• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do you wish Bernard Kohl well with his new Business??

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Bernard Kohl has opened a Bike shop in Vienna, ok so how do you all feel about it?? Do you wish him success with it & let bygones be bygones etc?? Ill go first & say i wasnt sure up till recently. Then i realised hes in business & is trying to make a new life for himself in order to keep in some contact with something he obviously loved. I loathed what he did in the Tour sure but i wont be too put out if his shop takes off for him. I cant see anything wrong with opening a business like that, doubtless some will disagree strongly but i thought this would be an interesting discussion & maybe we can keep The Texan out of this? Or i will give a prize to the person who can include him in the most bizarre way.

I hope his bike shop does a lot better than his centrifuge business.

But being less flippant, he's picking up the pieces of his life and getting on with things. I cannot wish him anything but the best.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Bernard Kohl is a legend. Smashed the Omerta. He was obviously one of the 'dragged', as opposed to the 'draggers (i.e., the Texan ;))', in Walsh's terms. You'd have to be a hatefull a-hole to hate those type of guys. Hate the game not the player, etc.

I have to agree with sars1981 that you'd have to be a huge a$$ to hate Kohl. He handled his positive the best way possible in my view. He didn't claim to be innocent and drag it out, he admitted his mistakes and moved on. "I didn't ask for a counter-analysis: this masquerade was over."

I hope his shop does well.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I hope that it does well too. He cheated - no question, and odiously too. He admitted it - as many others do when pushed. But he did more to try to break omerta, actually did testify, and is now doing lectures in schools abuopt how doping is bad, m'kay. None of the other "repentants" who have been happily welcomed back into the peloton and the hearts of fans (Vino, Basso, Millar for examples) did as much as this, yet Kohl is still quite loathed by some. When next I am in Vienna, and I have time, I would make the trip to see it, and to wish him well.

Unless, of course, he has the maillot a pois framed or mounted in the shop.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
If anybody has an understanding of the matter, id like to know how Omerta usually affects a guy like Kohl? Does he get ostracised by his former peers who still uphold the code?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Good that he said some stuff, could've said more though.

Anyway, as long as he isn't cycling professionally, I couldn't give a sh*t what he does, so good luck to him.

My question, meant with no snarkiness whatsoever, is does that feeling apply to all busted cheats? For clarifcation I'm quoting you but not necessarily trying to "target" you. I think there are quite a few that share this feeling so this is more of an open question...

Does he not deserve a second chance once he's served his suspension? Regardless of his endeavors? If he opts to jump back in, find a team (albeit unlikely given his candor), and compete again, will you hold him in such disrepute?

Given the likelihood that the number of busted cheats riding in the peloton today is lower than the number who cheat or have cheated on not been caught, how can we shun Kohl and not the others?

----

And to the OP, I wish him luch in his endeavors and hope he has found solace within himself.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Kohl being honest with himself speaks better of his character than say a Valverde or a Ricco, who denies everything and admits to nothing. I wonder if Kohl will be snubbed on the side of the industry in which he now operates - selling bikes and equipment vs. racing that is.

Bluebeard said:
Unless, of course, he has the maillot a pois framed or mounted in the shop.
Of course if we know for sure that the other riders fighting for that shirt were not cheating, then that's OK.;)

1 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner 128 pts
2 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 80
3 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 80
4 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 65
5 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Gerolsteiner 62
6 Stefan Schumacher (Ger) Gerolsteiner 61
7 John-Lee Augustyn (RSA) Barloworld 61
8 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 58
9 Rémy Di Grégorio (Fra) Française des Jeux 52
10 Egoi Martinez De Esteban (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 51

Maybe Thomas Voeckler can be mad. So maybe he can go to his shop and complain about it.:D

I wish him nothing but the best. Everybody deserves second chances. I am happy for him. Especially Kohl which seemed very repentant. He did not even try to come back to the sport in which he thought that he had to dope again in order to race. So pretty much He said, “No Thanks”.

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
Of course if we know for sure that the other riders fighting for that shirt were not cheating, then that's OK.;)

I wish him nothing but the best. Everybody deserves second chances. I am happy for him. Especially Kohl which seemed very repentant. He did not even try to come back to the sport in which he thought that he had to dope again in order to race. So pretty much He said, “No Thanks”.

+1. It'd be hypocritical to complain about Omerta but then wish ill on those who have the guts to break it.

A

Anonymous

A Bike shop, in Vienna...

What kind of living can a guy make that way? Isn't Vienna a pretty expensive place? Have to sell a lot of bikes... or whatever. Who are his customers going to be? Uber motivated TdF wannabes? "Hey Bernie, I need a tube of tire glue, a pair of socks and ....(pssst something to get me over that damn mountain next weekend. Any "advise"?)" Old habits are hard to break, lets hope he sticks to bikes.

rlj3bc.png

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The Economist Intelligence Unit just published their list of the world's most livable cities (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/09/2592740.htm). The top three were Vancouver, Vienna, and Melbourne. The top 10 cities were rounded out by Toronto, Perth, Calgary, Helsinki and Geneva, with Sydney and Zurich. Notice anything about these cities? They're all bloody expensive to live in. So I think Kohl should do very well. Plenty of money, beautiful city, easy access to the mountains.

I also wish him all the best. No one should have to pay permanently for their mistakes, especially if no one was hurt by those mistakes. He has been fairly honest, a great deal more honest than most, and this should be encouraged so more riders may break the Omerta. He has also obviously done a lot of soul searching and it sounds like he is in a good position now and more comfortable in his own skin. So good on him. I hope he does well.

brewerjeff said:
What kind of living can a guy make that way? Isn't Vienna a pretty expensive place? Have to sell a lot of bikes... or whatever. Who are his customers going to be? Uber motivated TdF wannabes? "Hey Bernie, I need a tube of tire glue, a pair of socks and ....(pssst something to get me over that damn mountain next weekend. Any "advise"?)" Old habits are hard to break, lets hope he sticks to bikes.

rlj3bc.png

elapid said:
The Economist Intelligence Unit just published their list of the world's most livable cities (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/09/2592740.htm). The top three were Vancouver, Vienna, and Melbourne. The top 10 cities were rounded out by Toronto, Perth, Calgary, Helsinki and Geneva, with Sydney and Zurich. Notice anything about these cities? They're all bloody expensive to live in. So I think Kohl should do very well. Plenty of money, beautiful city, easy access to the mountains.

I also wish him all the best. No one should have to pay permanently for their mistakes, especially if no one was hurt by those mistakes. He has been fairly honest, a great deal more honest than most, and this should be encouraged so more riders may break the Omerta. He has also obviously done a lot of soul searching and it sounds like he is in a good position now and more comfortable in his own skin. So good on him. I hope he does well.

This reminds me of the "Shoe Salesman Paradox". I am going to briefly write it since I could not find the English version of it:

“There are two shoe salesmen taking on a long trip to a far away country. When the plane landed and they came out of the plane they saw one characteristic thing in all the natives living in that country. No one had any shoes. So quickly they both rushed to a Phone booth to call their bosses. The first one said: Hey boss we wasted our time by coming here. There is no market here. The second one said to his Boss: We just became millionaires.”

Well there are a lot of opportunities in this life and everyone has a different perspective in how we view them.:)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Firstly, I can't stand what Kohl did. He's an unquestioned cheater, and only in the wake of his doping scandal is he against it. I don't like the statements he made about it being impossible to win without doping and was elated to hear about his ban and subsequent retirement. I don't think people like that have any place in a pro peloton. However, I hope this works out for him. You'd have to be a cold hearted individual to wish failure on anybody. All he knows is bikes, and being only in his late 20s, he still has a lifetime ahead of him.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah id buy a bike from him too. From what ive read hes apparently going to be there all day long. If I ever visit or anyone here does then that could be a great way to hear some more of what he has to say off the record though. Next time im in Vienna ill pop down his way for a look alright. Mind you its 10 & a half years since I was there last.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Read in Pro Cycling magazine that Kohl said his new shop will "blow people away", I guess in his mind it going to be an awesome retail experience. The idea that any of these guys are subject to any criminal proceedings is just plain funny. If a child molester got a job at a school serving meals or cleaning floors there would be a whole different standard. I am sure that while selling bikes,shoes and wheels that Kohl will be forbidden from dealing with young customers and giving them any advice.. My first coach was a Colombian and told me what to do almost every other day. I went by the shop he worked at to ask for advice on workouts and recovery. Kohl will be in a perfect spot to up the game. He knows what works,how to and not to get caught at every level other than the very,very top.Most people think crimes of sport are not "real" crimes and will buy bikes from Kohl as Christmas gifts for their children. I hope Ricco,Hamilton and Vino all have really cool bike shops as well.Maybe a post should be started for prison pen pals.Zabel is Cav's coach.Barne is running a squad come on UCI make them open bike shops.

ImmaculateKadence said:
I don't like the statements he made about it being impossible to win without doping and was elated to hear about his ban and subsequent retirement. I don't think people like that have any place in a pro peloton.

The truth hurts. It would be much better if he did not get caught so we could all pretend all the winners in the peloton were clean.

I hope owning a bike shop is a lot more lucrative in Germany than it is in the U.S...

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
No such thing as clean Kohl hahaha.

But those of us in the BikeShopBiz are very worried that Kohl will go bankrupt, become frustrated - then blow the lid off the whole "carbon is stiff yet comfortable" malarky. Noooooo...

I just hope he does not openly discuss the secret ritual invoked when becoming an Authorized Campagnolo Retailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts