• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ive got 2 shimano di2 DA9070 disc bikes now and it for sure is the future for riders with smaller hands.

The DA9000 calipers on any good alloy rim are incredible though. Not much difference.

Even the new 5800 calipers are incredible.

If you live in wet weather I would rate discs as the ticket or if you have small hands ie slighter female riders.

Re:

durianrider said:
Ive got 2 shimano di2 DA9070 disc bikes now and it for sure is the future for riders with smaller hands.

The DA9000 calipers on any good alloy rim are incredible though. Not much difference.

If you live in wet weather I would rate discs as the ticket or if you have small hands ie slighter female riders.
Yep, especially the direct mounts. Excellent stopping power and modulation, I recommend testing these first before discs if you're tentative about making the jump. Same with Campy direct mount.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
durianrider said:

Yep, especially the direct mounts. Excellent stopping power and modulation, I recommend testing these first before discs if you're tentative about making the jump. Same with Campy direct mount.

Agree on the new Shimano rim brakes. Pretty impressive. New low friction cables give them a really light feel too.

Of course hydros are pretty sweet too.

Campag hydro levers... Oh dear...

19_dscf1501_670.jpg

veganrob said:
I really was hoping for something better looking. Kinda bummed. Ugh

The screaming was deafening!!! From all the peanut gallery..discs, discs, discs!!!!Gotta put the reservoir someplace and they will work great. Much better than spam's etap and hydros..that's right-ain't none..

They answer no question, solve no problem for the vast majority of 'enthusiats'. If ya ride everyday, with deep carbon rims, in the rain..sure..but for the average punt on his 25 mile sunday ride in the sunshine..yeegads...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
veganrob said:

The screaming was deafening!!! From all the peanut gallery..discs, discs, discs!!!!Gotta put the reservoir someplace and they will work great. Much better than spam's etap and hydros..that's right-ain't none..

They answer no question, solve no problem for the vast majority of 'enthusiats'. If ya ride everyday, with deep carbon rims, in the rain..sure..but for the average punt on his 25 mile sunday ride in the sunshine..yeegads...

No team rode with discs in Milan San Remo.

Benotti69 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
veganrob said:

On Friday it was reported that Davide Vigano’ of the Androni Giocattoli team would be the sole user of a disc brakes. However race organiser RCS Sport that no team had asked for special support from neutral service and all the Kuota team bikes parked outside the Androni Giocattoli bus were fitted with caliper brakes.

With so much at stake at Milan-San Remo it seemed that no team or bike sponsor wanted to risk any problems for the slight advantage disc brakes would give on a warm and dry edition of Milan-San Remo.

^^ from CN article.

Benotti69 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
veganrob said:

Of course not, none on Strada Bianchi(lots of dirt) either. Why some(mostly US) think they gotta have that disc brake 'GRoad bike, is beyond me. And most won't have them even at P-R or Flanders. I know a lot of the Campag, NA guys, they talk to real, genuine, pros all the time. They ask, 'what needs to be improved on bike kit?', these guys never say 'brakes'...

For right above, "for the slight advantage disc brakes would give"..heavier, less 'aero', more expensive...what advantage, on this, 50 degree, dry day, race?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Benotti69 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
veganrob said:

Of course not, none on Strada Bianchi(lots of dirt) either. Why some(mostly US) think they gotta have that disc brake 'GRoad bike, is beyond me. And most won't have them even at P-R or Flanders. I know a lot of the Campag, NA guys, they talk to real, genuine, pros all the time. They ask, 'what needs to be improved on bike kit?', these guys never say 'brakes'...

For right above, "for the slight advantage disc brakes would give"..heavier, less 'aero', more expensive...what advantage, on this, 50 degree, dry day, race?

There are photos of Stephen Roche and Paul Kimmage on Stickybottle.com racing a cyclocross race in Dublin Ireland on normal racing bikes, standard caliper brakes.

Sometimes people can get to wound up on the smallest of details.

the bike industry is being stupid and greedy.

Bustedknuckle said:
veganrob said:

Agreed. I hate to explain to customers that where we live, Michigan, disc brakes are just not needed. But if hey want to buy all the hype of the latest stuff, go right ahead. I still don't have them on any bike except mtn and am no hurry to put them on road or cx bikes.

Re:

King Boonen said:

19_dscf1501_670.jpg

Not as ugly as the SRAM hydro levers but still pretty dire. I'll have discs on my next winter/commuter bike, but as for my summer bike, still can't see the point. Direct mount rim brakes with Mavic Exolith (or the Campag equivalent) will do me, thanks.

winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:

19_dscf1501_670.jpg

Not as ugly as the SRAM hydro levers but still pretty dire. I'll have discs on my next winter/commuter bike, but as for my summer bike, still can't see the point. Direct mount rim brakes with Mavic Exolith (or the Campag equivalent) will do me, thanks.

shimano is big also. GRoad bikes..marketing run amok. BUT the latest is electronic and hydros..where or where are you spam/scam/slam/sram? Big fail from a company known for fails...another recall? zipp junque this time.

Attachments

• shimano-r785-road-and-cx-di2-hydraulic-sti-lever-disc-brake-4797.jpg
    shimano-r785-road-and-cx-di2-hydraulic-sti-lever-disc-brake-4797.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,767

winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:

19_dscf1501_670.jpg

I think my main issue with it is that it's so much uglier than the normal levers whereas the Shim/Sram look silly but not much different.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Benotti69 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
veganrob said:

There are photos of Stephen Roche and Paul Kimmage on Stickybottle.com racing a cyclocross race in Dublin Ireland on normal racing bikes, standard caliper brakes.

the bike industry is being stupid and greedy.

Except that the bike industry is nothing to do with racing. Racing is just the shop window for some of the sectors of bike sales, that is all.

Technology progresses, but it is not really driven by the needs of racers. It is driven by the need to innovate. Some innovations are valuable, some less so. As Busted knuckle says, for your average Sunday fairweather rider disc brakes are pretty irrelevant. They are nice, but certainly not very useful, let alone essential.

If however, you ride in all weathers, discs work. Plus they don't grind your rims down, and so open up the possibility of investing in rims that last.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:

19_dscf1501_670.jpg

shimano is big also. GRoad bikes..marketing run amok. BUT the latest is electronic and hydros..where or where are you spam/scam/slam/sram? Big fail from a company known for fails...another recall? zipp junque this time.

There might be somebody in the industry that has some stats, but my impression is that in the UK, the huge bulge of bike sales has happened. It's over.

There are now an awful lot of sheds wit £2k+ bikes in. So, those cyclists will not need another £2k+ bike unless of course a new bike offers something different......like 'must have' discs. So yes, marketing gone mad.

I'm not against this, mind you. It doesn't mean I have to buy one, but at least stuff gets developed and then refined.

Remember, in a few years nobody will remember how they only managed with 9 speed blocks....

]

They answer no question, solve no problem for the vast majority of 'enthusiats'. If ya ride everyday, with deep carbon rims, in the rain..sure..but for the average punt on his 25 mile sunday ride in the sunshine..yeegads...[/quote]

No team rode with discs in Milan San Remo.[/quote]

For right above, "for the slight advantage disc brakes would give"..heavier, less 'aero', more expensive...what advantage, on this, 50 degree, dry day, race?[/quote]

the bike industry is being stupid and greedy.[/quote]

Except that the bike industry is nothing to do with racing. Racing is just the shop window for some of the sectors of bike sales, that is all.

Technology progresses, but it is not really driven by the needs of racers. It is driven by the need to innovate. Some innovations are valuable, some less so. As Busted knuckle says, for your average Sunday fairweather rider disc brakes are pretty irrelevant. They are nice, but certainly not very useful, let alone essential.

If however, you ride in all weathers, discs work. Plus they don't grind your rims down, and so open up the possibility of investing in rims that last.[/quote]

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. If they guy who just won P-R had discs, you'd see it the next day. Thankfully he didn't but some guy got sliced by a rotor in a crash..sliced to the bone, sliced. Won't be the last time. 'GRoad' bikes, gotta have discs while pros shrug their collective shoulders.

I know a guy who lost the tip of his finger in a crash because his hand got between the spinning wheel and his fork. I have an ugly scar on my elbow from the chain rings of another guys bike who lost control, ran into me, and flipped. I'm not convinced that MOST road bikes need disc brakes, but using an injury as the reason that road bikes don't need them is silly.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I cracked my nuts on the top tube going over a bump this morning. Get rid of top tubes!!

I try not to crash, so I'm not overly concerned about being cleft in two by a red hot disc....but if I was in a pack of 120 riders going full tilt at the end of a long day it's a different level of risk.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS