• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So... the rhetoric and emotion around this issue seems to have subsided marginally, and while not intentionally wanting to spark another flame, I see an opportunity to make some points without unnecessary controversy. Most of the disagreement seems to revolve around the acceptance of disc brakes in road racing at the highest levels. On that issue I have made some bold predictions of my own, which I will continue to stand behind, but only time will tell if they are accurate or not. Predictions are not assertions, and contemptible is not an applicable adjective when discussing one. I would point to the title of this thread as a reminder of context for the observations to follow.

As a much younger man, I was involved in the alpine ski business at reasonably high levels of World Cup racing and brand development. I worked for a binding manufacturer that made a bold product leap into the sport of cycling with a new idea, and a controversial product. For more than twenty five years after that I worked for several influential manufacturers in both industries, and I have a few experience based observations on product development, market penetration and demographic change.

If you were a serious (sportive) skier in the 90's, you were undoubtedly skiing on a model ski that was represented, by model and graphic, on athletes at the World Cup level. (think Trek Madone) While the racer's product was different, the influence in design was "trickle down", and the brand marketing inextricably linked to racing. Ten to fifteen years ago a demographic shift began to change that marketing relationship. Ski racers finding greater strength and mass, started to look more like middle linebackers, and found improving results. Ski development for these fitter and more demanding athletes became more exacting. Those skis, while performing admirably when one could muster the energy and technique, began to leave more and more skiers wanting something a little less demanding and more usable.

Today racing skis from Atomic. Rossignol, Fischer, Head, Dynastar... (companies that spend many millions on racing at the highest level) have become a small single digit percentage of their overall retail ski sales. Almost no ski shop stocks them for sale... they are a special need, special order item (think Time Trial bike). The net result is; the most popular skis actually being sold today, are some of the best performing, most well rounded skis ever produced. The customer base, while no less demanding, has universally accepted that racing skis are purpose built to a narrow performance spectrum that does not meet their consumer needs. The demands of their skiing are more diverse than what a racing ski can provide.

I mention this because I see a parallel to product development at the highest levels of cycling. Pro level race bikes are getting well beyond the means of even the most serious and committed road cyclists. A $10K very close replica of your favorite pros mount can still be found at your LBS, but fewer of them are being sold, and so fewer are being produced. Look at any brands catalog and you will see a steady migration of emphasis away from racing in favor of the "everyman's" performance ride; the endurance bike, the century bike, the Fondo bike... Why?... because the consumer is speaking with his credit card, and the manufacturer's are listening. Because if you have purchased a pro caliber race bike in the five years or so, you absolutely don't need a new one. If you want one, great... go get it. But fewer and fewer of us are. My five year old Madone 6.9 is just fine thanks... and will probably be my last serious race bike. I recently acquired an "endurance" bike; 15.5 lb carbon fiber, hydraulic disc, Di2... and I can tell you that pretty much all my other bikes are getting dusty hanging in the garage.

Product development moves with consumer demand. It is a mercurial thing. Time tested products never disappear, they simply gain or loose emphasis based on trends. I have seen many comments on this thread about component suppliers "forcing" disc technology as a means to increase sales. It doesn't really work that way. The market chases bold new ideas, and the manufacturer's try to keep up, and the competition between them forges the next new idea. The consumer ultimately wins. What aspect of your current ride is not a serious improvement over your previous one?

If you have ridden a hydraulic disc road brake, you have an understanding of something over those who have not. If you are a component manufacturer sponsoring pro teams, you have a marketing tool at your disposal to make that understanding more universally known. None of them will miss the opportunity to do so. Is their motivation altruistic?... No. Is it obvious?... Yes. Is road cycling poised to move into a new braking technology paradigm? Like every other aspect of technology in our chosen sport, and in our busy lives, I am afraid so.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/road-bike-disc-brakes-coming/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWsSB9QGkY

Very good post.

For me they make perfect sense. The arguments about them being time consuming fail, because they require very little servicing (like rim brakes). Pad changes are quick, bleeding takes half an hour tops and is done at home in the evening when time isn't an issue. I don't really care about weight, I'm not a racer and I ride steel, in fact for 70ish% of my riding I don't care about my brakes at all. They stop me when I pull the levers and that's all I want. However, at least 30% of my riding is done in wet, slippy conditions on poorly maintained roads with gravel, mud, leaves, branches and grit aplenty. It's these times I really do care about my brakes and I want them to stop/slow me as quickly as possible. I want them to work consistently from the start of the ride to the end of the ride. I want them to cope with the Scottish weather conditions which can go from blazing sunshine to snow and back in the space of 20 minutes. Here, rim brakes fail when compared to discs.

Are discs the answer for everyone? Probably not if we look at specific cases and that's ok, rim brakes will be around for a long time yet. Are they the best technology to have on the "everyman" bikes Velofidelis describes above as the bread and butter of the cycling industry? Yes. Undoubtably so.

I recently rode my Dads new bike that has the TRP HY/RD calipers, a cable actuated hydraulic system. They're brilliant.

My next road bike will have disc brakes, I'll bet that when it comes to it, I'll have a very large range to choose from.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
If you have ridden a hydraulic disc road brake, you have an understanding of something over those who have not. If you are a component manufacturer sponsoring pro teams, you have a marketing tool at your disposal to make that understanding more universally known. None of them will miss the opportunity to do so. Is their motivation altruistic?... No. Is it obvious?... Yes. Is road cycling poised to move into a new braking technology paradigm? Like every other aspect of technology in our chosen sport, and in our busy lives, I am afraid so.

Brilliant and I especially like the You tube review. I think he covered the important points very well. The one thing I am looking forward to is how they solve the wheel change issue. Some new kind of captive through axle with a quick release sort of feature. Open a lever pull the axel out to a stop replace the wheel and reverse the axle process. I have an idea that would remove the need to screw the axle in. I am sure that there are other ideas in the works from real mechanical engineers.
One unmentioned point in the video is the fender clearance. no brake callipers to deal with which is often the hardest place on a racing bike to fit fenders. The other point I appreciated is for my wife and I is we are not racing anymore so wheel changes have no importance to me. I even stopped filing the lawyer lips off my forks.

Re: Re:

Master50 said:
VeloFidelis said:

Brilliant and I especially like the You tube review. I think he covered the important points very well. The one thing I am looking forward to is how they solve the wheel change issue. Some new kind of captive through axle with a quick release sort of feature. Open a lever pull the axel out to a stop replace the wheel and reverse the axle process. I have an idea that would remove the need to screw the axle in. I am sure that there are other ideas in the works from real mechanical engineers.
One unmentioned point in the video is the fender clearance. no brake callipers to deal with which is often the hardest place on a racing bike to fit fenders. The other point I appreciated is for my wife and I is we are not racing anymore so wheel changes have no importance to me. I even stopped filing the lawyer lips off my forks.

Not exactly. If the disc caliper is on the seat stay and on most(all) forks with discs, it is an issue. Not impossible but not as simple as fenders with cantis.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/25959/is-it-safe-to-mount-fender-stays-and-disc-brakes-on-the-same-bolt

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Master50 said:
VeloFidelis said:

Not exactly. If the disc caliper is on the seat stay and on most(all) forks with discs, it is an issue. Not impossible but not as simple as fenders with cantis.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/25959/is-it-safe-to-mount-fender-stays-and-disc-brakes-on-the-same-bolt
I would not worry about using a longer bolt and putting a fender stay under the caliber mounting bolt. A fender stay does not introduce enough stresses to worry me. Others may not take that risk Some disk bikes do have fender mounts too

VeloFidelis said:
Arriving ahead of schedule... Hmmm, imagine that...

http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/11/mass-extinction/
Looking forward to this on road bikes after an age of super smooth hydraulics on MTBs (and after having rims blow out on hot summer days from stones in the brake blocks scoring through a lightweight road rim). At the moment here in the UK the choice is limited still for road brakes, 3 pages worth from the major UK retailers but slowly and surely it's picking up

winkybiker said:
AJ101 said:
VeloFidelis said:

.....and after having rims blow out on hot summer days from stones in the brake blocks scoring through a lightweight road rim.......

Nope. In 40 years, never had that happen.

Hmmm, never had that happen or heard of it around these parts

not saying it doesn't or hasn't though :confused:

does it get that hot in the UK?? surely not :D

And when the first pro cooks his super lightweight disc system on a fast descent on prime-time TV, the marketers will have to get back in their box and leave the engineering to engineers.

And why will road discs which have a much harder duty cycle be lighter than MTB discs?

Hmmm forty years... imagine that. I've never seen it either, nor have I seen a disc brake "cooked" on a road bike... or any bike come to think about it. Tell you what,,, I'll share the secret of why they'll be lighter, if you share the secret of why, "road discs have a much harder duty cycle than MTB discs".

AJ101 said:
VeloFidelis said:

Looking forward to this on road bikes after an age of super smooth hydraulics on MTBs (and after having rims blow out on hot summer days from stones in the brake blocks scoring through a lightweight road rim). At the moment here in the UK the choice is limited still for road brakes, 3 pages worth from the major UK retailers but slowly and surely it's picking up

Ok..
-post or direct mount?
-140/160/180mm rotor?
-QR, 20mm TA, 15mm TA, 12mm TA?
-135mm spacing, 142mm spacing, Specialized or Trek spacing?

Design not even close to be settled on a very mature MTB market, less so in cross(most Euros still use cantis)..don't expect anything 'standard' on a road bike. Choose carefully and beware of manufacturers (lack of) long term support. Look at BB 'standards' as a guide.

Attachments

• poster-jpg.jpg
    poster-jpg.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 798
Bustedknuckle said:
AJ101 said:
VeloFidelis said:

Ok..
-post or direct mount?
-140/160/180mm rotor?
-QR, 20mm TA, 15mm TA, 12mm TA?
-135mm spacing, 142mm spacing, Specialized or Trek spacing?

Design not even close to be settled on a very mature MTB market, less so in cross(most Euros still use cantis)..don't expect anything 'standard' on a road bike. Choose carefully and beware of manufacturers (lack of) long term support. Look at BB 'standards' as a guide.

This ^^

Cataloging minutia doesn't really answer the question does it? Here, I'll go first; my answer is concise. Road discs at the Pro level will get lighter simply because that is what the Pro's will want, and by extension, team managers, factory reps, and ultimately component manufacturers. Can you name an aspect of cycling that hasn't gone this route?

Now why is it again that "road discs have a much harder duty cycle than MTB discs"?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Cataloging minutia doesn't really answer the question does it? Here, I'll go first; my answer is concise. Road discs at the Pro level will get lighter simply because that is what the Pro's will want, and by extension, team managers, factory reps, and ultimately component manufacturers. Can you name an aspect of cycling that hasn't gone this route?

Now why is it again that "road discs have a much harder duty cycle than MTB discs"?

I have read that some companies are developing carbon fiber rotors for disc brakes - that should help reduce weight.

Re duty cycles; the energy that needs to be dissipated by brakes is equal to 0.5 x mass x velocity squared so you could run a few calculations.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:

I don't know about "duty cycle" as that depends on the terrain, but the brakes on a road bike on grippy tarmac braking hard from high-speed into a downhill corner will have to dissipate energy at a far greater rate than a mountain bike on dirt at lower speeds. It may not matter too much if that peak energy situation is not repeated too rapidly in succession, but there is a reason sportsbikes have huge dual discs up front, and motocross bikes get by with a single, skinny disc.

The inevitable quest for lightness may end in tears.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:

Will the pros be screaming out for lighter systems? We have a minimum UCI weight for racing bikes anyway so a call for weight reduction won't be coming from the Pro's but from the public, look at how many teams use alloy bars, stems and whatnot and compare that to how how many weekend riders have carbon.

StryderHells said:
VeloFidelis said:
.....Road discs at the Pro level will get lighter simply because that is what the Pro's will want.......

Will the pros be screaming out for lighter systems? We have a minimum UCI weight for racing bikes anyway so a call for weight reduction won't be coming from the Pros.........

That's a good point. It is a reason to maintain the minimum weight limits, at least until lighter systems are proven reliable under all (reasonable) circumstances.

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to figure out what will happen with the lack of aero with disc.
Will disc be huge next year?
Buy a new bike now or wait for disc to be figured out?

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
mtnbikerva1 said:

Or just use caliper brakes. Gonna be around for a long time. ROAD discs are the stuff of marketeers and $.

Yep. Caliper for me.

The pros have little say in it all really. I always found it more interesting to see what pros ride after they finished racing on sponsored bikes.

Benotti69 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
mtnbikerva1 said:

Or just use caliper brakes. Gonna be around for a long time. ROAD discs are the stuff of marketeers and $.

Yep. Caliper for me.

The pros have little say in it all really. I always found it more interesting to see what pros ride after they finished racing on sponsored bikes.

Or what they ride when they aren't in team kit. A LOT ride Pegorettis.

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I will fully admit I was a very early adopter of disc brakes. I have a 2015 giant defy advanced pro 1 with the carbon slr0 wheels. I live in Utah and there is not a day I ride without at least 1000ft. elevation gain/loss. I am 6 foot and 220#. I ride in all but the coldest weather as I HATE the trainer. My other bike is fitted with dura ace 9000 and rolf vigor rs aluminum rims. There is no doubt the disk feel better in the hand, but overall power is the same. I can stop basically the same. In the wet again disc feel nicer but overall I just don't believe there is that big of a difference. My times on Strava tell me that on average I am about 1 mph slower on the disc bike. In the wind you can defiantly feel the difference, especially cross winds. You can also "feel" the extra mass of the rotor. I ride some pretty big mountains and on a regular basis, and have decided to sell the disc bike. I just can't see any benefit to the system over the course of a year, plus caliber brakes are much easier to work on. Hope this helps anyone thinking about purchasing a bike soon.