• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Vino pay for this victory?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Did Uran receive some money?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
He will be at Astana for a long time, maybe his mother, sister, father, brother, brother in law, neighbour, hell, even his dog will be in Astana tenue.

Think big.

Edit:
Vino is still a hero

" Did Uran receive some money?"

From the Colombian Olympic committee? From equipment manufacturers? From companies for whom he does promotions? Almost certainly.

From Vinokourov: no way.

Apart from anything else, Vino is on record as saying that he considers all medals, gold, silver or bronze, to be of equal value: " we knew we were all going to get a medal. It didn't matter which." (AV, 2000)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If you take the premise that most pros ride their bikes for money, then why not?

He is young enough not to realise that in 30 years he will regret it. Gold medals dont necessarily make you lots of money in Colombia.

As for being killed, i doubt it.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Uran may have realized he was in line for a medal but was checking to see how far back the group was. I have not seen an overhead shot of the finish yet.

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
l.Harm said:
I'm totally serious. Uran is looking at the left for three seconds, doesn't see anybody, where would Vino be :eek:

Was not three seconds.

He was knackered and sorry but Colombians to Vino's relief cannot sprint theyway the can dance up a mountain road dishing out the pain. Uran had Silver guaranteed. In shock aswell that he found himself in that position. He is seconds from becoming a legend in his country since Herrera, Parra and Co. If Vino did not reach his rear, the Colombian had the gold because the cat and mouse game was starting to really creep in at that stage.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Of course he got money. That's normal. #1 pays #2.

What's the contention here? This happens in every pro race when two are sprinting for the win. It's one of the unwritten rules of the peleton.

It ensures both racers ride to their fullest.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Uran has a fairly good sprint. (for a climber) Normally it would have been a close finish, but keeping up with Vino cost Uran too much energy to contest for gold.

The final 5k were too intense imo, to even consider a deal, and in an olympic race you don't hesitate when you're guaranteed a medal.

Franklin said:
Of course he got money. That's normal. #1 pays #2.

What's the contention here? This happens in every pro race when two are sprinting for the win. It's one of the unwritten rules of the peleton.

It ensures both racers ride to their fullest.

Yes, money may be paid to ensure cooperation.

Money paid so that the other guy cooperated and didn't try his hardest at the finish would be slightly rarer, IMHO.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Yes, money may be paid to ensure cooperation.

Money paid so that the other guy cooperated and didn't try his hardest at the finish would be slightly rarer, IMHO.

Hence the question in this poll is the wrong one ;)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I don't see where this is trolling. Bike races have historically been bought and paid for, and there was a lot of discussion at the end of the race, and a very odd maneuver by Uran at the end.

Not saying it was paid for, but the question is legit.

Right! That's rich. So when I call someone out for trolling I get a ban and when another does it's cool and kosher. Why doesn't this surprise me around here?

Vino buying a win? Seriously? At the Olympics! Bahahaha. Not a chance. Uran was an idiot, thats what. Sky choked the whole race. Couldn't even get a sprint right, in a massive street that was dead straight. People should be asking whether people actually gave a toss. Horrible course, horrible camera work and a lack of enthusiasm from many teams.

Vino buying the win! Yeah, he'd have to have paid the entire front group. Spain had 3 men and didn't chase. How many did the Belgians have? Norway? Had Cancellara not fallen, the finale would arguably have had him making a move. Boring course, boring race, designed by boring Brits to give a boring British team a win and they choked. Serves them right. Everyone didn't want them to win. Vino and Uran did the right thing at the right time from the right position. Following group only had to chase. They didn't. Uran only had to watch Vino, he didn't.

A more appropriate thread could entail the favourite recreational drug of Columbia and whether Uran was thinking about it at the time. Dumbest loss I've seen in a long time and the funniest. Thanks Uran. Oh and thank you Great Britain for the laughs. Heck it's not like Eisel was driving for the GB team was it?

Thank God the women will actually race. Will be interesting. Men? A lot don't care. Medals? You don't buy an Olympic Gold. Not at that pace. They can't speak FFS. If Uran was hoping Vino would pay him off...yeah, not likely. That pace, you can't talk and pedal simultaneously. Use your brain next time.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Use your brain next time.
I must say I like your postings but in this case I disagree. This was a deal, all over it. Rigoberto and family never have to work again in their lives. The Olympics aren't that important in some countries, and indeed, it shouldn't.

Nice buy Vino. And deserved.

Vino for president sounds great ;)

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You can look at it from two perspectives. On the one hand you might argue that a gold medal is far more valuable than anything but it's tradition races are bought. Honestly, it looks very dodgy and it seems like Uran is purposefully looking away. That might raise the question why a rider can be this stupid when such a big price can be won. But nothing can be proved....

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Show me the money ? Then show me the receipt :D

Funny thread this. Really is. All good fun.

Looking to your left analysis. This is getting like the Grassy Knoll in Dallas hunger for information. There are alot of key board warriors out there and I notice the style changes with my grateful replys on this thread. Its good to see.

Vino won it fair and square. People appear to want to knock the great rider who they clealry don't know nor respect which is a total disgrace on a great forum like this. However I heard a rumour at the start of last week that Uran will be a fellow team mate of Vino's next season !! Watch this space ;)