• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does aero tuck risk neck injury ?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Bombing down a nice long steep grade yesterday holding my head up to view as much of the road ahead I was tempted to rest my chin on my hands; my head was tilted up as far as my neck would allow, and if I went down any lower I reckon that a good bump would smash my hands or steerer tube into my chin and possibly injure my neck, maybe even break it- I don't know. I am wondering does that happen ? There are so many hazards, potholes, cars that could be backing out etc. that I really don't want to let my head tilt down even for a moment especially when going at a good clip. I remember watching a TT last year, the rider was like a swimmer, coming up for a breath of air- taking a peek at the road ahead, and tucking back down; but he is on a closed course I can't risk that at all.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
Bombing down a nice long steep grade yesterday holding my head up to view as much of the road ahead I was tempted to rest my chin on my hands; my head was tilted up as far as my neck would allow, and if I went down any lower I reckon that a good bump would smash my hands or steerer tube into my chin and possibly injure my neck, maybe even break it- I don't know. I am wondering does that happen ? There are so many hazards, potholes, cars that could be backing out etc. that I really don't want to let my head tilt down even for a moment especially when going at a good clip. I remember watching a TT last year, the rider was like a swimmer, coming up for a breath of air- taking a peek at the road ahead, and tucking back down; but he is on a closed course I can't risk that at all.

I have seen riders crash while in a tuck and hurt their necks, but I would say though the crash was more responsible for the neck injury. What you're describing though, a chin shot causing a neck injury, I haven't seen before. Seen a few chin shots on a mountain bike, but not any that caused neck injury (to my knowledge).

A smiple answer: if you don't feel comfortable being in that position, don't get that low. Sometimes just being uncomfortable can cause you to crash.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I have seen riders crash while in a tuck and hurt their necks, but I would say though the crash was more responsible for the neck injury. What you're describing though, a chin shot causing a neck injury, I haven't seen before. Seen a few chin shots on a mountain bike, but not any that caused neck injury (to my knowledge).

A smiple answer: if you don't feel comfortable being in that position, don't get that low. Sometimes just being uncomfortable can cause you to crash.

Agree. A tight tuck does wonders, but if you are forcing your body to hold too extreme a position, your agility and control are compromised when bumps and bobbles come up. Especially bombing downhill it's important to have some reserve to handle the unexpected.

And even if it doesn't injure your neck directly, a sharp blow to the chin at max V can't be a good thing.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. It is not the aero tuck that is uncomfortable; on the contrary, it's not bad as long as I don't have to pedal; but having to hold my head up at such an angle is wearysome and of concern; I don't know how pros get to tuck on their TT bikes and watch the road at the same time for so long.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Practice, lots and lots of practice.

Though while many have ultra low, uber aero tucks there are still those who do not for whatever reason. My extreme TT position didn't happen overnight, took about 3 years of ratcheting my stem down and training in that position to get good at it.

And often you'll notice that sometime they aren't looking ahead on the road - a luxury of being able to ride the course beforehand and closed roads with a DS behind you telling you what's coming up (though this may be banned now).