• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dirty Teams

1995-3rd-tappa-la-Gewiss-in.jpg

All know that blue is the colour of full genius.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
euroking said:
Who Are The Dirtiness Teams You Ever Known In The Peloton. Past or Present.

I guess it would be a close run thing with any teams competing for the title of 'Dirtiest Team Ever Known', but one could hazard a guess towards East German, USSR and the likes.

blackcat said:
USPS ONCE Deutsche Telekom

'nuff said

/close thread

Agreed, but you need to throw in a little Festina - just because. And Liberty Seguros - just because. And, if you have ONCE, then add a touch of Kelme. And, as noted above, Gewiss really demonstrated what a team program can do for team results.

Then don't forget the ongoing saga of Astana... in just about every form. :eek:

Now, did we leave anyone out?

Dave.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Agreed, but you need to throw in a little Festina - just because. And Liberty Seguros - just because. And, if you have ONCE, then add a touch of Kelme. And, as noted above, Gewiss really demonstrated what a team program can do for team results.

Then don't forget the ongoing saga of Astana... in just about every form. :eek:

Now, did we leave anyone out?

Dave.
Kelme. shur, but Liberty Seguros were just a new sponsor cloaking the corpereal of ONCE

Festina? dont think they make it to the threshold of "dirtiest ever" just like Cofidis. Without a Ferrari or a Cecchini or some phd at Freiburg uni, they lack one or two inputs. They needed the best Lienders of their day, or Ferrari or Ceccho.

Why Kelme then? Well, Kelme were a walking talking and riding medical experiment who payed no heed to their athletes' lives. like Jesus Manzano. P'raps they were all Opus Dei and prayed to Jesus with their own schema daVinci Code and Dan freekin Brown.

i am nothing if i aint rigorous in my analysis of doping contexts

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I forgot CSC. I remember Bjarne flying down to Barca with Frank Shleck to book in to Fuentes gynecological services to get blood withdrawn for his pending pregnancy just in case he was hemorrhaging during birth

Okay, now that we have indicted the vast majority of the pro peloton, to no surprise, how about dirtiest Continental teams?

Saturn?
Chevy-LASheriff?

(always my personal favorite 'cuz they were sponsored by law and order)

Dave.

blackcat said:

Why Kelme then? Well, Kelme were a walking talking and riding medical experiment who payed no heed to their athletes' lives. like Jesus Manzano. P'raps they were all Opus Dei and prayed to Jesus with their own schema daVinci Code and Dan freekin Brown.

i am nothing if i aint rigorous in my analysis of doping contexts

Your rigor is applauded.

Why Kelme?

One word: Fuentes.

Fuentes - ONCE, Amaya, Kelme.

And, why Liberty Seguros?

One word: Saiz.

The most notorious teams would be those led by the most notorious managers and doctors.

Festina gets the acknowledgement because the opened the world's eyes to team supported sophisticated doping practices leading to the creation of WADA, even if they were relative amateurs at it.

bobbins said:
Gatorade in the 90s.
Ariostea
The US national team at the 1984 Olympics
Most East European teams
Gewiss
CSC
Once
Kelme
USPS / Disco / Astana / Radioshack
Astana v2.0
Sky
Saunier Duval
Cofidis
Le Groupment

Don't forget Astana started with Manolo Saiz as the final re-branding of ONCE. Vino is really running Astana v3.0.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS