• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
Governing body to continue consultation on the matter

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/safety-concerns-behind-ucis-move-to-suspend-use-of-disc-brakes/

In a slightly unrelated matter....I was watching a great highlights clip of a new 7 day MTB race in the South Island of NZ called "The Pioneer"...in the clip, NZ Multisport legend Steve Gurney slices his forearm wide open on a disc rotor (on a mtb obviously) while getting water at an Aid station.....his fault and an accident btw.

the clip is 50mins long, but it's a nice production and showcases some beautiful NZ Sth Island scenery if you can be bothered ?? https://vimeo.com/162304646 - plus the race looks pretty damn cool!

Mountain bikes have become comically oversized. Ridiculous wheels and handlebars. The riders look Lilliputian.

Have you ridden one lately??

Not a new one, no. I have heard from many people that the bigger wheels are generally easier to ride, the more relaxed geometry makes descending much easier, and that the wider bars offer only advantages (other than threading between very narrow trees!). I'm sure they're just great. But I just chuckle to myself when I see these things. They (to my eyes) look ridiculous. I mean, sometimes I come across a mountain bike on the bridge during my commute. The bike lane is easily wide enough for two road bikes side-by-side, but the comically long bars of the mountain bike actually make overtaking impossible! The rider looks like he's struggling to actually even reach each hand-grip. The latest trend towards enormous tyres completes the picture, and makes it unlikely that I would ever get back into mountain biking.

Disclaimer: I am an avid hiker and actually think that access to the back-country and wilderness should be heavily restricted from bikes and especially bloody horses.

yeah fair enough - I'm a keen hiker / trekker also when I have the time. Keeping hikers and MTB Riders apart is a good idea imho. One of the places I ride the mtb around here has "shared trails" with hikers and riders using wide trails.....you can feel the tension and dagger eyes from some of the hikers when I ride past.
I can understand their point of view, but it cuts both ways.....the amount of times I've been maxed out going uphill on narrow trails and have encountered walkers and runners coming downhill who refuse to give way is incredibly annoying....all they need to do is step to one side for like 0.5 of a second!
Anyways, i digress and waaaay off topic here.

The leap to larger wheels, fat tires and super wide bars does make it look a bit ridiculous (think monster truck)....no need for that on inner city bike paths at all!!
You won't find a new 26" wheel mtb on the shop floor these days....its all 27.5 & 29er for the masses.....having said that, there are a ton of great deals going on 2nd hand sites with those dumping all their 26" stock......if you're after a bargain!! You won't be in vogue though :D
I'm on 27.5 which is fine for me....demo'd a 29er a while back and felt all wrong.

Back on topic.....Disc Brakes (Hydro) rule on MTB's.....probably not necessary on road racing bikes where caliper brakes have been doing a pretty damn good job for.........?? Plenty eh ;)

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Tim B said:
Disc brakes are back in the peloton - Dr says Ventoso's injury likely caused by a chain ring, yeah, no ****...

I await the pro peloton calling for the introduction of chain guards or rubber belt drivetrains. ;)

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Tim B said:
Disc brakes are back in the peloton - Dr says Ventoso's injury likely caused by a chain ring, yeah, no ****...

It's going to take more than that to have 'disc brakes back in the peloton'..How'd his leg get down there? He didn't fall, end up under a bike.
If you read the report that came out, the trial "IS" back on again.
How did he do it, considering the injury is on the shin of his left leg, I imagine it has hit either the cassette or chain ring as he put his foot down trying to avoid the accident. He said he crashed into the back of another rider who was also trying to avoid the accident.

Tim B said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Tim B said:

It's going to take more than that to have 'disc brakes back in the peloton'..How'd his leg get down there? He didn't fall, end up under a bike.
How did he do it, considering the injury is on the shin of his left leg, I imagine it has hit either the cassette or chain ring as he put his foot down trying to avoid the accident. He said he crashed into the back of another rider who was also trying to avoid the accident.

I guess I don't understand why no cycling news link or web site is reporting it then.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
PvjSPJ0.jpg

Diadora

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Tim B said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Tim B said:

I guess I don't understand why no cycling news link or web site is reporting it then.
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/leaked-notes-reveal-that-uci-will-restart-disc-brake-trial-in-june/

avanti said:
King Boonen said:
Master50 said:
tim the injury was on his right leg. spend a bit more time with the pictures. they are a bit deceptive but it is his right leg.

Errr... No, it's definitely his left leg.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/12973607_10156809485095611_263442435071413915_o.jpg

What make of shoes is he wearing? It seems strange that the lace adjusters would be between his feet and the chain ring/FD

They're not, they're on the outside and it's definitely his left leg otherwise he has the strangest muscle structure I've ever seen.

Tim B said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Tim B said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Tim B said:

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/leaked-notes-reveal-that-uci-will-restart-disc-brake-trial-in-june/

Doctor from WFSGI(World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry (WFSGI) — essentially an industry lobbying group for Olympic sports), I'm sure he wasn't paid to say what he did. I guess it will start, I guess some large $ changed hands. I'm thinking sram has a lot at stake here.

May 21, 2010
Visit site

Tim B said:

Apparently you didn't watch this:

JackRabbitSlims said:
...the clip is 50mins long, but it's a nice production and showcases some beautiful NZ Sth Island scenery if you can be bothered ?? https://vimeo.com/162304646 - plus the race looks pretty damn cool!

I'll help you out. Go to 26:03. He cuts himself on a rotor disc.

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Elagabalus said:
Tim B said:

Apparently you didn't watch this:

JackRabbitSlims said:
...the clip is 50mins long, but it's a nice production and showcases some beautiful NZ Sth Island scenery if you can be bothered ?? https://vimeo.com/162304646 - plus the race looks pretty damn cool!

I'll help you out. Go to 26:03. He cuts himself on a rotor disc.
I'm not sure what your point is? What has that got to do with disc brake trials in the UCI pro peloton?

I never said anyone couldn't cut themselves on a rotor (although there are videos out there of people stopping a spinning wheel by putting their hand on a rotor and not causing any damage) but that in the case of Ventoso, it was likely caused by a chain ring. I can google up some chain ring injuries for you if you like?

May 21, 2010
Visit site

Tim B said:
I'm not sure what your point is? What has that got to do with disc brake trials in the UCI pro peloton...?

To show that it is possible to be cut from a rotor.

Tim B said:
...I never said anyone couldn't cut themselves on a rotor (although there are videos out there of people stopping a spinning wheel by putting their hand on a rotor and not causing any damage) but that in the case of Ventoso, it was likely caused by a chain ring. I can google up some chain ring injuries for you if you like....?

Chainring injuries usually have some greasy teeth marks around the wound. But if you want to google chainring injuries who am I to stop you.

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Elagabalus said:
Tim B said:
I'm not sure what your point is? What has that got to do with disc brake trials in the UCI pro peloton...?

To show that it is possible to be cut from a rotor.

Tim B said:
...I never said anyone couldn't cut themselves on a rotor (although there are videos out there of people stopping a spinning wheel by putting their hand on a rotor and not causing any damage) but that in the case of Ventoso, it was likely caused by a chain ring. I can google up some chain ring injuries for you if you like....?

Chainring injuries usually have some greasy teeth marks around the wound. But if you want to google chainring injuries who am I to stop you.
When was the last time you saw a greasy chainring on a pro bike?