• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Did Armstrong arrange for Floyd to test positive?

Apr 20, 2009
56
0
0
Visit site
The longer this goes on, the more I fear corruption and collusion among the UCI and drug testing agencies. It now seems feasible to me that Armstrong didn't like that Floyd was stealing the limelight. With Floyd's hip story, book deal, and leaving Disco I can see Armstrong would be jealous.

We have no evidence - just that ex Disco riders seem to test positive once they leave the team. Was Armstrong paying them off to know when the tests would come while they were on the team, or did he pay them off to make sure they went positive after they left?

All speculation - at this point Im so jaded as to think almost anything is possible.
 
Jun 9, 2009
403
0
0
Visit site
The fact that many Discovery and US Postal riders tested positive after they left the team does raise speculation.

As a doctor and physiologist, it appears to me that two likely explanations for this are as follows:

Either the doping program at Disco (if it did in fact exist) was run so well by the physicians and staff that they were able to beat the controls via superior science and structure of the doping.

or

Riders who left Disco were so desirous of some fame of their own that they began doping after they left the team and thus got caught.

The fact that many riders who left Disco have not been caught (i.e. Hincapie, Danielson, Van de Velde, Armstrong, Popovich) leads me to believe the latter scenario is more likely.
 
Mar 10, 2009
221
0
0
Visit site
drfunk000 said:
The longer this goes on, the more I fear corruption and collusion among the UCI and drug testing agencies. It now seems feasible to me that Armstrong didn't like that Floyd was stealing the limelight. With Floyd's hip story, book deal, and leaving Disco I can see Armstrong would be jealous.

We have no evidence - just that ex Disco riders seem to test positive once they leave the team. Was Armstrong paying them off to know when the tests would come while they were on the team, or did he pay them off to make sure they went positive after they left?

All speculation - at this point Im so jaded as to think almost anything is possible.

I think Armstrong may be behind the famine in Sub-Sahara Africa too.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Whether or not he did, he has done PLENTY of other things that deserve our contempt. No speculation is needed if you are looking for things to prove he is a Narcissistic pr!ck focused solely on what is good for him to the detriment of anyone who may not fall in line with that.
 
Mar 19, 2009
832
0
0
Visit site
Lance did give Floyd his soigneur.

Floyd's performance on that stage screamed doping to the max. He's lucky they didn't check his hematocrit before it.
 
Apr 19, 2009
278
0
0
Visit site
Contempt? I work in the cycling industry. We have sold more bikes thanks to Lance Armstrong than we would ever have sold if he did not bring throngs of people to the sport. My mom also died of Cancer and she spent her last days trying to LIVESTRONG. She could not get enough of LA prior to her death.
Narcissistic? I talk smack just for winning the intermediate sprints with the locals on Saturdays as does anyone else who puts the wood down. If I was a world champion, 7 time TDF winner...my ego would be huge....but you have done so much for others as to merit some sort of contempt for this person? Sounds more like you are venting at your own shortcomings.........get over it!
 
Jun 18, 2009
50
0
0
Visit site
seriously though id like to see the affect that doping could have on a rider, not just short term but long terms

what i mean is have a guy you know is clean, enter him in a race or time him up a climb, then fill him with all the **** money can buy, WITHOUT TESTING POSITIVE, and send him up again and see what the difference is, it would certainly be interesting

be honest though if someone is stupid enough to dope so much they can climb alpe du huez in half an hour i wanna see it! maybe we should have a seperate tour for the dopers, it would be fun :D
 
Jun 18, 2009
50
0
0
Visit site
cyclestationgiuseppe said:
Contempt? I work in the cycling industry. We have sold more bikes thanks to Lance Armstrong than we would ever have sold if he did not bring throngs of people to the sport. My mom also died of Cancer and she spent her last days trying to LIVESTRONG. She could not get enough of LA prior to her death.
Narcissistic? I talk smack just for winning the intermediate sprints with the locals on Saturdays as does anyone else who puts the wood down. If I was a world champion, 7 time TDF winner...my ego would be huge....but you have done so much for others as to merit some sort of contempt for this person? Sounds more like you are venting at your own shortcomings.........get over it!

sorry to hear about your mom :(

but come one that was a bit unecessary man
 
May 14, 2009
7
0
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Whether or not he did, he has done PLENTY of other things that deserve our contempt. No speculation is needed if you are looking for things to prove he is a Narcissistic pr!ck focused solely on what is good for him to the detriment of anyone who may not fall in line with that.

i challenge your drivel here, I have no contemp for Armstrong. I actually like Armstrong. I like most all pro cyclists. Cycling is no different than life, just some aspects are more scrutinized by society but the same trysts exist in our everyday lives. We have all done things that later we feel may have been unfair to others or were driven out of a desire to win or gain control over something.

How many cyclists who rode with him went on to be team leaders that would have never gotten the chance if not shone will leading LA up a mountain or protecting him in the wind. The list is long, not only did USPS and Disco identify talent and provide opportunity, but developed them and put them on the world stage. Cycling as we know it in America would be vastly less now, if not for LA.
 
bcounsell said:
i challenge your drivel here, I have no contemp for Armstrong. I actually like Armstrong. I like most all pro cyclists. Cycling is no different than life, just some aspects are more scrutinized by society but the same trysts exist in our everyday lives. We have all done things that later we feel may have been unfair to others or were driven out of a desire to win or gain control over something.

How many cyclists who rode with him went on to be team leaders that would have never gotten the chance if not shone will leading LA up a mountain or protecting him in the wind. The list is long, not only did USPS and Disco identify talent and provide opportunity, but developed them and put them on the world stage. Cycling as we know it in America would be vastly less now, if not for LA.

Indeed, and later tested positive
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Lance did give Floyd his soigneur.

Floyd's performance on that stage screamed doping to the max. He's lucky they didn't check his hematocrit before it.

Floyd's handlers likely blood doped with his own blood; but didn't check if it was clean. There isn't much you can take that provides that immediate response, is there?
 
It is one of those coincidences that pop up around the UCI.

The ASO is leading a feud against the UCI with talk of even leaving the UCI, and FLandis tests positive. The following year the UCI forgets to tell the ASO that Rasmussen has missed a ton of OCC tests, leading the ejection of the rider who would have won in 2007. The next year the ASO is so mistrustful of the UCI that they put the doping controls totally in control of the AFLD. How likely is it that just the Rasmussen incident is what caused the ASO to get rid of the UCI?
 
David Suro said:
The fact that many Discovery and US Postal riders tested positive after they left the team does raise speculation.

As a doctor and physiologist, it appears to me that two likely explanations for this are as follows:

Either the doping program at Disco (if it did in fact exist) was run so well by the physicians and staff that they were able to beat the controls via superior science and structure of the doping.

or

Riders who left Disco were so desirous of some fame of their own that they began doping after they left the team and thus got caught.

The fact that many riders who left Disco have not been caught (i.e. Hincapie, Danielson, Van de Velde, Armstrong, Popovich) leads me to believe the latter scenario is more likely.

Despite most of the guys who got popped were not performing better than they were at Disco?

You miss the obvious alternate scenario:

They rode for teams who didn't pay off the UCI or the labs.

I'm sure there are more--it's certainly not limited to 2.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,735
0
0
Visit site
The most obvious doped ride of all time...

Sorry, but that ride was just so doped I am amazed he didnt get busted before the finish. Utterly ridiculous.

I can see Lance for what he is, but some people are just desperate and/or dumb.
 
David Suro said:
The fact that many Discovery and US Postal riders tested positive after they left the team does raise speculation.

As a doctor and physiologist, it appears to me that two likely explanations for this are as follows:

Either the doping program at Disco (if it did in fact exist) was run so well by the physicians and staff that they were able to beat the controls via superior science and structure of the doping.

or

Riders who left Disco were so desirous of some fame of their own that they began doping after they left the team and thus got caught.

The fact that many riders who left Disco have not been caught (i.e. Hincapie, Danielson, Van de Velde, Armstrong, Popovich) leads me to believe the latter scenario is more likely.

Are you kidding me??? Armstrong was caught. He tested positive for EPO six times. Both Vande Velde and Danielson have, without saying it explicitly, made it pretty clear what was going on at the teams the raced for previously. Popovich could barely climb a speed bump when he left The Hog. Hincapie had quite the transformation while riding with Postal/Disco. Vaughters has gone much further than Vande Velde and Danielson, especially when his chat session with Andreu is taken into acount. Beltran, who tested positive for CERA last year, tested positive for EPO in the same retrospective testing of the 1999 urine samples that proved Armstrong is a doper; so you would have us believe that he was testing before Postal, after Postal, but not at Postal?

Then you have to explain why in 2006 the whole Disco squad at the Tour became a joke. That is not normal. A few riders can show up with bad form, but when the whole team is a very pale shadow of what it was the year before then you know something fishy is going on.
 
Jul 19, 2009
122
0
0
Visit site
drfunk000 said:
The longer this goes on, the more I fear corruption and collusion among the UCI and drug testing agencies. It now seems feasible to me that Armstrong didn't like that Floyd was stealing the limelight. With Floyd's hip story, book deal, and leaving Disco I can see Armstrong would be jealous.

We have no evidence - just that ex Disco riders seem to test positive once they leave the team. Was Armstrong paying them off to know when the tests would come while they were on the team, or did he pay them off to make sure they went positive after they left?

All speculation - at this point Im so jaded as to think almost anything is possible.

No, but Armstrong did scuttle the Health Reform Bill.

He also is the source of global warming. All the watts he produces --> HEAT!!!
 
Jul 6, 2009
795
0
0
Visit site
this is just sad i neither love nor hate armstrong hes a **** thats known he also does great things for the cancer fight and cycling in general. but there are some sorry bitter individuals on here. as far as the original thread topic just plain stupid and another thing landis armstrong contador ulrich etc.. doped or not are great athletes drugs dont ride the bike for you. it seems some want to believe that its all drugs no sorry they would drop you anyways your just lesser athletes get over it. if you really hate la so much then why give him your energy through constant posts about him. and then when some fan starts a new la thread the people who hate him so much jump on to talk about him more really sad. go ride your bike or get another hobby some on these forums make all cyclists look like idiots its embarrassing.:mad:
 
forty four said:
this is just sad i neither love nor hate armstrong hes a **** thats known he also does great things for the cancer fight and cycling in general. but there are some sorry bitter individuals on here. as far as the original thread topic just plain stupid and another thing landis armstrong contador ulrich etc.. doped or not are great athletes drugs dont ride the bike for you. it seems some want to believe that its all drugs no sorry they would drop you anyways your just lesser athletes get over it. if you really hate la so much then why give him your energy through constant posts about him. and then when some fan starts a new la thread the people who hate him so much jump on to talk about him more really sad. go ride your bike or get another hobby some on these forums make all cyclists look like idiots its embarrassing.:mad:

Learn how to write.