be a lock for top 5 barring any big misfortune. In '09 he lost it mentally starting with the TTT (this year he should lose a lot less time in it) and last year with the crash and injury. Klodi is a bit of a hopeful prediction, but is possible. I don't think any RS rider will be amongst the top 5 climbers in the race, and this is a climbers TDF, but they do have a VERY strong team, and this will enable whoever their leader ends up being, to limit their losses potentially well. For example, Kloden may crack badly on stage 18, but might lose 3 minutes insted of 5-6, thanks to having a strong teammate to ride behind (could be any of the other big 3). Either Levi or Jani could also be RS's top 5 candidate, but I don't see Horner being that rider. Never before has he ridden close to the best in the high mountains of a GT or in an ITT, whereas Klodi and Levi have, and Jani is not too old. The chances of an RS rider finishing on the podium may be helped by them riding for a podium rather than for the win. Klodi may be dropped when there are still 20 riders in the main pack at the bottom of the final climb, but might steadily climb back into the top 10 on the stage while some others who are racing to win blow a gasket and lose major time. The likes of Evans, Gesink, Contador and Basso will all try their upmost to stay with Andy; someone is bound to really pay for that. Basso for me is unpredictable this year. At the start of the season I felt he was some sort of chance to win, but his preparation seems to have been very poor. Even if he has made a late recovery it could still hurt him later, just by not having enough racing miles in his legs. In the '06 TDF Kloden lost major time in the first hard mountain stage, perhaps largely because he was injured in April/May. Will the same happen to Ivan? I think that Basso will probably be a non factor, but if he is up there going into stage 12 that will make it interesting. I think that stage 8 will be important for him. If he can go with them on the shorter, faster climb then he might go even better on the long climbs that his diesel is suited to. Sami is also hard to read. Hasn't had great form this year, but maybe I've underated him a little. Looking forward to stage 1!

Now that most of my games and bets and that **** are in.

1 Alberto Contador
2 Andy Schleck
3 Samuel Sanchez
4 Ivan Basso
5 Cadel Evans
6 Robert Gesink
7 Jurgen Van den Broeck
8 Frank Schleck
9 Chris Horner
10 Andreas Klöden

KoM: Andy

Team: Radioshack. AG2R 2nd.

gregrowlerson said:
Some further explanation:
Perfect route for Andy; if he brings last years form then he should win, providing that Contador is not on his top (Giro) form. Evans has had good form all season and should be a lock for top 5 barring any big misfortune. In '09 he lost it mentally starting with the TTT (this year he should lose a lot less time in it) and last year with the crash and injury. Klodi is a bit of a hopeful prediction, but is possible. I don't think any RS rider will be amongst the top 5 climbers in the race, and this is a climbers TDF, but they do have a VERY strong team, and this will enable whoever their leader ends up being, to limit their losses potentially well. For example, Kloden may crack badly on stage 18, but might lose 3 minutes insted of 5-6, thanks to having a strong teammate to ride behind (could be any of the other big 3). Either Levi or Jani could also be RS's top 5 candidate, but I don't see Horner being that rider. Never before has he ridden close to the best in the high mountains of a GT or in an ITT, whereas Klodi and Levi have, and Jani is not too old. The chances of an RS rider finishing on the podium may be helped by them riding for a podium rather than for the win. Klodi may be dropped when there are still 20 riders in the main pack at the bottom of the final climb, but might steadily climb back into the top 10 on the stage while some others who are racing to win blow a gasket and lose major time. The likes of Evans, Gesink, Contador and Basso will all try their upmost to stay with Andy; someone is bound to really pay for that. Basso for me is unpredictable this year. At the start of the season I felt he was some sort of chance to win, but his preparation seems to have been very poor. Even if he has made a late recovery it could still hurt him later, just by not having enough racing miles in his legs. In the '06 TDF Kloden lost major time in the first hard mountain stage, perhaps largely because he was injured in April/May. Will the same happen to Ivan? I think that Basso will probably be a non factor, but if he is up there going into stage 12 that will make it interesting. I think that stage 8 will be important for him. If he can go with them on the shorter, faster climb then he might go even better on the long climbs that his diesel is suited to. Sami is also hard to read. Hasn't had great form this year, but maybe I've underated him a little. Looking forward to stage 1!
i have to go with Alberto because he has everything to tell with this win. It ties him with lance on total grand tour win. It teaches Andy he doesn't need his mechanical to beat him, he gives him the double that has not been done a a long while. And some bargaining chips with those who believe he was doped last year and so will fail under tighter supervision.

2 Andy Schleck
3 Samuel Sanchez
4 Ivan Basso
5 Cadel Evans
6 Robert Gesink
7 Jurgen Van den Broeck
8 Frank Schleck
9 Chris Horner
10 Andreas Klöden

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Clenbutador
Schleck A
Evans
Gesink
Jurgen
Wiggo
Samu
Basso
Horner
Frank

Green (and plenty of stage wins) - Cav
White - Gesink
Polka - Who cares probably some Frenchy very low on the standings or maybe Contador if he decides the yellow isnt enough.
Team - Radioshack.

Most importantly Gossy to pop his TDF cherry with a win in week 1 and possibly to wear yellow for a bit.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
01) Contador - Can and will do the double, even one as hard as this, thereby asserting his authority.

02) Basso - Will give Conti a run for his money.

03) Schleckette - despite his lack of form up to now.

04) Evans - Will falter in the third week after riding well.

05) Sanchez, S.

06) Gesink

07) Van den Broeck

08) Cunego

09) Wiggins

10) Horner

Green: Manx Missile, who else
KOM: Contador
White: Gesink

Team: No clue, don't really care

Not terribly confident of my prediction this year, but I'll take full credit for every one I get right. :rolleyes:

May 8, 2009
Visit site
1. Alberto Contador (+ 3 stage win)
2-Cadel Evans (TT winner, strong as a Diesel)
3- Samuel Sánchez (+ 1 stage win, he will cooperate with Contador given SB poor team, to get a podium )
4-Robert Gesink (solid everyday, but that is all)
5-Andy Schleck (he will loose time in the first week and in Massif Central, and again in the TT. He will win in Alpe riding with Contador)
4. Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Same as Geesink)
5. Damiano Cunego (+ stage win)
6. Uran (+ stage win)
7. Andreas Klöden
8. Christian Vande Velde
9. Frank Schleck
10. Wiggins

Green and KOM for a climber this year :)

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
1. Contador
2. Gesink
3. Sanchez
4. Evans
5. Schleck
6. Van den Broeck
7. Basso
8. Horner
9. Gadret
10. Vinokourov

Testing my wishful hypothesis that the best Tour prep is a tough Giro.

1. A Schleck
2. Contador
3. Sanchez
4. Gesink
5. Basso
6. Evans
7. VDB
8. Kloden
9. F. Schleck
10. Wiggins

Green: Cav, then Petacchi
KoM: A Schleck
Team: Radioshack

Others:
Mollema to send the Dutch wild as he gets in a breakaway and leads up the Alpe, only for A Schleck to come past him in the last couple of kilometres.

Intxausti to go for the stage win up to the Galibier.

Rolland to win a mountain stage.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
1. Contador - total domination
2. Evans
3. Gesink
4. Danielson
5. A. Scheck
6. Samu Sanchez
7. Van den Broeck
8. Basso
9. Levi
10. Gadret

Green: Cav
Team: Movistar

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
1. Alberto Contador (+ 3 stage win)
2-Cadel Evans (TT winner, strong as a Diesel)
3- Samuel Sánchez (+ 1 stage win, he will cooperate with Contador given SB poor team, to get a podium )
4-Robert Gesink (solid everyday, but that is all)
5-Andy Schleck (he will loose time in the first week and in Massif Central, and again in the TT. He will win in Alpe riding with Contador)
4. Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Same as Geesink)
5. Damiano Cunego (+ stage win)
6. Uran (+ stage win)
7. Andreas Klöden
8. Christian Vande Velde
9. Frank Schleck
10. Wiggins

Green and KOM for a climber this year :)
I think its pretty much sport on apart from swapping Van Den Broeck with Frank and possible Porte sneaking ahead of Wiggins (wishfull thinking I know!!!)

Green: Cav
Team: Lepoard Treck

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Now that most of my games and bets and that **** are in.

1 Alberto Contador
2 Andy Schleck
3 Samuel Sanchez
4 Ivan Basso
5 Cadel Evans
6 Robert Gesink
7 Jurgen Van den Broeck
8 Frank Schleck
9 Chris Horner
10 Andreas Klöden

KoM: Andy

Team: Radioshack. AG2R 2nd.

Kinda surprised you didn't lock this thread after making your post...