• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Destination of the white jersey.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
With the mountains fast approaching I,m wondering on peoples thoughts on the young riders jersey over the next few days.
Tejay holds a lead over these climbers and your thoughts on will he be over taken and if he is can he retake it in the time trial.

Rein Taaramae 12 sec
Wouter Poels 14 sec
Thibaut Pinot 37 sec
Steven Kruijswijk 43 sec
Rafael valls ferri 51 sec

If he is gonna lose it if only for a few days, who will it be?

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Boasson Hagen to limit his losses on saturday, and take the white jersey on monday. :D

Sorry left out the sky man and sagan at 1 sec and 13 sec. But if that happens its one for the clinic I think.:)

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
If Taaramäe is anything like his form in the TdF 2011, he could surprise you all in the TT. In the pre-season, he took himself a personal fitness trainer and he started doing regular gym exercises by a schedule (before he went to the gym much less and just did stuff without basically knowing what he did). So he should be a lot stronger now and that would logically benefit him in the TT (he is yet to post a TT this season without being ill or suffering from his broken hand). Last year he went 9th in he time trial and if I remember correctly it was the best time posted by any young rider (including EBH and TJVG). If his form still sucks then TJVG will easily take the white jersey. (unless certain dutch riders have anything to say about that)

May 31, 2011
Visit site
LaFleur said:
If Taaramäe is anything like his form in the TdF 2011, he could surprise you all in the TT. In the pre-season, he took himself a personal fitness trainer and he started doing regular gym exercises by a schedule (before he went to the gym much less and just did stuff without basically knowing what he did). So he should be a lot stronger now and that would logically benefit him in the TT (he is yet to post a TT this season without being ill or suffering from his broken hand). Last year he went 9th in he time trial and if I remember correctly it was the best time posted by any young rider (including EBH and TJVG). If his form still sucks then TJVG will easily take the white jersey. (unless certain dutch riders have anything to say about that)

I know you have some sort of avatar bet concerning Taaramäe, but are you also his fan? You are rather well-informed about him and mention him quite often. So you either are a fan or you are taking this bet to the limit. :p

If you are a fan, what's so appealing about him? Out of curiousity, not criticism.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Azabael said:
I know you have some sort of avatar bet concerning Taaramäe, but are you also his fan? You are rather well-informed about him and mention him quite often. So you either are a fan or you are taking this bet to the limit. :p

If you are a fan, what's so appealing about him? Out of curiousity, not criticism.

I'm from the same country as him, that's basically the only reason.. I talk about him so much because I know about him more than anybody else in this forum. He is certainly not the only rider I'm a fan of.

Also, the reason why people could really like Taaramäe, is that he riders for the excitement and pleasure of cycling, not for the money. He basically gives every cent he gets to her relatives in Estonia (bought a decent house for his mother some time ago). And I think some of you have read the mock that the french press gave him about his crappy car. (It's not like he wouldn't have the money to buy a decent one, he just doesn't think it's important)

I also like that he is very brave in his statements: when he is mad about someone, he clearly says that in his blogs. He has stated his opinions on several doping cases, he always says something about the crashes and when a teammate p***es him off with something, he talks about it in his blog. (There was a case some time ago when his teammate declined of carrying the water bottles for some reason and Taaramäe went in on him in the blog.)

May 31, 2011
Visit site
LaFleur said:
I'm from the same country as him, that's basically the only reason.. I talk about him so much because I know about him more than anybody else in this forum. He is certainly not the only rider I'm a fan of.

Also, the reason why people could really like Taaramäe, is that he riders for the excitement and pleasure of cycling, not for the money. He basically gives every cent he gets to her relatives in Estonia (bought a decent house for his mother some time ago). And I think some of you have read the mock that the french press gave him about his crappy car. (It's not like he wouldn't have the money to buy a decent one, he just doesn't think it's important)

I also like that he is very brave in his statements: when he is mad about someone, he clearly says that in his blogs. He has stated his opinions on several doping cases, he always says something about the crashes and when a teammate p***es him off with something, he talks about it in his blog. (There was a case some time ago when his teammate declined of carrying the water bottles for some reason and Taaramäe went in on him in the blog.)

Thanks for clearing that up. I must say I like almost everything you tell about him. Except maybe for the final thing. It depends on whether he talks about it with that person first, or just adresses it in his blog. Because I believe that if you have a problem with someone, you should solve that with each other, not in a public blog. It wouldn't be a problem if it's solved already and he merely uses his blog to share his view on the solved problem. But anyway, thanks to you I like him a bit more than I did 30min ago!

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Azabael said:
Thanks for clearing that up. I must say I like almost everything you tell about him. Except maybe for the final thing. It depends on whether he talks about it with that person first, or just adresses it in his blog. Because I believe that if you have a problem with someone, you should solve that with each other, not in a public blog. It wouldn't be a problem if it's solved already and he merely uses his blog to share his view on the solved problem. But anyway, thanks to you I like him a bit more than I did 30min ago!

Don't worry. He didn't write it only in his blog he let "the one" know it personally too.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
If he reaches Giro 11-last week form, Kruijswijk by a country mile. I mean he was anwering attacks by Rodriguez and Contador in the last week. Never seen Taaramae or TJVG or Poels do that
The OP is talking about the immediate future, I think. Like, the coming weekend. I don't think Van Garderen can win it, but he'll wear it for a week more.

And Kruijswijk has crashed twice already, today he complained about his hip. I don't think anything at all has happened to the other white jersey contenders (which, in itself, is quite remarkable)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Taaramae looks as even better shoe-in for this comp at the moment. However, Kruisjwik might attack in latter partss of Tour in break and might gain substantial amount so this is definitely not over yet.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Now that TJVG has got the white jersey back on his shoulder is he the main favourite for it now? I'd say yes.

Pinot -Even if he does gain on him in the mountains then TJVG will take too much out of him in the last ITT.

Gallopin - I seriously have no idea how he has ended up so high this far , could be the joker , but i do feel that his climbing ability isin't there yet.

Taaramäe -Was very impressive in stage 7 but lacklustre in both the mountain stage after that and the ITT. Perhaps isin't in his best shape to challenge TJVG for the white in the upcoming stages.

I do hope that Taaramäe does get it but i'm afraid that he won't get enough time on TJVG on the mountains..

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I like Tejay and hope he wins white... but he's run out of gas in GT's in the past. Particularly in late stage ITT's. 99th in the stage 17 ITT in 2010 Vuelta. 67th in 20th stage ITT in 2011 Tour. I'm going to wait until I see him finish strong in a 3-week race before I believe he will do so.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
niidirull said:
Now that TJVG has got the white jersey back on his shoulder is he the main favourite for it now? I'd say yes.

Pinot -Even if he does gain on him in the mountains then TJVG will take too much out of him in the last ITT.

Gallopin - I seriously have no idea how he has ended up so high this far , could be the joker , but i do feel that his climbing ability isin't there yet.

Taaramäe -Was very impressive in stage 7 but lacklustre in both the mountain stage after that and the ITT. Perhaps isin't in his best shape to challenge TJVG for the white in the upcoming stages.

I do hope that Taaramäe does get it but i'm afraid that he won't get enough time on TJVG on the mountains..

I'm afraid our man just doesn't have enough form and he knows it. :( He looked very tired today and yesterday even on the podium when he managed to hang onto the white jersey. He didn't even smile..

Curse that crash on Vuelta Castilla!

Edit: Does this man look like he's just standing on the podium on TdF?
bettiniphoto_0115775_1_full_600.jpg