• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do you use a Mt. Bike helmet on the road?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What's the difference? If you are not in Time Trial do you need that aero design at the back of the helmet? If you are climbing in the heat won't a mt. bike helmet offer as much comfort and ventilation as a road bike helmet?

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
to be honest - unless you're doing a TT, a helmet is a helmet. just make sure it fits correctly and is comfortable.

don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Can't think of a valid argument for buying a road specific helmet. If you ride road and mt bikes, why have 2 helmets. TT is a different story, but that has been mentioned.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Apparently at the top price end of things, there is indeed a difference in design of the vents , because of the different angle one's head is at in the mountain bike and road bike riding position.

My answer to the subject line: yes, without the visor (but usually wearing a cycling cap under the helmet).

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
mtb lids have about 10% more impact protection and the design covers more of the rear of the head, bell and giro about 10-15mm lower.

the aero lid is a faring - primary design is for aero flow not protection so only use in at TT and ONLY if you can ride over 24mph average.

visor is fantastic on mtb lids, acts same as a sunvisor in a car, cutting off the horizon. works well for riders who dont like sunglasses

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I bought a slick looking Uvex helmet with a visor, precisely for multi purposoe riding (Road, MTB, commuting). For use on the road bike I took off the visor and turned out looking like Dimspaces's avatar.

I don't mind the look but what a difference the visor made on the looks of the thing.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I do. I like the visor. I also like the cheap price, as I prefer to replace me helmet every few years, I just buy a low-end (~$50) Bell.

TRENDING THREADS