• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Weight limit comes down ,discs introduced ...waste of time.
I would love to have seen Bertie and co riding up alp d huez on a 9 pound bike. That development will be hindered due to discs and stupid light bikes will stay out of the league of most fans unless you can afford the likes of Ax lightness, Schmolke etc

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SirLes said:
I always thought the limiting factor when it came to braking on a road bike was grip of the tire on the road. Am I wrong? Never used disc brakes.

Yes, has to be. We can all lock up our tires with rim brakes. It just happens more easily and perhaps a bit quicker with discs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

They are stronger no doubt. With such a small tire patch, gonna be a lot of tire flat spots(skids) and blown tires.

'Hand fatigue'..oh please. I remember that when shimano came out with Di2, they said energy saved from pushing shift levers..Balderdash on them both. Modern DP brakes are both easy effort and modulate very well. A lot of discs are 'on-off'on'.

In 35 years I have never worn out a rim from brake wear. In the shop we saw maybe 3-4 a year..non issue.

For wet, sloppy, when the chance to wack a wheel is high? Yes, yes, and yes...from MTBs..another morph that marketeers are pushing..along with the other dopey idea, tubeless road.[/quote]

Back in 1988 I went to see the tour and going over the Tourmalet I had to stop on the decent to rest my hands from all the braking.
OK they were Delta Brakes so not the greatest example.

I guess you don't ride much in the rain? Yes road rims do last a long time but here in the pacific Northwest and SW corner of BC we get a lot of worn out road rims. Unlike MTBs they last more than 2 years but I just rebuilt my original nucleon wheels with new rims. My wife's winter bike needs them soon. and every MTB I have owned that used rim brakes last 2 years max.
Tubeless road is also not such a bad idea for commuters but for high pressure tires I agree they are not ready for prime time but getting better. I can't imagine a tubeless that competes with a Vittoria open pro. we seem to have quite different perspectives but the current road brakes from Shimano and Campy have given us many of the exact benefits that disks promise. My take is it is just subtler than the difference between Delta Brakes and current dual pivot brakes. That change was profound. I expect the move to high end disk brake bikes will be less profound and more like an evolution.
Every shortcoming you point out are being worked on and like on MTBS they will improve and adapt to the specific needs of road bikes. I hardly know anyone that still defends DT shifting over brifters regardless of weight penalty.

I originally posted this a month ago on another Forum thread... true then... truer today!

All the ridiculous hair splitting aside, here's a prediction for you: The UCI will approve the use of disc brakes in road cycling before the start of the 2016 season. And the conversion in the peloton will be unanimous by the end of the Spring Classics. When you show a pro that he can descend faster, and brake later, more safely, with more confidence, in all conditions, do you seriously think they won't go there? Why not?... the weight thing? Bahh!... minor details soon to be worked out.

I worked for a ski binding manufacturer in 1985 that came up with a clipless pedal that was 2.5 times heavier, with way less cornering clearance than the toe clip/strap pedals that any pro was using at that time. What kind of pedals do you use?

Disc brakes work better... prepare to evolve.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
I originally posted this a month ago on another Forum thread... true then... truer today!

All the ridiculous hair splitting aside, here's a prediction for you: The UCI will approve the use of disc brakes in road cycling before the start of the 2016 season. And the conversion in the peloton will be unanimous by the end of the Spring Classics. When you show a pro that he can descend faster, and brake later, more safely, with more confidence, in all conditions, do you seriously think they won't go there? Why not?... the weight thing? Bahh!... minor details soon to be worked out.

I worked for a ski binding manufacturer in 1985 that came up with a clipless pedal that was 2.5 times heavier, with way less cornering clearance than the toe clip/strap pedals that any pro was using at that time. What kind of pedals do you use?

Disc brakes work better... prepare to evolve.

Maybe you will...'evolve'. Pros care about reliability, function, weight. They care that when they get a wheel change, nothing rubs. They care if it's quick, get pissed when it isn't.

Yes, there are things that need to be standardized, otherwise there will be no neutral support at all and races will be won or lost because of wheel changes or lack thereof..something the BIG BOYS that put these races on want to prevent.

Compared to a well set up DP brake, they are stronger, no doubt. They work better in the wet, slop, yes. Where the chances of wacking a wheel is high-you bet.

BUT I'd say from box to ride, a DP brake system takes about 30 minutes to install. Times 2 or 3 for a disc brake bike.

Lessee...20 bikes...10 hours vs 20-30? Glad I'm not a team wrench. Yes, it'll happen, frame/fork/hub/wheel makers will do it, there will be brake fades to zero on high speed descents, there will be bike tosses and wheel tosses. There will be rotors rubbing and spectators will smile, and racers will grumble..can't wait.

There will be a racer on the front, who punctures, cant get a wheel or can't get a wheel to work..and he will lose because of it.

Can't wait but like I said..and to the guy who says 'prepare to evolve'..

I don't have to
-use 'em
-sell 'em
-work on 'em..

I agree with you 100%. Racing will continue to be exactly as it has always been, and new technology will replace old, as it always has. That's evolution. On a personal level you can choose to resist it. You will however, bear witness to it.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Has pro racing evolved so much ...my bikes are pounds lighter than anything you could legally race. I mean you could easily race a 9-10 pound bike. I mean look at how many teams are adding weights or using heavier parts to make the UCI limit. Their is no real development in light parts.
My red rear mech on my bike is well under 90grms. Sram could easily have made it that way but with the UCI limit there is no need.
Maybe with discs we will see weights start to drop in other areas.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:

I don't have to
-use 'em
-sell 'em
-work on 'em..

A philosophical question ... Based on this report (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/ ... ust_366590), the UCI will allow disc brakes on road bikes in the professional peloton in two races in 2016 and then all races in 2017. This technology is coming whether we like it or not. The question is ... Is this a game changer? Not for you or me, but for the bike manufacturers? Will they now make only disc-specific frames with all the trickle down technology (wheels, etc)? If so, as a LBS owner, you'll have to sell 'em and work on 'em to stay in business. As a bike rider wanting a new bike, you'll have to buy a completely new frame, completely new wheel set, etc. While the arguments about whether disc brakes are good or not will no doubt continue, my prediction is that these arguments will not matter in the near future because they will all be philosophical. Bike companies will force us regular Joes to evolve because this will be the easiest way to make money. We may desire electronic shifting or this or that wheel set, etc, but these are just "developments" which are made available to us and we do not necessarily have to embrace; but if the bike companies change their frames to accommodate disc wheels only, which I predict they will largely do, then we do not have any choice in the matter and we will be forced to evolve.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

elapid said:
Bustedknuckle said:

I don't have to
-use 'em
-sell 'em
-work on 'em..

A philosophical question ... Based on this report (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/ ... ust_366590), the UCI will allow disc brakes on road bikes in the professional peloton in two races in 2016 and then all races in 2017. This technology is coming whether we like it or not. The question is ... Is this a game changer? Not for you or me, but for the bike manufacturers? Will they now make only disc-specific frames with all the trickle down technology (wheels, etc)? If so, as a LBS owner, you'll have to sell 'em and work on 'em to stay in business. As a bike rider wanting a new bike, you'll have to buy a completely new frame, completely new wheel set, etc. While the arguments about whether disc brakes are good or not will no doubt continue, my prediction is that these arguments will not matter in the near future because they will all be philosophical. Bike companies will force us regular Joes to evolve because this will be the easiest way to make money. We may desire electronic shifting or this or that wheel set, etc, but these are just "developments" which are made available to us and we do not necessarily have to embrace; but if the bike companies change their frames to accommodate disc wheels only, which I predict they will largely do, then we do not have any choice in the matter and we will be forced to evolve.

We will have to wait and see how the pro's pick up on the disc bikes. In cyclo cross there are still many riders not using discs.
They really are not needed in pro racing and I fear we will end up with pro bikes that are way out of the price range of most fans.
I have a friend who updates his bike and spends quite a bit of cash just because its the latest thing.
Its world full of idiots really. Yeah I am talking about my friend, he's part of the problem. He his the bike makers dream. I mean he would by the same exact bike "upgrade" next year if the only difference is a couple of painted dots on the down tube

Im a weight weenie so I certainly will not be swapping my AX lightness orions for any disc set up unless they can get weight down to 100grms a pair with 230grm forks .

Oh Please!!... of all the ridiculous faux concerns that can be mustered about brake development, this is what you've got?

"As a bike rider wanting a new bike, you'll have to buy a completely new frame, completely new wheel set, etc."

"Bike companies will force us regular Joes to evolve because this will be the easiest way to make money."

"we do not have any choice in the matter and we will be forced to evolve."
For the record evolution is not a choice, or if it is, it's the one that chooses you.

Do you really think you will have no choice regarding what you want to ride or buy? It is hard for me to fathom how anyone could reach that conclusion. I have many bikes in the garage from a long life of cycling. They include:

1979 TI Raleigh / Campi Nuovo Record
1985 Bianchi Centenario / Campi C Record (pantagraphed)
1998 Schwinn Paramount (Serotta Ti) / Dura Ace

All these bikes could still be ridden on any given day, and while I do not ride them very often, I have no problem keeping them in perfectly functional working order. My newest bike is a Volagi Liscio / Ultegra Di2 with hydraulic disc brakes and carbon wheels. Given my many choices, this is my preferred ride at the moment.

I have been around long enough to see crazy avant garde developments in cycling; like clipless pedal, and break lever shifters. Every argument being posited against road disc bakes was also once directed at them. Yet... what do you ride with? If you haven't ridden a 15 lb. road bike with disc brakes, I suggest you do. The flimsiness of the argument will be revealed.

And for those who think new technology means old technology doesn't work any more... check it out.

http://www.eroica.cc/

If my plans work out, I'll be riding an 85 Bianchi around the Italian countryside for several days in October with some of my lesser evolved friends.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Oh Please!!... of all the ridiculous faux concerns that can be mustered about brake development, this is what you've got?

"As a bike rider wanting a new bike, you'll have to buy a completely new frame, completely new wheel set, etc."

"Bike companies will force us regular Joes to evolve because this will be the easiest way to make money."

"we do not have any choice in the matter and we will be forced to evolve."
For the record evolution is not a choice, or if it is, it's the one that chooses you.

Do you really think you will have no choice regarding what you want to ride or buy? It is hard for me to fathom how anyone could reach that conclusion. I have many bikes in the garage from a long life of cycling. They include:

1979 TI Raleigh / Campi Nuovo Record
1985 Bianchi Centenario / Campi C Record (pantagraphed)
1998 Schwinn Paramount (Serotta Ti) / Dura Ace

All these bikes could still be ridden on any given day, and while I do not ride them very often, I have no problem keeping them in perfectly functional working order. My newest bike is a Volagi Liscio / Ultegra Di2 with hydraulic disc brakes and carbon wheels. Given my many choices, this is my preferred ride at the moment.

I have been around long enough to see crazy avant garde developments in cycling; like clipless pedal, and break lever shifters. Every argument being posited against road disc bakes was also once directed at them. Yet... what do you ride with? If you haven't ridden a 15 lb. road bike with disc brakes, I suggest you do. The flimsiness of the argument will be revealed.

And for those who think new technology means old technology doesn't work any more... check it out.

http://www.eroica.cc/

If my plans work out, I'll be riding an 85 Bianchi around the Italian countryside for several days in October with some of my lesser evolved friends.

It is easy to use the avant garde developments that have stuck around as examples of how the nay sayers are wrong, but it isn't as easy to find examples of those that haven't stuck because we tend to forget them.

I think the question is whether or not road disc brakes will become standard equipment (like brake lever shifters) or whether they will only be used by a few. In the group I ride with there are sometimes upwards of 50 guys and only 1 has electronic shifting. Same for tubeless tires. I think disc brakes will have about the same success. I am not against innovation, just a realist.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm very happy to try new things and will probably have a bike with disc brakes at some point but I'm not sure what the advantages are. Don't they require more maintenance and are heavier? That's fine if there is an improvement in braking but as I posted earlier isn't tire grip the biggest issue?

Deep section rims, clip less pedals, shifters in break levers, more gears, lighter stuff I get. Even electronic gears seem to have the advantage of lower weight and reduced maintenance.

Can someone explain what problem disc brakes on a road bike overcome or advantage they have over rim brakes. Very happy to be educated by someone with experience

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Hyro-discs for road bikes have been around for over 40 years. There are many reasons then as they are now why pros did not want or even to use them. Pro cycling is already a mess with doping. Why ruin it further with useless tech that has no tactical advantage to the racer? Clipless pedals and integrated brake-shifters was scorned at first (mostly for there weight), but they have distinct tactical advantages to the racer. Disc brakes don't what so ever. The advantages (scoff) often used, racing in the wet and on descents. Have never been proven or would have been seen already in tests.

Please expound on your assertions as to the tactical advantages of clipless pedals. Having worked for LOOK in the 80's, I am well acquainted with their performance, and convenience merits... but tactical advantage?... do tell. Maybe you can also enlighten us all as to why more powerful, predictable, and consistent braking is NOT a tactical advantage. Are you aware of some form of wheeled racing of which the highest levels of competition are not completely dominated by disc brakes? To maintain that they have no advantages "what so ever" is to admit to never having used them. Better to complain about weight, compatibility, maintenance, neutral support... all the silly subjective hyperbolic speculation that preceded pedals and shifters, before they went on to total domination of the peloton, and road cycling at all levels.

My prediction stands. A year from now the conversion to the use of disc brake in the pro peloton will be virtually complete. Shimano and SRAM are too heavily invested, and even Campagnolo who back in the day, waited two years after Shimano introduce SIS, to adopt indexed shifting because it was "a fad", will ultimately develop a road disc brake. This sh!t just works better. You can hate progress, but you can't really stop it. Let's check back then and see...

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Please expound on your assertions as to the tactical advantages of clipless pedals. Having worked for LOOK in the 80's, I am well acquainted with their performance, and convenience merits... but tactical advantage?... do tell. Maybe you can also enlighten us all as to why more powerful, predictable, and consistent braking is NOT a tactical advantage.

This would happen once brakes are "good enough" so that the brakes themselves aren't the limiters.

The brakes won't be the limiters for stopping if or when road tyres and road surfaces aren't predictable or consistent enough. The brakes won't be the limiters for tactics if or when they have no influence on tactics.

Whether that's the situation today can be discussed. It is, for me, in the road racing that I do. It might not be true for the racing that you do. People here already use discs in road races.

Disc brakes today won't prevent crashes: the peloton rides too close. No brakes can possibly stop you in 10cm at 60km/h.

I've also seen what happens when you swap wheels now in a race. Aero brakes under the BB and narrow/wide rims mean that a wheel swap now can be much more complicated than it was just a few years ago. I'm not convinced discs are at a disadvantage there.

VeloFidelis said:
Are you aware of some form of wheeled racing of which the highest levels of competition are not completely dominated by disc brakes?

There exists wheeled racing where available discs aren't used: motocross. They could easily put bigger discs on, but don't. Just because more stopping power is available doesn't mean it's necessary or helpful.

For most wheeled racing the choice is disc vs. drum; not disc vs. rim. Swapping a wheel doesn't necessarily remove the brake.

VeloFidelis said:
To maintain that they have no advantages "what so ever" is to admit to never having used them.

That's what they said about biopace, o'symetric, powercranks, etc. etc. Show us the independent lab numbers.

And I have used discs, and continue to do so on one of my bikes.

VeloFidelis said:
My prediction stands. A year from now the conversion to the use of disc brake in the pro peloton will be virtually complete. Shimano and SRAM are too heavily invested, and even Campagnolo who back in the day, waited two years after Shimano introduce SIS, to adopt indexed shifting because it was "a fad", will ultimately develop a road disc brake.

Entirely possible, and it's entirely possible this will be true due to industry investment. The R&D needs to be paid.

It's also entirely possible that they work so much better we'll see more successful attacks on technical downhills. That would be nice.

It's also one of the reasons I'm holding off buying a new bike.

elapid said:
Bustedknuckle said:

I don't have to
-use 'em
-sell 'em
-work on 'em..

The bike biz has been pretty flat for a long time. Add 3% to your sales, take 3% from somebody else so yes, at least here in the US, you will see a lot of disc brake bikes, but still caliper brake bikes also. Smart retailers will have people compare, by riding. The disc brake bike will be heavier(the infamous, 'pick it up in the shop 'test''), and be more expensive. The customer will decide in their 15 minute 'ride around the parking lot', with the disc brake rubbing and squealing and not stop that much better...remember these are put together by the lowest in the food chain of 'wrenches'. The question is the lack of huge sales swell with disc brakes, will the industry press on with more or keep it as a relatively low level..I think number 2. Because disc brake frames, forks and hubs..cost more. I think it'll be an 'option', just like electronic..I think electronic and disc will be the most common since that's the easiest to do, lever wise. BUT like that Mercedes with the 7s paddle shifter or the same model with an automatic..both for a while.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Please expound on your assertions as to the tactical advantages of clipless pedals. Having worked for LOOK in the 80's, I am well acquainted with their performance, and convenience merits... but tactical advantage?... do tell. Maybe you can also enlighten us all as to why more powerful, predictable, and consistent braking is NOT a tactical advantage. Are you aware of some form of wheeled racing of which the highest levels of competition are not completely dominated by disc brakes? To maintain that they have no advantages "what so ever" is to admit to never having used them. Better to complain about weight, compatibility, maintenance, neutral support... all the silly subjective hyperbolic speculation that preceded pedals and shifters, before they went on to total domination of the peloton, and road cycling at all levels.

My prediction stands. A year from now the conversion to the use of disc brake in the pro peloton will be virtually complete. Shimano and SRAM are too heavily invested, and even Campagnolo who back in the day, waited two years after Shimano introduce SIS, to adopt indexed shifting because it was "a fad", will ultimately develop a road disc brake. This sh!t just works better. You can hate progress, but you can't really stop it. Let's check back then and see...

First they are much stronger and are limited by tire patch. They are n more predisctable not consistent than DP caliper brakes.

Second those wheeled events so dominated by discs are 400-600 pound machines traveling at very high 2 digit and often approaching 200 mph speeds.. And compared to drum brakes..no comparison.

Test in 2016..intro in 2017, you are already late. suntour had index shifting before shimano. 1985 is when shimano introduced SIS on MTBs..a modification of fishing gear technology. Campagnolo had index shifting ala CDA, A-B Chorus, Athena in 1986...Valentino did view road index shifting as a 'fad'..

Yup, it'll happen, neutral support in the pro peloton will be aided by some standards. Rotors will rub, brakes will fade, races will be lost because a compatible wheel could not be found. I guess eventually it'll work better but not in 2017.

Wow... so much to agree on. Disc brakes are more powerful. Neither of us can name a professional wheeled sport not dominated by disc brake other than road cycling. Yes Sun Tour did beat Shimano with index shifting. I have a Klein Pinnacle with full XC Pro hanging in the garage. Campagnolo's hubris has made them late to the show several times before, and most likely will again. And disc brakes will take over the pro peloton in relatively short order.

Where we disagree... Brake fade?... really? I have been riding high quality bicycles for about 45 years. Yes I am old, but I still grind out 3K to 4K road miles a year. And I have not completely lost my cognitive skills or memory. I can remember when Mayfac brakes were considered to be the best... and they sucked. After 25 years of riding Campi, from Gran Sport to Nuovo, Super, and C Record (including Delta brakes) it took me one test ride on Dura Ace 7400 to complete convert me to Shimano based almost exclusively on better braking.

I have had disc brakes on mountains bikes for a decade, Avid BB7's on a cross bike for five, and hydraulic road discs for about a year. The only brake fade I have EVER experienced has been on rim brakes. Modulation... the ability to reliably feel and apply greater baking forces to the wheel with a much lower risk of locking that wheel, is the difference that enhances performance. In that equation the tire contact patch is a simple constant, not a variable.

Yes neutral support will have issues... no more than they still have with pedals. And yes, standards will evolve to make it better. The heartbreak of losing a race due to mechanical incompatibility is a story as old as racing itself. I don't ever expect that to change.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site

We will have to wait and see how the pro's pick up on the disc bikes. In cyclo cross there are still many riders not using discs.
They really are not needed in pro racing and I fear we will end up with pro bikes that are way out of the price range of most fans.
I have a friend who updates his bike and spends quite a bit of cash just because its the latest thing.
Its world full of idiots really. Yeah I am talking about my friend, he's part of the problem. He his the bike makers dream. I mean he would by the same exact bike "upgrade" next year if the only difference is a couple of painted dots on the down tube

Im a weight weenie so I certainly will not be swapping my AX lightness orions for any disc set up unless they can get weight down to 100grms a pair with 230grm forks .[/quote]

A lot of Pro bikes are currently beyond the means of most of us. Lots have +$10,000 price tags right now.
You are a weight weenie? so money is not an issue for you given the current cost per gram of Uberlight. I hope you don't live in flatland because that is a huge waste of money if there are no hills to enjoy the lightness.
Regardless I am sure there are pro sprinters riding their minimum 15 pound bikes that are kicking your butt on the climbs? the lightness isn't making you a winner is it. Except at the scales? We have a local hill climb. it is very steep and only about 1 mile but all the records were set on 20+ pound bikes. It seems all of the weight conscious attempts at the record were defeated by better climbers on regular bikes. Coming down the hill and good brakes are the charm

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Master50 said:

Im a weight weenie so I certainly will not be swapping my AX lightness orions for any disc set up unless they can get weight down to 100grms a pair with 230grm forks .

A lot of Pro bikes are currently beyond the means of most of us. Lots have +$10,000 price tags right now.
You are a weight weenie? so money is not an issue for you given the current cost per gram of Uberlight. I hope you don't live in flatland because that is a huge waste of money if there are no hills to enjoy the lightness.
Regardless I am sure there are pro sprinters riding their minimum 15 pound bikes that are kicking your butt on the climbs? the lightness isn't making you a winner is it. Except at the scales? We have a local hill climb. it is very steep and only about 1 mile but all the records were set on 20+ pound bikes. It seems all of the weight conscious attempts at the record were defeated by better climbers on regular bikes. Coming down the hill and good brakes are the charm[/quote]

So far no one has kicked my butt but I agree that the rider makes all the difference.
I like riding a light bike, flat, climbing , its all good.
Being a weight weenie for me is not about money. Many of the parts on my bikes are not expensive. My main squeeze is this bike https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/ I did a most of the tuning "weight loss"
myself except the seat post combo.

I have another bike /frame that I grant you is expensive £5000 Guru photon that I am currently building that will be even lighter. But again most parts are not that expensive.

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
£5000 is almost as much as my car is worth. Price arguments against disc brakes are silly, pro bikes are already out of reach for the vast majority of riders. I struggled to justify £1200 for my road bike and I could only justify £200 for my singlespeed because I'll save that and more in petrol costs. Pro bikes regularly exceed £8000, they are only accessible to a small percentage of the population and for most of them they're not even necessary, so I don't see any need for people to be able to afford them in the end. They should be out there pushing the technology so we can enjoy the benefits of the trickle down, and that includes disc brakes.

Seems Campag have announced that they are developing disc brakes, not surprised at all.

These other discussions have become circular so it's getting pretty pointless, it'll all come out in the wash.

King Boonen here btw, I currently can't log in to that account!

Couldn't agree more. Appreciation of technical excellence and engineering in cycling is one thing. But if you're spending the kind of money it takes to get your bikes on a competitive level with what your favorite Pro rides, and doesn't pay a dime out of pocket for... you have lost the thread.

Disc Brakes are coming to the highest levels of road cycling competition... that's inevitable. You don't have to convert until they trickle down to becoming more affordable in a few years... or ever, if you are not so inclined. It's OK... In the mean time put the technology arms race on hold, and go ride your bike. It's good for the soul.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King of Fife said:
£5000 is almost as much as my car is worth. Price arguments against disc brakes are silly, pro bikes are already out of reach for the vast majority of riders. I struggled to justify £1200 for my road bike and I could only justify £200 for my singlespeed because I'll save that and more in petrol costs. Pro bikes regularly exceed £8000, they are only accessible to a small percentage of the population and for most of them they're not even necessary, so I don't see any need for people to be able to afford them in the end. They should be out there pushing the technology so we can enjoy the benefits of the trickle down, and that includes disc brakes.

Seems Campag have announced that they are developing disc brakes, not surprised at all.

These other discussions have become circular so it's getting pretty pointless, it'll all come out in the wash.

King Boonen here btw, I currently can't log in to that account!

I am weight weenie. I am not trying to get my bikes like the pros. My bikes are way lighter.
I really don't think the pros will be all disc. I think it will end up like cyclo cross a mash up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the pros will have to decide either disk or no disk. It wont make wheel changes easier if some are on disk bikes and some are not.

Especially in a situation on a narrow climb and a team leader punctures and the next team mate and you both have different wheel set ups.

Also it will make the neutral service difficult and mechanics in races where no radios will be delayed figuring out whether it is a disk or non disk wheel.

I think teams will decide quickly whether to go disk or no disk. Will be fun watching the frustration of it all....:)