• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dekker's Positive

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Not surprised in the least (long time coming) rabobank's behaivour surrounding dekker (letting a young talented rider with 2 pro tour wins under his belt go, leaving him out of sqaud for tour when he won romandie just a cpl months prior.. makes little sense really) suggested there was something going on. S-L sure did put some thought into thier transfers.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
http://www.sportwereld.nl/wielrennen/3334371/Doping_Dekker_niet_naar_de_tour.html
I am totally shocked to find out that thomas dekker has tested positive for epo at rabobank during 2007.Cyclingnews don't even know this yet. Cadel will really struggle without him.

Definitely bad news for Cadel. Good news for doping controls. However, I don't know if it was the case here, but I am sure getting tired of doping authorities sitting on their info until the eve of a grand tour (or other timing of greatest impact). I guess we can be grateful they didn't wait until after the tour started. Did they really just find out? Unlikely. Of course I don't feel too sorry for the Silence-Lotto, there were plenty of warning signs from Rabobank about Dekker.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Not surprised in the least (long time coming) rabobank's behaivour surrounding dekker (letting a young talented rider with 2 pro tour wins under his belt go, leaving him out of sqaud for tour when he won romandie just a cpl months prior.. makes little sense really) suggested there was something going on. S-L sure did put some thought into thier transfers.

Yep, I think everyone in the Netherland knew something was wrong. Then, when his performance suffered significantly, it was in your face...

Thomas Dekker's personalwebsite is off line.

Hey, Aussiecyclingfan, how did you get to know this news. You understand dutch? ;)

Definitely bad news for Cadel. Good news for doping controls. However, I don't know if it was the case here, but I am sure getting tired of doping authorities sitting on their info until the eve of a grand tour (or other timing of greatest impact). I guess we can be grateful they didn't wait until after the tour started. Did they really just find out? Unlikely. Of course I don't feel too sorry for the Silence-Lotto, there were plenty of warning signs from Rabobank about Dekker.

The Silence lotto page explains it. His 2007 (RAB) blood values were suspicious. RAB let him go, picked up by SIL. UCI tested him then for EPO, but didn't find anything. They recently retested the urine sample with newer tests, since they had reason to remain suspicious (due to the old values that were slightly off), and then they found a positive..

What can you expect from someone who worked with Chechini, and trained with Pettachi and other confirmed dopers in Italy. No suprise here...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Yep, I think everyone in the Netherland knew something was wrong. Then, when his performance suffered significantly, it was in your face...

His website is off line.

Hey, Aussie, how did you get to know this news. You understand dutch? ;)

Bala verde is who i found out from. he was my source and i broke the story! i am sad for the fans of cycling. We don't deserve this

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Who's running this horse and pony show? Dekker was always suspect with the way Rabobank was handling him ... but testing positive in 2007. Why did they release this information now - 2 years after the positive and 3 days before the TdF? Silence Lotto should sue Rabobank for allowing them to contract Dekker in the first place knowing that he had doped and then directly sabotaging their TdF campaign by releasing this information now, 2 years after his positive test. The UCI should also weigh in against Rabobank for not releasing this information when available. Rabobank's handling of the whole Rasmussen affair is even more suspect in the light of these events. This stinks to high heaven and I hope Rabobank pays heavily.

Lotto gambles and loses again.

auscyclefan94 said:
http://www.sportwereld.nl/wielrennen/3334371/Doping_Dekker_niet_naar_de_tour.html
I am totally shocked to find out that thomas dekker has tested positive for epo at rabobank during 2007.Cyclingnews don't even know this yet. Cadel will really struggle without him.

So all the controversy between himself and Rabobank where they held him out of races due to suspicious test results and he complained to the high heavens that he was being treated unfairly finally comes to the surface.

Lotto once again gambled on a rider with controversy in their past and
lost. Evans should fair alright. He's so accustomed to this type of support that he'll just continue as he always has. Not being the favorite like last year takes a load of pressure off his shoulders.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sophistic said:
No surprise, he(and other Rabobank riders at that time-Menchov,Boogerd,Rasmussen) have been linked to the blood doping lab in Austria.

Dekker was never linked with Human plasma I think. He was a protege of Chechini...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Good news for Wegelius. And good news for Lotto that it happened when they can substitute for him on the Tour team.

I wondered if something was up when his poor performance in the national championships was chalked up to eating a bad breakfast or something like that.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Dekker was never linked with Human plasma I think. He was a protege of Chechini...

He was, actually. Boogerd, Dekker, Weening, Menchov, Rasmussen and Posthuma.

And he had Checchini as "personal trainer" too :p

From what I read they retested his old samples because of the passport blood values I believe.

But anyway this isn't surprisind at all and I am wondering in what way exactly auscyclefan94 is shoked.
Shoked because Cadel lost a helper, shoked that a guy who cried out for testing positive got tested positive or shoked that Silence gave a guy a contract in the first place who had to leave his former team because he cried out for testing positive?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
I wondered if something was up when his poor performance in the national championships was chalked up to eating a bad breakfast or something like that.

From what I'm told, that part is actually true. Dekker himself apparently has no idea he's tested positive. Nobody can get a hang of him :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Who's running this horse and pony show? Dekker was always suspect with the way Rabobank was handling him ... but testing positive in 2007. Why did they release this information now - 2 years after the positive and 3 days before the TdF? Silence Lotto should sue Rabobank for allowing them to contract Dekker in the first place knowing that he had doped and then directly sabotaging their TdF campaign by releasing this information now, 2 years after his positive test. The UCI should also weigh in against Rabobank for not releasing this information when available. Rabobank's handling of the whole Rasmussen affair is even more suspect in the light of these events. This stinks to high heaven and I hope Rabobank pays heavily.

What are you talking about?? :rolleyes:

WADA only made this result known now, after re-testing a sample from Dec. 07. The fact that this 'news' has only now been made public has totally nothing to do with Rabo and everything to do with WADA. At the time he was still a Rabo rider this sample was tested as negative.

(Damn, forced to talk about the D word) :(

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
So all the controversy between himself and Rabobank where they held him out of races due to suspicious test results and he complained to the high heavens that he was being treated unfairly finally comes to the surface.

Lotto once again gambled on a rider with controversy in their past and
lost. Evans should fair alright. He's so accustomed to this type of support that he'll just continue as he always has. Not being the favorite like last year takes a load of pressure off his shoulders.

How has lotto gambled on him? Unfortunately lotto are made to look the bad guys as it was on Rabobank where he tested positive. On dekkers website it is currently offline but i was on it an hour beforre the incident. They din't know he was a cheat.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Good news for Wegelius. And good news for Lotto that it happened when they can substitute for him on the Tour team.

He was obviously already notified of his positive. Most rider drop out for some stomach related illness. They feel sick for having been caught ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

Ummmmm.... Highly doubt rabobank knew of the postive, given that the new tests just recently became avialable, they merely suspected something was up, and they didn't really make this a secret... S-L knew it was a big risk takin Dekker, so rabobank did nothing whatsoever to sabotage S-L, especially if you consider Rabobank actually released Dekker as a free rider months before S-L signed him (wasn't a transfer mate), so before you try and accuse rabobank, maybe it's better to have a look at the stupidity of S-L ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
He was obviously already notified of his positive.

Not the case, from what I'm told from someone....uhh....close to him. He's travelling to Monaco today, so he's unreachable at the moment.

The case does make you feel funny thogh about how the WADA is dealing with these things...
they got an obvious one about whom noone should be surprised at all who knows just a bit about the doping-problem in general.

But how about less real-obvious cases (I mean to me there is only obvious and even more obvious about top performances but anyway). What about big stars of the sport?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
a lot of people here in NL are going to be very disappointed.

He was seen as a great talent.

It's funny I saw him get dropped with a group of amateurs off the back of the peloton halfway through the national championship on sunday and I thought to myself that he is 10% of the rider he used to be.

Now it all makes sense. The story about throwing up 7 times due to rotten eggs is nonsense - he knew he was f^&*ed and was mentally elsewhere.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Not the case, from what I'm told from someone....uhh....close to him. He's travelling to Monaco today, so he's unreachable at the moment.

hmm that's rather painful then. Dekker does not know, but we do... If that's the truth, UCI/SIL/WADA are doing a helluva job.

Interesting to see that SIL keeps on signing guys that pop a positive sooner or later. Perhaps, as Kohl said, they use the passport to figure out if someone can get away with it. The answer is, apparently not. :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Ummmmm.... Highly doubt rabobank knew of the postive, given that the new tests just recently became avialable, they merely suspected something was up, and they didn't really make this a secret... S-L knew it was a big risk takin Dekker, so rabobank did nothing whatsoever to sabotage S-L, especially if you consider Rabobank actually released Dekker as a free rider months before S-L signed him (wasn't a transfer mate), so before you try and accuse rabobank, maybe it's better to have a look at the stupidity of S-L ;)

Many teams have picked up riders who are suspect. Look at Ivan Basso who is at Liquigas. I think neither rabobank or lotto are at blame. Lotto is just a scapegoat of what is dekkers fault only. Don't blame lotto for picking him up. An hour earlier people wouldn't have been bothered by lotto picking up dekker. Lose some of your bias Tommy loves rabo

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
wow first Sinkewitz and now this it almost as if WADA is waving this at UCI saying look what been happening under your noses all this time.

TRENDING THREADS