• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does club kit increase group ride safety?

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Recently I've had discussions with a fellow club member. We belong to a fairly large club (400+ members), however most club rides have few members sporting the club's official kit. The club has never made this a compulsory aspect of group rides for whatever reason.

My question is this: Do you think motorists pay more attention and/or treat a group ride with more 'respect' if the riders are in club kit?

My current hypothesis is yes. I believe that riders in matching kit presents a group that is more organized/serious as well as potentially more noticeable (regardless of club colours) when taking up space on the road as a group. As a result I believe cars will inherently be more forgiving in the space provided to the group while passing.

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences that support/dispel?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
oblewis said:
Recently I've had discussions with a fellow club member. We belong to a fairly large club (400+ members), however most club rides have few members sporting the club's official kit. The club has never made this a compulsory aspect of group rides for whatever reason.

My question is this: Do you think motorists pay more attention and/or treat a group ride with more 'respect' if the riders are in club kit?

My current hypothesis is yes. I believe that riders in matching kit presents a group that is more organized/serious as well as potentially more noticeable (regardless of club colours) when taking up space on the road as a group. As a result I believe cars will inherently be more forgiving in the space provided to the group while passing.

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences that support/dispel?

I doubt that matching kits make any difference to non-matching kits in a group of riders. However highy visible clothing is more easdily seen than dark clothing even on riders in a group.

I ride and drive in the Boulder, Colorado, area and I can tell you I see brightly clad bike riders (individuals and groups) much sooner than I see dark clad riders (especially in low light conditions).