• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dissertation Questionnaire - Motivations for Road Cycling

Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

For my University dissertation, I am investigating motivations for Road Cycling and the impact of new technology on the cycling experience, and am looking for road cyclists to answer my questionnaire. If you have 5-10 minutes to complete it to help my research, I would really appreciate that. Here is the link:

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch
Sorry, but I'm not going to answer the survey questions - I realize that the 'data' from a survey is useful for numerical display and analysis, but I just get frustrated answering a bunch of questions and I don't think are very informative.

For me, the primary motivation for Road Cycling (primarily recreational riding at a brisk, but not intense 'athletic training', pace is the solitude (and sometimes social aspects). A BIG reason for choosing road cycling is that it is fast enough to travel some distance (30-50 miles) and be able to go outside of my nearby neighborhood. The pace is also slow enough to be able to see the scenery and activity. Another important aspect for me is being able to leave directly from my home.
A deterrent to road cycling is dangerous roads, and not being able to do continuous riding (traffic lights, delays, etc.).

Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm not going to answer the survey questions - I realize that the 'data' from a survey is useful for numerical display and analysis, but I just get frustrated answering a bunch of questions and I don't think are very informative.

For me, the primary motivation for Road Cycling (primarily recreational riding at a brisk, but not intense 'athletic training', pace is the solitude (and sometimes social aspects). A BIG reason for choosing road cycling is that it is fast enough to travel some distance (30-50 miles) and be able to go outside of my nearby neighborhood. The pace is also slow enough to be able to see the scenery and activity. Another important aspect for me is being able to leave directly from my home.
A deterrent to road cycling is dangerous roads, and not being able to do continuous riding (traffic lights, delays, etc.).
I can understand that, but you have given me a useful perspective regardless on the motivations which I will for sure take into account in my analysis so thanks for your input.

Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

For my University dissertation, I am investigating motivations for Road Cycling and the impact of new technology on the cycling experience, and am looking for road cyclists to answer my questionnaire. If you have 5-10 minutes to complete it to help my research, I would really appreciate that. Here is the link:

Thanks in advance!
Don't forget to tell us the results of your research!

TRENDING THREADS