Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benotti69 said:
If Di Luca is talking it is not to become a hero it is to get back at the sport that he believes treated him badly.

He aint no hero. But he will regain some credibility for finally doing something good.
So this is all about Di Luca wanting the chance, to get back and win another Giro stage?:) Or you mean as DS, taking Vaughters place. Get his own team and start talking about clean generation version 2.0? That I would dig.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Samson777 said:
So this is all about Di Luca wanting the chance, to get back and win another Giro stage?:) Or you mean as DS, taking Vaughters place. Get his own team and start talking about clean generation version 2.0? That I would dig.
No Di Luca is not going to get back in the sport (DS or other) he is getting his revenge by telling all he knows.

He got a life ban for doing what everyone else does. He got targeted because he was the riders spokesman for the cancellation of a stage in the Giro in Milan and since then he was a ticking time bomb. Di Luca should have known better to cross RCS, the Milanese hierarchy and embarrass them.
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
0
0
Benotti69 said:
No Di Luca is not going to get back in the sport (DS or other) he is getting his revenge by telling all he knows.

He got a life ban for doing what everyone else does. He got targeted because he was the riders spokesman for the cancellation of a stage in the Giro in Milan and since then he was a ticking time bomb. Di Luca should have known better to cross RCS. the Milanese hierarchy and embarrass them.
Di Luca should get together with JTL and write a tell-all book.

"doping in the new generation"
 
thehog said:
Di Luca’s statements are interesting.

As Floyd’s and Tyler’s omissions were a snapshot from the 1999-2004 period Di Luca appears to be giving an insight into what it is today in 2014.

Di Luca has the ability of comparison; between “old cycling” and “new clean era” cycling. He rode during both eras.

His point that doping is no longer talked about in the peloton rings true with the perception of the “new clean era”. Sky and others have leant well from the USPS saga that by openly talking about doping only leaves bread crumbs of evidence.

The second point of interest he made was that doping appears to have shifted to training alone. The risk of doping and racing is now too great. What I believe he meant was exporting the doping products to races is the risk rather than actually testing positive. This shift fits in with the new way of training at Tenerife and racing at sequenced intervals. Also a point to Kerrison’s concept with the Classics team last year of skipping Paris-Nice etc. in preference for a training camp.

The third point in relation to the “90% claim”; what Di Luca said was “Secondo me il 90%” which really means “in my opinion” or “at a guess I would say” – second hand information rather than “I know as fact
“.

What I take from all this fits in with the Sky model. Training camps in far-away places, sequenced tests at races prior to the main objective of the year (TDF etc.), zero tolerance on talking about doping practices, no doping at races or exportation of doping products to races and the non-release of performance data.

Leading on from this point is Walsh (as well as others) are looking for the “USPS model” at Sky. That he won’t find. Doping has shifted and whilst Walsh is looking for “an Emma O'Reilly” or “transfusion kits in the team buses” or “motorman” etc. Sky (and others) have implemented a newer form of doping which limits the risks of detection and being caught at borders etc.

What he’s missing is that doping is defined itself into something new. Something more closely aligned with legal medical products and presented under the guise of performance management and marginal gains.

Di Luca words shouldn’t be dismissed so freely.
the sceptic said:
Occasionally I write meaningful posts! :)

My assessment appears fairly much on the mark. Armstrong's comment today on Twitter summed it up nicely.

I think perhaps we were all a little too eager to announce that "clean" cycling had arrived. It morphed into a marketing statement rather than an actual effort to clean up cycling.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
thehog said:
Occasionally I write meaningful posts! :)

My assessment appears fairly much on the mark. Armstrong's comment today on Twitter summed it up nicely.

I think perhaps we were all a little too eager to announce that "clean" cycling had arrived. It morphed into a marketing statement rather than an actual effort to clean up cycling.
Happened after festina, happened after Puerto.
In Dutch we say "even a donkey doesn't kick the same stone twice".
Should make some think.
 
They don't call him Il Killer for nothing... So maniacal he's willing to talk if it can bring the average performance level down whilst going EPO-mad to try and win. Didn't quite work but can't fault the commitment.
 
his comeback was suicidal nonetheless. both uci and lance found out that he talked with the police at one point. see lance's reaction at his positive test at giro 2013.
probably the first rider caught even with microdosing of epo. they made a special sensible test for the great abruzzese killer. plus always mentioning that he the cycling he found after his comeback was more muscular and stronger than when he left didn't help either
 
Mar 11, 2009
1,005
0
0
It seems as if DiLuca is to cycling what Jose Canseco was to baseball (excepting that at the time 'roids in baseball were not spoken of and dope and cycling already was).
 
jens_attacks said:
his comeback was suicidal nonetheless. both uci and lance found out that he talked with the police at one point. see lance's reaction at his positive test at giro 2013.
probably the first rider caught even with microdosing of epo. they made a special sensible test for the great abruzzese killer. plus always mentioning that he the cycling he found after his comeback was more muscular and stronger than when he left didn't help either
Di Luca actually back with Katusha on a zero salary, bonus only contract. He was positively normal. Once Sky speed up the peloton I think he went back to the old days knowing he wasn't even going to finish in the main group.
 
Re:

luckyboy said:

This caught my eye;

"I was reserved the honour of being the first to be caught that way. Now the word will go around and the others will change the way they do things. People have said that if I'd had the right doctor then I would not have been caught, that if I'd had the right team, that I would have been protected."

"I've no regrets at all. I lied. I cheated; I did what had to do to finish first. But that's not the point, the point is that I didn't dilute my system in time…"
 
Mar 11, 2009
1,005
0
0
Re: Re:

zigmeister said:
luckyboy said:

What will be interesting if somebody buys the book, copies and post it to the internet what his attitude would be?

It's just stealing/cheating? No regrets right?
Now that's funny.

I noted he said he decided to dope when a guy who he used to beat as an amateur beat him in 2001. I wonder how often, if at all, something like this is the final straw. In baseball the story goes Barry Bonds was beyond PO'd at the adulation Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire were getting.
 
Re: Re:

thehog said:
luckyboy said:

This caught my eye;

"I was reserved the honour of being the first to be caught that way. Now the word will go around and the others will change the way they do things. People have said that if I'd had the right doctor then I would not have been caught, that if I'd had the right team, that I would have been protected."

"I've no regrets at all. I lied. I cheated; I did what had to do to finish first. But that's not the point, the point is that I didn't dilute my system in time…"
And just as always anything he says will be ignored because he cheated..
 
Oct 21, 2015
341
0
0
Re: Re:

luckyboy said:
thehog said:
luckyboy said:

This caught my eye;

"I was reserved the honour of being the first to be caught that way. Now the word will go around and the others will change the way they do things. People have said that if I'd had the right doctor then I would not have been caught, that if I'd had the right team, that I would have been protected."

"I've no regrets at all. I lied. I cheated; I did what had to do to finish first. But that's not the point, the point is that I didn't dilute my system in time…"
And just as always anything he says will be ignored because he cheated..
Funny. I once asked Floyd about some specific riders who were obviously doping but looked like they would retire with a clean record. I asked how they managed to never be caught. With no hesitation he replied they were being protected. It is not just The Clinic; the riders themselves believe others are getting protection.
 
Re: Re:

DamianoMachiavelli said:
luckyboy said:
thehog said:
luckyboy said:

This caught my eye;

"I was reserved the honour of being the first to be caught that way. Now the word will go around and the others will change the way they do things. People have said that if I'd had the right doctor then I would not have been caught, that if I'd had the right team, that I would have been protected."

"I've no regrets at all. I lied. I cheated; I did what had to do to finish first. But that's not the point, the point is that I didn't dilute my system in time…"
And just as always anything he says will be ignored because he cheated..
Funny. I once asked Floyd about some specific riders who were obviously doping but looked like they would retire with a clean record. I asked how they managed to never be caught. With no hesitation he replied they were being protected. It is not just The Clinic; the riders themselves believe others are getting protection.
Agreed, you can see a lot of teams must look at Froom (Sky) and think the same. Being protected can also be as simple as not test at key points and advance warnings.

No surprises.
 
Telling it like it is, only after he got caught multiple times. Same story, different angle to sell his book. He ain't gonna sell *** writing 'Racing through the dark'. Get real people, he has a book to sell and his ghost writer knows it lol!
 
Oct 21, 2015
341
0
0
Re: Re:

thehog said:
DamianoMachiavelli said:
Funny. I once asked Floyd about some specific riders who were obviously doping but looked like they would retire with a clean record. I asked how they managed to never be caught. With no hesitation he replied they were being protected. It is not just The Clinic; the riders themselves believe others are getting protection.
Agreed, you can see a lot of teams must look at Froom (Sky) and think the same. Being protected can also be as simple as not test at key points and advance warnings.

No surprises.
True. A certain team manager--I'll call him VJ to hide his identity--has said in private he knows Sky is doping but cannot do anything about it so he is only interested in watching over his own team.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY