• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disturbing Horner interview

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
I nominate this as dumbest post of the week.

Have to agree with you. It shows how unprofessional professional cycling is. Teams spend all their time arguing about radio use on the basis of safety and protecting riders and here they are putting concussed riders back on bikes, or in the case of boonen starting a stage while vomiting. It's appalling, in rugby or football u would be out without discussion people die from these types of injuries. However in cycling we have managers placing riders at risk because of the commercial imperative. Don't tell me the riders choose, they need protection and shouldn't be allowed to. I always admire the tenacity of a rider who gets back up and gets going with a few cuts n bruises but this is just wrong. Dangers of concussion are well known, but yet again we see how in the dark ages cycling is when it comes down to people management and the duty of care.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear. Was expected. Sorry for the guy, he does come across as a exceedingly nice fellow, no matter the rest. Hope he can make something out of the rest of his season.

Allthough I was realllly looking forward to see him in the mountains this year I'm really happy they took him out of the race.

He obviously has an rather bad concussion and if he would ride on that would be completely crazy. The fact they let Boonen ride for 2 more days was ridiculous as well.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
altogether disturbing indeed. for some reason the video hit me hard and the VS coverage was painful especially the pre stage interview when Chris himself said that his mom texted him to stay safe that morning..... not sure I even want to ride tomorrow myself

goodspeed chris

thoughts and prayers

Alpe d'Huez said:
Big disappointment here too. But glad he's stepped down from the race. Sucks that he's crashed at some of the least opportune times in some of the biggest races, but that TOC win is looking like a great achievement at this point.

Indeed. Let's hope for Chris that he can focus on the Vuelta now.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Big disappointment here too. But glad he's stepped down from the race. Sucks that he's crashed at some of the least opportune times in some of the biggest races, but that TOC win is looking like a great achievement at this point.

Which rates with the tour of turkey and the tour of malaysia. For the work he's done over the years he deserves better.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
VeloGirl said:
And let's not forget Boonen. His concussion may not have been that obvious during the stage - fine, but at the hotel....he was throwing up, had sensitivity to light and sound and had a bad headache. He should have been at the hospital as well.

When Johnny Hoogerland has more sense than the DS and teamdoctors there's something wrong in cycling.

Does the doctor have authority to demand that a rider stop? Does he have authority to do anything other than recommend and persuade?

And how much confidence would he have had that the ASO would defend him against the wrath of some of the more outspoken, and potentially litigious, team managers?

Was there communication between the doctor's car and that of the team managemment?

craig1985 said:
Yeah but if you have a serious crash/accident in the UK, ..., and you don't speak English, or at least your fluency isn't that great, how many doctors are you going to find that speak another language?
Maybe you don't have much experience of the staff profile in the NHS ;)

Armchair cyclist said:
Does the doctor have authority to demand that a rider stop? Does he have authority to do anything other than recommend and persuade?

And how much confidence would he have had that the ASO would defend him against the wrath of some of the more outspoken, and potentially litigious, team managers?

Was there communication between the doctor's car and that of the team managemment?

The race doctor situated a ambulance behind Hornor for the remaining 25km. She was worried for him.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
its really sad to see chris horner like that. really. but he kinda sounds like a cowboy.

It was kind of tragic, and just hope the guy is OK and with no lasting damage. He was like a hillbilly on acid but on a bike and not a horse.

The people at the Spanish forum are insane lol, look what they came up with:

TxHuU.jpg

the delgados said:
As is yours. Can I come live with you? Mom says it's past my bedtime.

If it Was 'The Delgado' (Singular) I'd consider it after a deep background check. But it's really that 's' on the end of Delgado that was your ultimate downfall.

PS (AGAIN): And by the way, versus (which means EPIC FAIL in English) did not ask him if he should have pulled Horner from the race immediately yesterday or if he regretted not pulling him and of course the blowhard expressed no regret or shame on his own and actually said it was the hematoma that kept Horner from starting and not a severe concussion! Let the rubbing of salt begin. JB, you had a night to sleep on it and you STILL can't stop from being a horse's @ss. You not only deserve the piling on you get, you invite it.

Has anyone seen any hardball questions asked of Radio Shack staff in any real media over their thinking? (links please)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:

I've never been to the doctors in England, so no, I wouldn't.

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

That's a good perspective. Chris has not had what you'd call a stellar career filled with wins, even tho he's had a good career. But it's nice he got the ToC win before he retires. (I'm not saying he is retiring either... just at age 39 that day must be getting close)

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Does the doctor have authority to demand that a rider stop? Does he have authority to do anything other than recommend and persuade? QUOTE]

Matt Rendall mentioned on twitter that they can only advise they are not allowed to make them stop

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Califer Hill said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Matt Rendall mentioned on twitter that they can only advise they are not allowed to make them stop

I think the fact that the race doctor arranged for an ambulance with doctor on board to accompany Horner to the finish indicates what he would have done if he'd had the authority. Bruyneel is the only one who could have stopped Horner. He ought to be ashamed of himself.

Mr. O'Clock

BANNED
Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
ggusta said:
If it Was 'The Delgado' (Singular) I'd consider it after a deep background check. But it's really that 's' on the end of Delgado that was your ultimate downfall.

PS (AGAIN): And by the way, versus (which means EPIC FAIL in English) did not ask him if he should have pulled Horner from the race immediately yesterday or if he regretted not pulling him and of course the blowhard expressed no regret or shame on his own and actually said it was the hematoma that kept Horner from starting and not a severe concussion! Let the rubbing of salt begin. JB, you had a night to sleep on it and you STILL can't stop from being a horse's @ss. You not only deserve the piling on you get, you invite it.

Has anyone seen any hardball questions asked of Radio Shack staff in any real media over their thinking? (links please)

As a sorts manager would a coach pull a quarterback out of the super bowl after a hard sacking.? would the coach be required to answer to the fans of football. curious that in cycling there are so many armchair quarterbacks. as far as Horner or any other hardcore veteran top tier cyclists go they would not volunteeringly withdrawal from the worlds' greatest cycling event.
horner wold have likely started if not for his leg injury.

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Just seen this...really insane to let someone in that state continue, even if it is for 'just' 25 Ks. The fact is that a rider always will try to get up on his bike, sometimes they have to be protected. I mean, we just seen what happened to Soler, who after a crash got bakc on his bike to pass out a couple of Ks later. Shouldn't they have learned something from that?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel gave a short interview to Dutch tv before the start of today's stage, during which he said that Horner would be staying in hospital 'for observation', but that his mind was 'back to normal'. It wasn't entirely clear to me if that meant that Horner had gotten his 'lost' memory back, or if he was simply lucid in the present.

Either way it's positive news, and I echo all those who hope he can do something special in the Vuelta.

Amsterhammer said:
Bruyneel gave a short interview to Dutch tv before the start of today's stage, during which he said that Horner would be staying in hospital 'for observation', but that his mind was 'back to normal'. It wasn't entirely clear to me if that meant that Horner had gotten his 'lost' memory back, or if he was simply lucid in the present.

Either way it's positive news, and I echo all those who hope he can do something special in the Vuelta.

Somehow I am having doubts about what comes out of Bruyneel's mouth.

Sure hope Chris IS really back to normal and not just spew from JB.

TRENDING THREADS