• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

dirtiest cheater in cycling history?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Spawn of e said:
:D

Ok who are the fourteen clowns that voted for GL right after he's put back on?

Was it the tri-bars or the iron shots that did it for you?

...that mob is really getting out of control....for the love of gawd someone do something about this...this really is not funny....

Cheers

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
blutto said:
....if you had raced in that era you may change your mind on that one...not to say that EPO was not a game-changer....

Cheers

Yeah, it's pretty funny the sport is littered with dopers before GL. Didn't they get the memo that they didn't need PEDs before EPO? I wait on the edge of my seat for Tonton to produce his 'obvious' proof, further adding ridicule to those stupid cyclists before GL that took all of these unnecessary chances. Once he does that hopefully the mods will delete GL from the poll in clear conscience. :rolleyes:

Some of us think that PED use is a cumulative affect over the years. We know EPO is not used by itself, it is part of a cocktail of many things that came before it. If EPO had come out before roids for example, would then roids be the game-changer?

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

blutto said:
Spawn of e said:
:D

Ok who are the fourteen clowns that voted for GL right after he's put back on?

Was it the tri-bars or the iron shots that did it for you?

...that mob is really getting out of control....for the love of gawd someone do something about this...this really is not funny....

Cheers

How did you vote 12 times? I tried to freep the poll but it wouldn't let me. :cool:

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Spawn of e said:
blutto said:
....if you had raced in that era you may change your mind on that one...not to say that EPO was not a game-changer....

Cheers

Yeah, it's pretty funny the sport is littered with dopers before GL. Didn't they get the memo that they didn't need PEDs before EPO? I wait on the edge of my seat for Tonton to produce his 'obvious' proof, further adding ridicule to those stupid cyclists before GL that took all of these unnecessary chances. Once he does that hopefully the mods will delete GL from the poll in clear conscience. :rolleyes:

Some of us think that PED use is a cumulative affect over the years. We know EPO is not used by itself, it is part of a cocktail of many things that came before it. If EPO had come out before roids for example, would then roids be the game-changer?

....a great point that is usually overlooked when discussing the evolution of PED "warfare"...

Cheers

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
blutto said:
Spawn of e said:
blutto said:

Cheers

....a great point that is usually overlooked when discussing the evolution of PED "warfare"...

Cheers
yes it's a good point.

Correct me if wrong, but I think HGH made inroads into cycling roughly simultaneously with EPO, or maybe shortly after.

I remember reading somewhere that the real game changer in the early 90s was the combination of EPO + HGH.

To imagine that not before last year some sort of half-viable HGH test was introduced.

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
blutto said:
Spawn of e said:
blutto said:

Cheers

Cheers

When did they start doing OOC testing? I've googled and can't find it.

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
djpbaltimore said:
I voted Lance to put him back in front. It is the pervasiveness of his efforts that stand out.
Still trying to figure out how Spawn of e and blutto voted more than once. :D

I think it is just a misunderstanding. I remember the picture of GL after PR one year covered with mud. Maybe the dodgy use of tribars and that image is confusing people about dirty cheaters.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Tonton, hate to break it to you, but even Mottet can't prove a negative.
This whole "Mottet-Delion won clean, therefore in the 80s it was possible to win clean" argument is highly circular.

Also, there is no real consensus on what "pre-EPO" actually means.
In my book, pre-EPO would be pre-1986, maybe pre-87. In yours, let me guess, pre-1991?

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
This whole "Mottet-Delion won clean, therefore in the 80s it was possible to win clean" argument is highly circular.

In my book, pre-EPO would be pre-1986, maybe pre-87. In yours, let me guess, pre-1991?

Pre 1991 would whack Hampsten for winning death marches thru the Alps. Be careful sniper, AH and GL fanboys are one in the same.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
djpbaltimore said:
I voted Lance to put him back in front. It is the pervasiveness of his efforts that stand out.

....that is just foolish conspiracy talk that will be passed on to the proper authorities and some blood thirsty lawyers that I have just retained ( and repent now because if you don't may gawd have mercy on your soul, err, wallet, because these guys are monsters )...

...you should open you eyes and see this for what it really is, an upwelling of genuine heartfelt feelings held captive up to this point by evil and vile forces trying their utmost to bottle up the truth...just sayin' eh...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:

...would definitely have be that, otherwise our favourite fablulation don't work very well does it ?...

Cheers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

blutto said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
djpbaltimore said:

....that is just foolish conspiracy talk that will be passed on to the proper authorities and some blood thirsty lawyers that I have just retained ( and repent now because if you don't may gawd have mercy on your soul, err, wallet, because these guys are monsters )...

...you should open you eyes and see this for what it really is, an upwelling of genuine heartfelt feelings held captive up to this point by evil and vile forces trying their utmost to bottle up the truth...just sayin' eh...

Cheers
Well it is obvious that the dirty dozen here have a few sock-puppet accounts to get that LA vote up to 22 now. I think we can all agree on that.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
blutto said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
djpbaltimore said:

Cheers
Well it is obvious that the dirty dozen here have a few sock-puppet accounts to get that LA vote up to 22 now. I think we can all agree on that.

...that is just more low down conspiracy talk...we all know that could never happen here..

Cheers

May 13, 2015
Visit site
These posts about Lemond are a joke, you can't call someone the dirtiest cheater in cycling if you can't even pin anything specific on him.

It's one thing to discuss if X was/is a cheat or not but it's a different thing to talk about dirtiest cheater. There has to be something more substantial for that.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:
These posts about Lemond are a joke, you can't call someone the dirtiest cheater in cycling if you can't even pin anything specific on him.

It's one thing to discuss if X was/is a cheat or not but it's a different thing to talk about dirtiest cheater. There has to be something more substantial for that.

...yep....but then Indurain is on that list for some reason isn't he ?....

Cheers

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:

never mind, can't figure out how to post images.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

blutto said:
sniper said:

...would definitely have be that, otherwise the fable don't work very well would it ?...

Cheers

Well, as they say on Facebook, it's complicated. When we talk about whether it's possible to win without drugs, what are we talking about? Which races? Stage races or one-day races? Grand Tours? And what exactly do we mean by "drugs"?

When were certain drugs prohibited, and when were limits set on certain other drugs? Insulin? Cortisone? Testosterone? When did testing for these drugs and these limits go into effect, and when did the testing become effective? Was it possible for your team doctor, or your family doctor, to administer certain drugs while staying within the rules? And if not why have a doctor there to begin with? Just to treat road rash?

If you can win a one-day race without drugs, does it mean you can win a stage race without them? And if you can win a stage race without them, can you win a grand tour? If your doctor wants to keep you healthy and in with a fighting chance, why would you not want him to, especially if he can do so without violating the rules? If a doctor you trust is treating you, are you going to inquire of every substance he uses, or will you trust him to do his job? And when did pro cyclists become experts in medical science, willing to question and overrule their doctors? Or, for that matter, overly concerned about "rules", even at the expense of losing?

I don't doubt that, pre-EPO, some one-day races were won by non-doping riders. Anything beyond that, though, is beyond the boundaries of credibility. Among the winners of grand tours, the most you could hope for is a rider who for his own private reasons decided to play within the rules, with only himself to answer to. If there is such a rider, and if he is still living, it stands to reason that he'd feel very uncomfortable around, and resentful of, known cheaters.

When we talk about "dirty", which is where this thread begins, we should IMO take into account not only doping and corruption but also hypocrisy. But maybe this is reflected in the poll results.

EDIT: All day long, interestingly, provocatively, votes for Lance and LeMond have been neck-and-neck, and have grown at the same rate. When I posted this they were tied at 16 votes each. Suddenly, though, within thirty minutes of my post, votes for Lance surged by ~80%. What happened? Was the thread suddenly visited by the official LeMond Fan Club, by Betsy's most recent Tupperware party, or by concerned aliens from Alpha Centauri, who think whenever someone says "extraterrestrial" we're talking about them? I dunno how the vote changed so quickly, but it's interesting that it did.

Spawn of e said:
Metabolol said:

never mind, can't figure out how to post images.
It was posted for a minute. The pic of a dirty Lemond?

Worked fine..

blutto said:
Metabolol said:

...yep....but then Indurain is on that list for some reason isn't he ?....

Cheers

And has received exactly zero votes.... See the inconsistency?

Glenn_Wilson said:
blutto said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
djpbaltimore said:

Cheers
I voted LA, reflex action and I really just wanted to see what the results were so had to vote first. I don't think I can be counted in the clinic 12.

On the other hand, it would appear that LA only has 16 interns left, I bet he is nostalgic for the good old days when he could round up hundreds of them plus all those fanboys/girls to support his cause and make him feel so powerful and important.