• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Don't forget the dead guys

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
An interesting question is how many blood infections there have been from reinfused blood.

The only two I know of are:
Ricco - almost killed him.
Hamilton - owned up to at least one "bad trip" in his book.

I wonder if it is a lot more prevalent, but largely concealed, so long as they don't actually die in the process.

Do we have the actual autopsies and causes of death? Or is this just more conjecture and hearsay like half the crap in the clinic?

This is along the same lines of the Robert Millar article. Claiming 50% hemotacrit levels will kill you and the UCI is lucky there aren't bodies everywhere.

Ridiculous assertions without medical evidence to support the claims.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
mountainrman said:
This is a great article, worth reading - the hidden cost of doping.

A lot of it old news, but still a reminder that there is more than cheating to win at stake.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/39997062/

Good read , and thanks for sharing the article .
For those who still think that it comes without consequences , think again .
For those parents with up and comming kids , and at the same time i see you handing out bottles of red bull before hockey games at the minor level . Think again , think of what it leads to . I hope you love your children too .

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
mountainrman said:
An interesting question is how many blood infections there have been from reinfused blood.

The only two I know of are:
Ricco - almost killed him.
Hamilton - owned up to at least one "bad trip" in his book.

I wonder if it is a lot more prevalent, but largely concealed, so long as they don't actually die in the process.

Ullrich might have had one in one of the mountain stages. He had a horrible day, and I've heard him attribute that to food poisoning, but after reading Hamilton's book, I think his BB had gone bad.

Don't remember which stage and what year it was, will try to find out.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So where were the rest of the forgotten? I only saw two listed :confused:

The problem is that those who have died can't just look forward and forget the past, they only have the past. :cool:

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
So where were the rest of the forgotten? I only saw two listed :confused:

The problem is that those who have died can't just look forward and forget the past, they only have the past. :cool:

If you mean in that article, only one, as Johannes Draaijer died in 1990.

The one who was a patient in a psychiatric hospital is most likely Michel Zanoli, who died at age 35 on December 29, 2003.

Denis Zanette died at the dentist on January 10, 2003, aged 32.

Kenny Vanstreels died at the start of a race on March 2, 2003, aged 19.