• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Discouraged and 6 weeks to go

Im training for another century that I had little problem with last year. This year between illness, HEAT and other issues, my mileage sucks. I managed a 40 mile training ride in 100+ degree weather but paid dearly.

Any advice to make the most of the last six weeks. At least I have some base aerobic work. Im getting nervous. I've never quit anything. Im just not where I was last year.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I trained in the heat of North Florida for over a decade. I can relate to burnout from the weather.

So...

To whip yourself into shape for a centure, I suggest several hard interval workouts (2-3) per week. Go out early. I used to make sure I got up early enough so that I was rolling worn the driveway just as it was light enough out to be safe.

For some hard interval workouts that will take an hour or less, you can message me or check online sites.

The concept is pretty simple, though. Bust your bumm it's nice and cool(ish) out.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If you can bust out 50's regularly, 100 is no problem. I'd just up the mileage to where you could knock out 50 without trouble and then ride longer on game day. If you can do 40's, you're basically almost there.

If you're just puking out for no good reason, you could have a hydration issue and you may need to force/coax yourself to drink a lot more fluids 3-5 days prior to the ride. Once you're down, there's almost no way to catch up if it's hot.

Thanks for the input. I really think I have hydration issues. I take 'enough' water but I sweat like a madman and it feels lately after mile 30, Ive been caught by the dehydration peleton.

I guess my new plan is to bust out some hard rides in the week 20-30 at high a pace as I can and try to up the weekend mileage. I love riding so much , I have just been disgusted with myself prepping for this century. I trained crazy over the winter, hours on the trainer and I feel the month of july set me back.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Maaaaybe you're working TOO hard.....?

It's easy to burn out and work so hard that you're actually grinding yourself into the dirt. Maybe you should try doing a couple weeks at lower-intensity say running or rowing / elliptical / whatever at the gym. Hard workouts are good, but only if you allow yourself to recover. Keep it under 70% of max HR for a while and see if you start feeling better.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
zealot66 said:
Im training for another century that I had little problem with last year. This year between illness, HEAT and other issues, my mileage sucks. I managed a 40 mile training ride in 100+ degree weather but paid dearly.

Any advice to make the most of the last six weeks. At least I have some base aerobic work. Im getting nervous. I've never quit anything. Im just not where I was last year.

It sounds like you're tired, mentally and physically.

You need some time off. There is no amount of training at this point that will give you any benefit.

A few days or more off the bike, then some easy recovery rides to keep you loose may do wonders for you.

Nervous? ..... Look ... no one's forcing you to ride, are they? Are you having fun? Do you enjoy riding? Feel good? If you don't ..... this is a sure sign of physical or mental fatigue.

Screw the goal ..... just take some rest and start enjoying yourself. Is the goal worth running yourself into the ground? By continuing, you're almost guaranteeing yourself you won't be able to reach it.

Again I appreciate the responses on this forum. Alot of places arent friendly. Im beginning to understand whats going on mentally. Alot of my first century last year was mental. I just LOVED the fact I was doing it. I did the best work I could leading up and just loved the ride that I had. Hydration is an issue. Im just going to enjoy the training for this great sport. And Ill make it. My heart wont let me quit. I think its different in training. Coming from a demanding sport, I tend to chastise myself over training but really for a non competitive century, I just need to train as much as I can , rest and show up. Helps to talk it out, even for us Non Pro Peloton members. haha:D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Hey zealot66 ..... When I did my first century when I was 20, and it took me 7 hours. I trained all summer, and it was the best I could do. I also enjoyed it. I found later on when I could do them in a little over 4 hours, I didn't enjoy them so much. Fast, yes ..... but it wasn't any fun. It felt like a tail waggin' the dog. Who was in charge? Me, or the perfectionism of more speed ?

If you can get some rest and up your hydration, I don't think you'll have any problem completing the century with your base of miles. I've done 80-90 mile rides with a base of two hour rides as my longest. The key was .... I was having fun. I really didn't think about the miles. I think our mind is our biggest obstacle, and our greatest asset.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Is this by any chance the Sandy Creek Hilly Challenge Century? (I volunteered at the Tour de Stooges a couple of years, so I'm still on the Hosteling International e-mail list).
Have you considered switching to the metric century just for this year? You can still enjoy the scenery and camaraderie, and your next six weeks on a bike. I live in Southern Illinois and have done my walking at 4:00 AM all summer so I just deal with the humidity and not the heat index. Cooler days will be here soon. Cheers

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I want to second what has been said in regards to relaxing a little in regards to that century. Take it easy for a week and drink a lot of fluids and let your body recover. The heat can definitely fry your body and your brain. I was out riding last weekend - I left the house at 11am for a 45 mile ride and 30 miles into my ride it was 105 degress and I was literally cooking. I did the same ride this morning but left an hour and half earlier, plus it was not as hot today, and I had a fantastic ride. What a difference a week makes! And just think, you have a few weeks before that century. Relax, hydrate, mix it up, take it easy, and have some fun. No use getting stressed out about the ride. On the day of the ride if you're feeling good then good for you. If you are not feeling great, it certainly is not the end of the world if you have to shorten the ride. Listen to your body and make sure to feed it and your brain!

Im doing the Century ride for the MS 150. I dont want the two day option so they offer the 104 mile one day ride. Its hilly, rated 4 out of 5 for difficulty. Im just kicking it this weekend and will pick up training again this week. all your advice is helpful. I think the post above about over prioritizing performance over enjoying the moment is what drags me down. Ive tried hard to improve my cycling performance hoping to race next year. But Ill just pedal one stroke at a time on this one..Really, thanks for the advice. makes all the sense. I dont have alot of cycling buddies so this place is a friendly way to make some contacts. 5 weeks to go, I can get it done.

BTW, on thursday still feeling down, I went to the gym where they have a pretty good exercise bike you can fit to almost your own bike and power meter, rpm, etc. My numbers were good. I just cranked it up for an hour and Im actually doing better than I was this time last year, so I think the problem here is heat hydration and just over expecting things from myself. I also got word of a money making opportunity this next two months to save up for a new bike,an upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS