• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Andy Schleck lack the mental ability to ever win the TDF?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
surprises

If it was true that Contador was experiencing knee problems why didn't the Schleck bros. attack him and put him way back in the GC? It makes no sense the way they dawdled on those two climbs in the Pyrenees.

I am not sure what games the Schlecks have been playing, but I think Contador is in better shape than many people think including A&F. He will come out of his shell in the last two climbs of the Alps. Count on it. He was just a phenomenal poetic climber in the Giro. He is ready to capture a double grand tour.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Marcuccio said:
I some times wonder if both brothers would ride better if they were on different teams..

A few yers back Armstrong wanted to bring Andy over to RS, but without Frank, as he thought his bro was holding him back. That didnt happen cos they want to stay together, but Lance was so right.

Btw they have said that they will never ride on different teams.

Brotherly love is great but it can get too much. The Feillu brothers surely also love eachother but that doesnt hold them back from riding on different teams.

The only way Andy will win one on the road is if he starts taking his profession seriously. If Alberto is banned he'll have his 1, and the chance for 1-2 more depending on how long the ban is. I don't think he'll win this one despite the gift 1:20 from the first day crash on many contenders, the wheelsucking time gain in the TTT and the lose of many contenders via crashes.

That is unless Alberto recovers, drops all the contnders for him while dragging Andy with him. And we all know that if he can Alberto will attack...

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
rides like a girl said:
Not sure I have the answer, but based on what I have seen this year and last, not sure they have a strategy, have learned from last year or know more this year. Based on what I saw last year. Watching stage 15 from last year again today, chain gate stage. As the group is going up the Port de Bales, Andy used Chris A Sorenson, Nicki Sorenson and Jacob Fugelsong to set a pace at the beginning of the mountain. Mainly CAS. CAS was the one who set a high tempo that broke up the group a bit. Not much, but a bit That is when Andy attacked. Then his chain fell off. Andy used CAS to set a high pace to set up his attack.

[SNIPPED FOR BREVITY]

Another interesting thing from stage 15 last year, chain gate, was won by Tommy V. Perhaps getting a win from a Schleck miscue. Interesting that this year Tommy V got his lead on a stage that Thor, Fabian and seemingly Andy (he clapped his hands high overhead as it was happening) agreed to partially neutralize. A Schleck miscue could again give the win to Tommy V.

I see what you're saying, but I have a difficult time comparing the tactics from last year and this year. With Frank out of the race everything changed for them.....but with Contador gaining so much time today, I don't think they can rely on the two pronged attack anymore. They need to isolate AC and attack; Leopard's domestiques don't have the climbing legs needed to really isolate him. The high mountains of the alps just got even more interesting. Everything I thought they were trying to do changed today; I did not expect them to lose that much time. I thought a little, but....:(

That is interesting about Tommy V. I like those little connections that seem trivial but make you wonder

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
Andy complaining that descent finishes shouldn't be allowed.
Poor sport.

Is he really? Im at the office and turned off the coverage. Im starting to see what forum member see (and don't see) in him. Admittedly, I dislike Contador too much to root for him, but I'm starting to have those same feelings for Schleck.

I played basketball at a high level years ago, and one thing you never heard me do was blame the court or rim for my bad game :rolleyes:

Apollonius said:
Andy complaining that descent finishes shouldn't be allowed.
Poor sport.

OK, so let's get rid of mountain top finishes and while we're about it, those sprint finishes are a bit dangerous, they'd better go as well. And those TT just aren't fair!

Poor Andy. Still at least he can still win the 2010 Tour de France.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Andy is not a champ.. Not on bike, not off bike. Always when something goes wrong, he is crying and comes with bad excuses.

Grow up, Andy.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Are you serious? Is there a link for that?

"Is this really what people want to see?" Schleck asked soon after the stage won by Thor Hushovd. "I think the parcours was really badly chosen today. We don't want to see riders crashing or riders taking risks. Everybody has family at home, and finishes like this should not be allowed."

From itv

10 chars.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Didn't just leave him. Stabbed him the back then almost raided the entire team.

The fact that most of them left indicates there were some problems. They hardly stabbed him in the back. He was courting Contador long before he knew Leopard was forming.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
andy schleck has shown totday he will never win a tour de france. he should retire, becomes he's making himself look like the biggest tool in history, no one can take him serious anymore except some blind chauvinist luxemburg fans

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
The fact that most of them left indicates there were some problems. They hardly stabbed him in the back. He was courting Contador long before he knew Leopard was forming.

leopard just waved with the most money. but hey karma is a ***** I can't imagine how hard riis is laughing tonight

Ryo Hazuki said:
andy schleck has shown totday he will never win a tour de france. he should retire, becomes he's making himself look like the biggest tool in history, no one can take him serious anymore except some blind chauvinist luxemburg fans

What’s funny is last year when he gained time on the cobbles that was ok in terms of danger. But today when he lost time it’s not. Go figure that one out.