• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did They Test at Leadville last year? Ever?

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Well for one, the guys near the front at Leadville are pros ( maybe not all top tier pros mind you, but Weins, etc are not amateurs) and two, no, Leadville is not a sanctioned race thus does not does not do drug testing although I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few people tested positive.

For cannabis.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's obvious what your point was. Really though, there are several "I hate Lance Armstrong" threads for you to join in on in the road bike forums. It would be nice to keep the MTB forum, poorly subscribed to as it is, about, well, mountian biking.

9000ft said:
Well for one, the guys near the front at Leadville are pros ( maybe not all top tier pros mind you, but Weins, etc are not amateurs) and two, no, Leadville is not a sanctioned race thus does not does not do drug testing although I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few people tested positive.

Wiens??? LOL. WIens is like forty-five years old. He retired from pro racing in 2004. Doesn't he have a full time job these days?

Leadville is a race for weekend warriors. After blood doping during the TdF, it is damned pathetic to beat up a bunch of recreational riders.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Wiens??? LOL. WIens is like forty-five years old. He retired from pro racing in 2004. Doesn't he have a full time job these days?

Leadville is a race for weekend warriors. After blood doping during the TdF, it is damned pathetic to beat up a bunch of recreational riders.

LOL. Well, I'll look for you at the sharp end of the podium Bro, since Dave Weins is just a 45 year old weekend warrior amateur. ( Maybe you can try to kick his wife's *** since she's just an amateur, but I'd put my money on her.....)

I won't say for a second the Leadville attracts the cream of the MTB Ultra endurance field - for a variety of reasons it never has - or that what pro field there is is particularly deep, but the top guys are not what I'd call amateurs. They are sponsored riders who race full time even if they have to have some sort of an off season job to make ends meet, that' just the reality of racing in the US these days, both MTB and road.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:

For cannabis.
WUUUUU--HOOOOOOOOO!:eek::D:rolleyes:;)

9000ft said:
LOL. Well, I'll look for you at the sharp end of the podium Bro, since Dave Weins is just a 45 year old weekend warrior amateur. ( Maybe you can try to kick his wife's *** since she's just an amateur, but I'd put my money on her.....)

I won't say for a second the Leadville attracts the cream of the MTB Ultra endurance field - for a variety of reasons it never has - or that what pro field there is is particularly deep, but the top guys are not what I'd call amateurs. They are sponsored riders who race full time even if they have to have some sort of an off season job to make ends meet, that' just the reality of racing in the US these days, both MTB and road.

If by "sponsored riders who race full time" you mean folks who train 8-12 hours per week and get 20% off wholesale on their gear like most Expert MTB racers then yeah, you'd be right.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
If by "sponsored riders who race full time" you mean folks who train 8-12 hours per week and get 20% off wholesale on their gear like most Expert MTB racers then yeah, you'd be right.

HA! Some truth there most likely, but sadly, you're describing a lot of MTB as well as road pros in the US these days. Not too many people make much of a living bike racing right now. There are a lot of people who juggle racing and training full time with the need to generate some form of extra income or school etc.

I'll still guess that Weins or his wife Susan would drop Bro or almost anyone on this forum like a sack of potatos though. ;)

9000ft said:
HA! Some truth there most likely, but sadly, you're describing a lot of MTB as well as road pros in the US these days. Not too many people make much of a living bike racing right now. There are a lot of people who juggle racing and training full time with the need to generate some form of extra income or school etc.

I'll still guess that Weins or his wife Susan would drop Bro or almost anyone on this forum like a sack of potatos though. ;)

Once again 90ft misses the point. Armstrong had just finished racing the TdF as a pro road racer. His blood values from last year show that he was blood boosting. He then went and beat up on a bunch of amateurs who are racing for belt buckles. Wiens in a beast, but he is still a long retired pro in his mid forties. Yet Armstrong's homers, like you, play up this win as thought it is some kind of great victory. It was like Barry "Steroid" Bonds beating up little leaguers

Comeback 2011

BANNED
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Even if he blood boosted at last year's race - though there is no conclusive evidence - returning your blood values to where they were at the beginning of the tour is not going to help him at Leadville a month later. It's got absolutely nothing to do with it.

It was a great win. He says he is doing it again this year. The question is - will he break six hours?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Comeback 2011 said:
Even if he blood boosted at last year's race - though there is no conclusive evidence - returning your blood values to where they were at the beginning of the tour is not going to help him at Leadville a month later. It's got absolutely nothing to do with it.

It was a great win. He says he is doing it again this year. The question is - will he break six hours?

Very true, the whole concept of cheating is trying to get the body to recover in a long ridiculous race like the TDF. In Leadville as long as you train and keep your body fresh right before the race, you can let it all out in one day, and not have to worry about recovering for the next day.

Contador would definitely lose a race like the Leadville 100.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
Very true, the whole concept of cheating is trying to get the body to recover in a long ridiculous race like the TDF. In Leadville as long as you train and keep your body fresh right before the race, you can let it all out in one day, and not have to worry about recovering for the next day.

Contador would definitely lose a race like the Leadville 100.

you are correct in some respects. I assume you are not discounting that recovery plays a big part in training as well

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Once again 90ft misses the point. Armstrong had just finished racing the TdF as a pro road racer. His blood values from last year show that he was blood boosting. He then went and beat up on a bunch of amateurs who are racing for belt buckles. Wiens in a beast, but he is still a long retired pro in his mid forties. Yet Armstrong's homers, like you, play up this win as thought it is some kind of great victory. It was like Barry "Steroid" Bonds beating up little leaguers

LOL!

Oh I get the point Bro. The point is you have a deep and uncompromising hatred of LA and anyone who doesn't share your feeling is a chamois sniffing, drooling, fanboy. That's pretty much always your point.

The thing is, for all you talk about how horrible it is that LA has raced something like Leadville and "beat up on all the amateurs" the amateurs themselves - including those amateurish "pros" don't seem to have an issue with it.

TRENDING THREADS