• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disturbing Horner interview

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
horner is not one of my favs by any means but damn thats a bit disturbing indeed. he was completely confused. just goes to show how tough cyclists are.

on a small funny note: he sounds a bit like a hilly billy :p

It's a hard trait to hide, trust me! :p

On a serious note, get well Horner!

just some guy said:
there is no way he can ride tomorrow - if he was a footballer he would not playing next week

A footballer would at least have ran the wrong way, or missed the ball he was aiming for. Cycling in a way is easy. You can be "away" for several seconds and just stay on course. The mind is able to keep pedaling, it's almost like keeping the heart beating. That to me is not about being tough, it just makes it more dangerous a sport to take part in. Horses apparently can run themselves down on an empty beach? Bike riders may under such concussed conditions be able to do so on a road packed with riders and team cars.

I hope that if I'd been there as a rider, and noticing Chris' grogginess, I'd have radio'd for the race doc. Not even the team doc. What precedent does this have, a rider riding on legs alone, no mind? Simpson?

A

Anonymous

Yea, it isn't like assessing a concussion is some new thing. If it was that obvious that long after the accident that he was completely out of it mentally, there is no way he sounded better right after the accident. DANGEROUS failure on Johan and the race medical staff's part.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This does not look good for Horner. Even if he might want to continue himself, he needs to be taken out of the race, if it is as bad as it looks. If there is a concussion, or even a probable concussion the team needs to take him out of the race. It looks worse than with Boonen and he was taking out during the stage today for his own, and the other riders their safety.

this is actually reminding me of joaquim agostinho

not wanting to scare any1 tho and lets remember that this are other times.

Death

Agostinho was leading the Tour of the Algarve at Quarteira in April 1984 when a dog ran into the race a few hundred metres before the finish.[13] Agostinho hit it and fell to the ground, hitting his head. He remounted and crossed the line accompanied by other riders.[14] He was dazed but seemed otherwise unhurt. He walked to an ambulance, holding his head.[5] He then went to a hotel, where his head was dressed in ice. Two hours later he was taken to hospital in Faro, where an X-ray showed he had broken the parietal bone in his skull. He was taken by ambulance, four hours after his fall, the 400 km to Lisbon, the nearest city that could treat him. He fell into a coma in the ambulance and never emerged.

A

Anonymous

kurtinsc said:
He did spend a good amount of time with the race doctor after the crash. I wonder if this got worse as he rode.

Not unless his concussion is different from every other one in the world.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
:eek::eek:

We saw him being "assessed" by the race doctor not long after he got back on his bike. Just what questions were they asking him?!

He could have passed out while riding his bike alone to the finish and hit his head again. Not good at all!

I was also concerned that the medical staff let Boonen finish the other day with his head injury.

I know it's an important bike race but it's still just a bike race.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Part of me wants to joke about how he's a redneck and is always confused after races or that it's just senility :( but that worries me. I was looking forward to him in the mountains, now I just hope for positive test results.

Hoping for the best.

TRENDING THREADS