• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do sprinters have a realistic chance in Richmond?

Probably not, but it's not that selective either. Total elevation gain is around 1650m, and Governor Street is not that good a climb to get away, if some teams, which even by the end shouldn't have lost many riders - unless the distance comes to play a big role - are willing to reel attackers back. On the other hand, it's 'only' 700 meters false flat from the top of the climb to the finish, so I don't really know. There are some serious guys who lose nothing by attacking, actually. One of them is Valverde, who should have a free role if Spain focuses on Lobato. I guess it's one of those profiles you look at and imagine anything can happen.

I wouldn't mind if Gesink pulled a Québec, either.

There are a few possibilities to make a good sprinters' worlds in Denmark, and København 2011 took precisely none of them. It was up there with Zolder. Richmond can't be that bad. Geelong was an example of how to do a sprinters' Worlds course right.

As for Richmond, sprinters like Kristoff, Degenkolb (these two should probably be amongst the biggest favourites at the time of writing), Demare, Sagan, Meersman perhaps? Maybe Matthews but I don't know if it's a bit too rouleur for him, those are the ones who will mix it up here. Cav and Kittel not so much.

Pulling for Jürgen Roelandts.

Since this topic is here I think I can ask this question here:

Since Mathieu Van der Poel chose to race with the Elites in the Cyclo-Cross WCh in Tabor and since he is selected in the Dutch Elite Team (alongside Terpstra) for the Baku European Games, is he able to race in Richmond with the U23 or if he wishes to start he is obliged to do it with the Elites?

Re:

Ricco' said:

Since Mathieu Van der Poel chose to race with the Elites in the Cyclo-Cross WCh in Tabor and since he is selected in the Dutch Elite Team (alongside Terpstra) for the Baku European Games, is he able to race in Richmond with the U23 or if he wishes to start he is obliged to do it with the Elites?

U-23, he was younger than 23 at the beginning of the year and he is on a Continental team.

Re: Re:

GP Blanco said:
Ricco' said:

U-23, he was younger than 23 at the beginning of the year and he is on a Continental team.

Yeah, normally that would be the case.

But as he chose to race with the elites in the Cyclo-Cross he can't go the U23 World Cyclo-Cross Championships anymore. My question is if that rule applies to all types of cycling or just only to cyclo-cross.

Re:

Carols said:
Since Richmond is actually on my continent I would like to attend. But the course is really not difficult at all, very disappointing actually. I think Dekenkolb and his type will be the most likely winners on that course.

Yeah, I'm kinda planning on going myself but I'm going to be digusted if it's another Degenkolb win. I'm really hoping it will be a bit more selective. Just once, I'd like to see a Worlds at the top of climb for a bit of a change.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Since Richmond is actually on my continent I would like to attend. But the course is really not difficult at all, very disappointing actually. I think Dekenkolb and his type will be the most likely winners on that course.

Same here. It's not too far for me, as Philly to Richmond is easy. Might even be worthwhile to make an extended weekend out of it.

I'm sure Degenkolb and Kittel are excited for it.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Cav has a good shot in my opinion. The course is really easy and he's the type of sprinter who can still do a strong sprint when he's tired. But after a long race Kristoff is probably the favourite.

Mathieu van der Poel to win the U23 one of course. :p