• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Domenico Pozzovivo appreciation thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Brilliant today on Prati di Tivo
Clipboard.png

He's riding to be seen by the Italian public.
While he's in the front group he's on the RAI.
my 2 cents
Agreed. And why wouldn’t he just want to perform as well as he can in his final Giro, especially given he’s gotten knocked out of the race several times recently.

In addition, because of his lack of explosiveness the odds are pretty small of him winning a stage from a break.

I actually think it's the other way around. Pozzovivo has never been very explosive, and it's gotten a lot worse over the past couple of years. He knows he can't win a stage anyway, and therefor goes for a realistic goal instead, which is a decent GC position.
This is an issue that doesn't get enough attention. Too often people complain about riders going for GC over stages but not everyone has a skillset to be a good stage hunter. + if everryone thought like that, there would be so many riders going for stages and so few for GC that going for GC would be statistically a far better return.

He has been very close to the podium in multiple grand tours.
I wouldn't call him overrated, but rather fragile and bad at positioning himself. Too often at the wrong end of a split or involved in a crash and he get sick rather easy once the weather is bad.

Should have peaked for the Giro and not for Trentino in 2012, he could have podiumed without big problems and would have been fighting for the overall win.

He's hoping for top 10 & helping the "kids" -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-ditalia-it-would-be-nice-to-reach-the-top-10
"It would be nice to reach the top 10, a result that at my age would be a great pleasure. Furthermore, a presence in that part of the ranking would be a source of pride and visibility for the team. I will have many young teammates at my side, I think that during the three weeks I will be a point of reference for them. In particular, I think I can teach Pellizzari a lot."

"It's his first Giro d'Italia, but in a very different type of cycling compared to my debut in the Corsa Rosa. I had to worry about staying up and finishing the three weeks of the race. Pellizzari, on the other hand, arrives ready and with every possibility of aiming for a stage victory. Having me at his side will take some pressure off him and he will be able to pedal lighter."

L'Equipe have an article on Pozzovivo today- behind a paywall I'm afraid -
https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur...ovivo-j-ai-compris-ce-qu-etait-la-vie/1467171

He's hoping for top 10 & helping the "kids" -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-ditalia-it-would-be-nice-to-reach-the-top-10
"It would be nice to reach the top 10, a result that at my age would be a great pleasure. Furthermore, a presence in that part of the ranking would be a source of pride and visibility for the team. I will have many young teammates at my side, I think that during the three weeks I will be a point of reference for them. In particular, I think I can teach Pellizzari a lot."

"It's his first Giro d'Italia, but in a very different type of cycling compared to my debut in the Corsa Rosa. I had to worry about staying up and finishing the three weeks of the race. Pellizzari, on the other hand, arrives ready and with every possibility of aiming for a stage victory. Having me at his side will take some pressure off him and he will be able to pedal lighter."

L'Equipe have an article on Pozzovivo today- behind a paywall I'm afraid -
https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur...ovivo-j-ai-compris-ce-qu-etait-la-vie/1467171
Thanks for posting that.

Reactions: Sandisfan