• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GazelleFormula said:
Hahaha, doping is okay....but getting caught is ****ing stupid apparently:D
Well, it is. Getting caught once can be a matter of sheer luck - as Hamilton put it, after so many tests the laws of probability are against you. But getting caught three times? That's downright stupid.

I wish LA would ditch this repentant do-gooder persona (which is fake as hell) and be more like Riccò. Embrace the farce fully. Make a joke about Di Luca having a lot to learn... about glowtime. That sort of thing.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can someone ask Lance what is so stupid about being a lifer?

I would ask the psychotic death star of all things hypocrite but I'm blocked. :)

Summary:
Getting popped for blatant cheating. Stupid.

Getting popped for blatant cheating after surviving cancer possibly caused by drugs taken during initial phase of blatant cheating. Not stupid at all.

Inquitus said:
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14639/UCI-confirms-Danilo-Di-Luca-EPO-positive.aspx

Seems he got done because it went to Koln where they have the ability to detect much lower concentrations in the sample than an Italian lab would have done. Similar to the contador case, except noone gives EPO to cows, so harder to deny!!

Koln lab can detect very low concentrations of clenbuterol, I'm not aware that they use a more sensitive EPO test, though one was announced recently. I haven't heard anything about that test's being used, but haven't been following this that closely.

The smarter riders with more resources just transfuse and probably get more of a benefit than DiLuca got with presumably small doses of EPO. Though it's possible DD did transfuse, and used EPO to counteract the suppression of retics. It would be nice if he would confess and tell us exactly what he did do, but I'm not holding my breath.

The time sequence is interesting. Am I correct that he was tested shortly after he signed with VF, and was told he was going to the Giro? I assume he wouldn't have taken EPO if he had no upcoming races on his schedule? But it sounds as though he must have taken it virtually immediately after he signed? Maybe he knew several days in advance he was going to be signed, and took EPO then, assuming there was a good chance he was going to the Giro?

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

haha
ha
hahaha:D

The only thing funnier than this would be him having to hand back his 07 winners jersey as well. That would have the added joy of seeing Abandony getting another second hand jersey to add to his toy box to play dress-ups with:D

More sociopath than 'cretino' though, if I have my armchair psychology right.

DiLuca was the luckiest & most envious rider in the peloton: no matter how many times he got popped, no matter how much dirt they found on him- the MoFo always was able to find teams & sign contracts...:eek::D

It kind of crossed my mind how good he was performing, despite his age & lack of competition --Ironically, The other day on RAI when he was interviewed- he was asked about "la bouna forma".....:p:D

Enough is Enough.. ciao DDL

Jancouver said:
Why the heck it takes almost 4 weeks to announce the EPO positive? The test results should be out within 48h!

But again, UCI and the tour organizers doesnt want any negative press before the start of the race so they hide it until the race is decided/over.

I feel sorry for the (probably young) rider who lost his Giro spot to this a-hole.

Remember that's the date the sample was taken, not analysed. The testing agency then have to get them out to the labs who would fit in into their timetable. Less than a months turn around actually seems pretty reasonable.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Not sure this is the right thread for my opinion but pro road cycling is a side/freak show until a new governing body takes over and brings back credibility to the sport

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 1m

Knowing I have 0 cred on the doping issue - I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that ****ing stupid??"
Lance has all the credibility in the world on doping. He knows how easy it is to dope and not get popped. Di Luca is that ****ing stupid... either that or really, really unlucky.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 1m

Knowing I have 0 cred on the doping issue - I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that "

Really Armstrong? Are you that ****ing stupid??
Well...today with all the bad news at least he's giving us something to laugh at. :D

Merckx index said:
Koln lab can detect very low concentrations of clenbuterol, I'm not aware that they use a more sensitive EPO test, though one was announced recently. I haven't heard anything about that test's being used, but haven't been following this that closely.

The mentioned article actually does not mention anything about more sensitive EPO test. They're talking about the sensitive clenbuterol test of AC, but it is so "well" placed in the article that one could mistakenly understand they're talking about Di Luca's EPO test.

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Tweeted by Ricco earlier! Chemical Brothers springs to mind :p

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
TomasC said:
The mentioned article actually does not mention anything about more sensitive EPO test. They're talking about the sensitive clenbuterol test of AC, but it is so "well" placed in the article that one could mistakenly understand they're talking about Di Luca's EPO test.
Correct.

So, UCI didnt trust the Rome lab?

Smells like a liquidation of dear old Danilo :(

;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Baltazar said:
Everybody knew Di Luca was doping. I don't think you could find anyone here that would argue that he was racing clean. People cheered him on because he provided entertainment, not because they thought he was clean...

Yah...I agree.

TRENDING THREADS