• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

• Not really but his racing style can annoy me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Angliru said:
How would you have tactically approached the scenario that Cancellara was in at MSR? How would you have handled it differently?
Attacked later

EDIT: Or sooner. Either he should have followed Nibali and Gerrans when Nibs attacked, or (if he couldn't follow them then) he should have attacked on the flat after Poggio. Then Gerrans and Nibs would have been completely toasted.

EDIT 2: Or have ice enough in his stomach to force Gerrans to pull in the final. The reason riders don't pull when with Canc is that he has showed that if others won't pull, he is happy to pull the others to the line. If he a time or two forced others to pull, and perhaps got caught, other riders would help pull, as to ensure to get to the line. But as it is now others can just say 'no thanks' and they will get to the line anyways.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
No.

Boonen rightfully was.

Based on losing the E3, right? ;)

No they were at least equal in being a favorite. I'm pretty sure Canc was considered as the topfavorite by many.

And Elpist, Canc proved he could win the E3. He won paris-roubaix and milan-sanremo.

He was pretty good in RVV'07 but he went too early.

Name one other guy who did this and wasn't considered a favorite to win RVV?

Everyone in the peloton knew at that point Canc had it in him to win the RVV. No one underrated this guy.

Miburo said:
Based on losing the E3, right? ;)

No they were at least equal in being a favorite. I'm pretty sure Canc was considered as the topfavorite by many.

And Elpist, Canc proved he could win the E3. He won paris-roubaix and milan-sanremo.

He was pretty good in RVV'07 but he went too early.

Name one other guy who did this and wasn't considered a favorite to win RVV?

Everyone in the peloton knew at that point Canc had it in him to win the RVV. No one underrated this guy.
Where was he then in '08 and '09?

Netserk said:
Where was he then in '08 and '09?

probably not watching cycling, milburo i mean. . . .

up to 2010 cancellara had never done anything that made people think he was on the same level as boonen.

Boonen had won the 2 previous roubaix editions and a team mate had won the 2 previous rondes while boonen appeared to be the strongest of the race but both times was set back by team tactics.

cancellara had a very bad 09 spring season( mostly due to injury, much like boonens 2011 season, where they raced but clearly weren't at their best) and had been easily beaten in 08 by boonen who played with ballan and cancellara at roubaix like if they were toys.

so ya over cobbles (and this is the key word) even after E3 no1 thought cancellara was a bigger favourite for the ronde and roubaix then boonen.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
probably not watching cycling, milburo i mean. . . .

up to 2010 cancellara had never done anything that made people think he was on the same level as boonen.

Boonen had won the 2 previous roubaix editions and a team mate had won the 2 previous rondes while boonen appeared to be the strongest of the race but both times was set back by team tactics.

cancellara had a very bad 09 spring season and had been easily beaten in 08 by boonen who played with ballan and cancellara at roubaix like if they were toys.

so ya over cobbles (and this is the key word) even after E3 no1 thought cancellara was a bigger favourite for the ronde and roubaix then boonen.

That's not true. They were the 2 topfavorites. And if i remember correctly canc was slightly considered more dangerous by some.

The only pro-argument for Boonen was that he seemed to be better on the cobbled hills in '10. That's true and he knew the parcours like no one else of course.

And yeah Canc wasn't great in Rvv '08. Happens. Besides Canc seemed already over his top at that point after winning T-A and MSR.

09 was because of injury of course.

Btw i'm actually a Boonen fan, I know...:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Attacked later

EDIT: Or sooner. Either he should have followed Nibali and Gerrans when Nibs attacked, or (if he couldn't follow them then) he should have attacked on the flat after Poggio. Then Gerrans and Nibs would have been completely toasted.

EDIT 2: Or have ice enough in his stomach to force Gerrans to pull in the final. The reason riders don't pull when with Canc is that he has showed that if others won't pull, he is happy to pull the others to the line. If he a time or two forced others to pull, and perhaps got caught, other riders would help pull, as to ensure to get to the line. But as it is now others can just say 'no thanks' and they will get to the line anyways.

When the came off the downhill onto the flat they were probably going full blast, as fast as they could trying to hold off the peloton, who were doing the same not far behind them. So I doubt he would have been able to put in another acceleration at the pace they were going.

I agree Cancellara needs to change up his tactics, but I don't think a different tactic would have done all that much in the situation they had in MSR. If any change of tactics the best would probably be to attack later like you originally said. but then again if he hadn't done some pulling soon after Nibali's attack they might not have stayed away, the peloton wasn't that far back when Nibali attacked.

Afrank said:
When the came off the downhill onto the flat they were probably going full blast, as fast as they could trying to hold off the peloton, who were doing the same not far behind them. So I doubt he would have been able to put in another acceleration at the pace they were going.

I agree Cancellara needs to change up his tactics, but I don't think a different tactic would have done all that much in the situation they had in MSR. If any change of tactics the best would probably be to attack later like you originally said. but then again if he hadn't done some pulling soon after Nibali's attack they might not have stayed away, the peloton wasn't that far back when Nibali attacked.
I didn't mean that he should attack a second time, but delay his attack.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
Not really, purito tried to drop Froome with his typical 500m sprint. That wasn't taking over to help Froome just trying to get solo to Contador.

Looked easy on the pedals there with Purito. If he'd gone full gas there not even Froome's alien ancestors could've helped him. :p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Looked easy on the pedals there with Purito. If he'd gone full gas there not even Froome's alien ancestors could've helped him. :p

It's obvious purito went all out, why wouldn't he at that point. That climb was almost over as you can see.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
It's obvious purito went all out, why wouldn't he at that point. That climb was almost over as you can see.

He handled it perfectly, giving Froome a wheel to hang on at the climb, and letting Froome lead on the flat and descent.

After Purito started chasing they closed the gap, but why would he be going all out? He's just relaying there, not sprinting at all.