• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca out for two years

Why is Di Luca not out for life? He was caught up in the Oil For Drugs Scandal at the end of 05(?), and now this. I thought my maths was good but isn't it the second time your caught your gone for life?

Unless he was just implicated in Oil For Drugs and not charged? Didn't he voluntarily sit out Paris-Tours and Lombardia in protest? or something like that? I don't remember the details and i can't be fooked looking them up right now, so maybe later i'll check them out. Unless someone else wishes to fill me in......

This sport's sanctions are idiotic.

If they just suspended people for a couple of months for first infractions, increased testing on people who got caught, and increased suspension time to a year after a second infraction and life for a third, about 90% of the controversy and desire to fight these sanctions would disappear. As would a lot more of the doping.

The Killer :cool: was suspended for 3 months in the off-season of 2007-08. I can't remember what they found. Don't think it was anything solid. Though They had a phone conversation in which Santuccione advised him to inject EPO before Milan San-Remo 2004 (or 05, can't remember)

red_flanders said:
If they just suspended people for a couple of months for first infractions, increased testing on people who got caught

I'd say one second chance was enough. 2 years for first offence and life for a second offence should be implemented properly. Plus some time off for collaborating and giving names (though Ricco's 10 months off for giving 2 names was a joke)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm still reeeeeeeally ticked off he didn't get suspended for more than 3 months for those urine test results that quite obviously showed use of steroid masking agents.

I'm even more ticked off that the 5 other guys in the same situation were all cleared and didn't even get 3 months. In fact, only Piepoli was investigated. Mazzoleni and the other 3 unnamed guys weren't even investigated. bah.

oh well, at least we eventually caught this guy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Ricco only got 4 months off, that is why (assuming his team get an invite), his comeback race will be Milan San Remo.

red_flanders said:

If they just suspended people for a couple of months for first infractions, increased testing on people who got caught, and increased suspension time to a year after a second infraction and life for a third, about 90% of the controversy and desire to fight these sanctions would disappear. As would a lot more of the doping.

Guess what? Chief Pat Wiggum at the UCI doesn't care about your good suggestions.

craig1985 said:
I'm pretty sure Ricco only got 4 months off, that is why (assuming his team get an invite), his comeback race will be Milan San Remo.

Nah, Ricco was down for 24 months for CERA and got 6 taken off for collaboration, but then CONI added the 6 months back on for use of an illegal doctor. I swear he told them another name apart from Santuccione's.

http://www.cheatorbeat.com/riccardo-ricco-doping/cycling/1155

Last March, CAS reduced it again, so he can start racing again on March 17th..

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Guess what? Chief Pat Wiggum at the UCI doesn't care about your good suggestions.

Mebbe so. Still that money's going somewhere and will be a nice deterent. How do you think they'll collect the dough?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:

I'm not saying your ideas are bad or anything, but how is that a deterrent not to dope, and not end up with a situation like the NFL? I mean a big name getting done before the Classics, serves his ban and comes back in time to ride the Tour or the Vuelta. If two years is not working...

The forums seem to reserve a special kind of love for Italian racers.:rolleyes:
CONI had asked for 3 years for “aggravating circumstances.”
A + quarter of million fine will make his eyes water.
In anycase, 2 years should effectively end his competitiveness.
He'll be 35, come July 2011. Too old.

Until we know exactly how many others are up to the same tricks, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to issue lifers.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
The forums seem to reserve a special kind of love for Italian racers.:rolleyes:
CONI had asked for 3 years for “aggravating circumstances.”
A + quarter of million fine will make his eyes water.
In anycase, 2 years should effectively end his competitiveness.
He'll be 35, come July 2011. Too old.

Until we know exactly how many others are up to the same tricks, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to issue lifers.

If nothing else, when he comes back he will be a perfect fit for Team Radio Shack.

How long before someone sues the UCI about fines of 70% of income? Generally in law the punishment has to fit the crime. With a tax load of 50% of income, which is a low figure, a rider would have to save every after tax euro for 1.4 years to pay the fine. Save ~25% of pos tax income and it would take six years to save the amount of the fine. A large number of riders (perhaps most) would be incapable of paying yet the UCI will deny them the ability to make a living if they do not pay.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
How long before someone sues the UCI about fines of 70% of income? Generally in law the punishment has to fit the crime. With a tax load of 50% of income, which is a low figure, a rider would have to save every after tax euro for 1.4 years to pay the fine. Save ~25% of pos tax income and it would take six years to save the amount of the fine. A large number of riders (perhaps most) would be incapable of paying yet the UCI will deny them the ability to make a living if they do not pay.

I can see where your coming from alright, however I have no pity for these guys. They can think of the amount of money they earned during their careers with "assistance" & think of how many other riders who are now not earning a living as a result of that. Its going to be interesting if this 70% gets fully implemented & paid. Would that then actually make others seriously think about not doping for the future?

TRENDING THREADS